Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

(Finished) Modular Dungeon Enviroment

polygon
Offline / Send Message
mar_torrales polygon
Been following this 3D Motive tutorial on how to make stylized modular enviroments and this is part of the progress so far.

Here are the low poly models assembled

A closer look to some of the elements of the enviroment.

Replies

• mar_torrales
    Offline / Send Message
    mar_torrales polygon
    Created a few tileable textures in Zbrush and Photoshop.

I did a timelapse video of the process of the wall texture creation, you can watch it here:
    <a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_W3Mbcc9Z2o">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_W3Mbcc9Z2o</a>

Here the final textures.

This workflow of scuplting the details in Zbrush and then compositing everything in Photoshop is not my favorite, since I'd rather use Designer, but well following what the tutorial was teaching.

Overall I like the result of the textures, specially of the wood one.

Any critique or recomendation will be appreciated!
  • mar_torrales
    Offline / Send Message
    mar_torrales polygon
    Hi!

After the textures for the walls and floor I went to texture the models I had already sculpted before.

For the door I just sculpted half of the stone arch since that part was to be duplicated and use the same uv's. Same goes for the pikes and the "hinge" of the door.

This are the low poly models after bake with the Normal and AO maps on them.

I just recently finished the texturing on the Pillar. So now I'm moving on to the door.

• Pirax
    Offline / Send Message
    Pirax triangle
    This is shaping up nicely so far, your texturing method is working well! Are you gonna include anything else in the scene? 
  • mar_torrales
    Offline / Send Message
    mar_torrales polygon
    Pirax said:
    This is shaping up nicely so far, your texturing method is working well! Are you gonna include anything else in the scene? 

Thank you! For now it's just the elements that are shown on the first pics. So the barrels and door and so on. I might add more later tho, to change things a little and separate my final scene from that one of the tutorial I'm following.
  • mar_torrales
    Offline / Send Message
    mar_torrales polygon
    Just finished texturing the door!

I made a timelapse of the process that you can watch here:
    <a rel="nofollow" href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UScu4vMS5LU">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UScu4vMS5LU</a> <br>

Now the elements that still need sculpting and texturing are the wooden pillars, the wooden beams, and the barrels. With the chains I doubt I'll be sclupting them since the chain links are so small. So I'll propably just texture them.
  • mar_torrales
    Offline / Send Message
    mar_torrales polygon
    I finished the other elements of the enviroment!

A bunch of different beams.

And the barrel and wooden pillar.

Here's a render of all the elements together.

• mar_torrales
    Offline / Send Message
    mar_torrales polygon
    I've been working on adding new props to the scene. So far the candles, scone, chair and charcoal have been sculpted and baked. The table and book are the next in line.

The random geometry on the walls are to be stand-alone bricks to give the walls more depth and variety. I guess this is something that could be done with a height map? But the tutorial went with this method instead. Wich is pretty interesting since I had never used it before.

The baked models ready to be textured in Painter. 

I still need to decide where the final enviroment will be presented. The tutorial used Marmoset and that was my original choice too, but I'd like the scones and candles to have some fire. So I'd either would need to figure out how to reproduce that in Marmoset, or maybe use UE4 and add the fire there.

As always any critique or recomendation will be highly appreciated!
  • mar_torrales
    Offline / Send Message
    mar_torrales polygon
    The new props for the enviroment!

Here you can watch a timelapse of the sculpting and texturing of the chair:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=21H1XryLgFE

With all the elements now ready I can start assembling the enviroment!
  • mar_torrales
    Offline / Send Message
    mar_torrales polygon
    Following the tutorial I got the elements to Marmoset for rendering.

Here are some renders of the scene.

This would be the end of the tutorial but I wanted my scene to have some fire in the scones and candles, and maybe some other effects. Some better lighting too. So I'll be assembling it un UE4.
  • mar_torrales
    Offline / Send Message
    mar_torrales polygon
    Final real-time renders from Unreal Engine 4!
    You can see the complete project here:
    https://www.artstation.com/artwork/A93JeN

Gtetting the fire of the torches and candles to look right was challenging since I didn't know much about particles. Though I really like how they ended up looking at the end.

Any feedback or critique are welcomed!
  • Vizimir
    Offline / Send Message
    Vizimir polycounter lvl 3
    Hi,
    overall I think it look pretty decent, I like the colors and mood of the scene, but i got some tips:
    - the floor looks a bit to flat, it would be good if some of the stones pop up more.
    - you got some strange light bleeding on the pillar next to the door, 

- with this one im picky, for me the metal parts of door swing are to close and overall proportions of it look a bit strange, I would try to give two metal bars a bit more space.

- It would by nice if the scene would be not a 1:1 copy of tutorial layout, you can design some more elements like ceiling, crates, weapon stack or fireplace, and arrange it in your own way to create whole room. This way it would make a better piece of your portfolio.

Overall, I think you on a good way to create really nice art. Keep it coming!

• mar_torrales
    Offline / Send Message
    mar_torrales polygon
    Thank you for the feedback! I really did not catch the flatness of the ground but you're right, it does feel very flat. With the weird lighting on the pillar by the door I did noticed before and tried to fix it but guess my lighting skills are not there yet. I'll give it a try again and see how it turns out.