Home Adobe Substance

Non random tiles placement

Hi,

I am still discovering SD. Great piece of sofware but quite difficult to learn !

I have a problem when it comes to tiles placement.

I am working on a marble pattern reconstruction from an archealogical site.

The floors tiles are made of different marbles and slate and is not regular.

This picture was assembled outside substance to have a better idea shows the floor as it was. It's only a very small part of the floor.

I can reproduce the patterns, this is quite easy. I can put the marbles where I want to. Not very difficult either, even though it's quite a tough job since there are more variations in marbles placement (some tiles have different marbles for each triangle corners and so on...) so it needs lots of masking.

But when it comes to assembling the patterns, it gives me headaches.

I could use the tile generator with patterns input but it won't work in this very case since I want to be able to place exactly where I want each tile on the grid (just like on my picture). I think I could this by masking but is there a quicker or easier way to do this so I can follow this very specific order ?

I think I'll first make a graph for each tile type (7 oh them) plus other graph for each color pattern.

Edit : I can use a transform 2d after each pattern, scale and place on the grid each tile at its specifc place. It's gonna take ages (I have 180 tiles to deal with :) )

Thanks a lot for you help !

Replies

• poopipe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe grand marshal polycounter
    Tile sampler has more options than the tile generator for handling distribution of input patterns, look at that
  • funky_chicken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for htis answer but using a distribution map would not allow me to tell exactly (no randomness allowed) to place each specific tile.

The only way would with transform 2d but it's not a good idea for this job since this texture will not be reused. I am going to have a more traditional approach and do this in substance painter.

Regards.
  • poopipe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You might be able to find an atlas builder on share/gumroad that would add images in order. Failing that it wouldn't actually be that difficult to build one - depends how comfortable you are with fxmaps
  • funky_chicken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi, not comfortable at all. Still something I have to discover.
  • poopipe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If you search for something that builds vfx flickbooks or atlases I reckon you'll find something you can use.

I've not done one myself unfortunately or I'd just chuck it up here
  • zachagreg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    zachagreg ngon master
    Honestly that work looks like a transform 2d wouldnt really be an issue, or just utilize a color mask made with out of the overall pattern and then edited in photoshop. You'd be removing that one step from the procedural nature but everything would be able to be kept around that. You'd take your completed pattern and various marbles and then output the pattern, color it up in PS and bring it back in to mask out the various marbles.

I feel like the colors hold an intrinsic pattern but without seeing the whole thing it might not be but I have a hard time thinking with this much work put in it would be random.