Home Technical Talk

Low poly fit Highpoly?

Tsukari
polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
Tsukari polycounter lvl 5
Hey, guys!

The lowpoly is going through each other, and when i have my Highpoly it is not. Can someone explain to me if this is ok? Or when i bake, the lowpoly will not be showing through?

Low

High

Replies

• kanga
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kanga quad damage
    Nope. This will produce artefacts. You generally cant use the low poly version of your curvy hipoly for baking due to shrinkage deformation when you sub divide a mesh. Your lowpoly has to cover the hi, not like you have in the pics.The low doesn't match anywhere near enough in the pic directly above. Im not sure about baking in zB. You may get away with it. Only thing I baked in zB was a displacement map years ago.

If you are using an external baker I would check out some yt retopolgy tutorials.
  • Tsukari
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tsukari polycounter lvl 5
    Thank you so much! That helped me a lot! I did a little research after reading your comment and now i have a better understanding of how the low poly and high poly works!
  • kanga
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kanga quad damage
    Ah great. Like I sed. Dunno about baking in zB but I don't use it for baking because to bake textures you need a good set of uvs. By their own admittance pixologic only really have uvs to use for painting and noisemaker in zB itself. I can give you more information but first I need to know what you want the lowpoly for and what other 3D apps you have available. For retopology and baking textures you can just use a 3D app, but ideally you need an external baker to use in the process, like substance painter or marmoset toolbag. If you don't have these programs then you can use a free baker like xnormal, and if you don't have a 3D program for retopology and uvs you can download Blender for free.
  • Ghogiel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ghogiel greentooth
    Not many people are going to recomend baking in ZB unless it's a displacement map. assuming you have a decent UV, and you set the low poly geometry distribution up so it can subdivide enough in the right places to capture the high poly detail (which is not quite something you would normally do with raycast projection baking so it's already problematic)

It's been a 10000 years since I ever baked in ZB, but iirc you set a morph target for your low poly, ctrl D to sub it, project all from the high poly tools, and repeat a few times, then move down to lowest subdiv and switch morph target. As you can imagine it's not ideal as it's doing a UV projection, gives no fucks about hard edges and you still have the issue that you might have 20 subtools on the high poly with maybe 10 mil points, which you need to subD the low poly to that level to capture the detail. That might be wrong these days and might have missed an update in the last 10 years so it can can do projection baking between meshes, but I can't think of anything that does that off hand.
  • gnoop
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gnoop sublime tool
    Zbrush is a neat toy to make  fancy  pictures/ design concepts to impress  customers.      For true production it's  ether Substance Painter/Designers, Mari and photogrammetry.        And  baking normals in Zbrush is a nightmare.