Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

(FINISHED) Stylized Game Character

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
ArshadM polycounter lvl 6
hey polycount,
this is my first ever stylized game character ive been working on for my portfolio,really looking forword to finish this piece and looking for some feedback on what i can improve on this character and i would really much appreciate thoughts on this.
thanks ^_^

Replies

• DavidCruz
    Offline / Send Message
    DavidCruz interpolator
    only one thing atm i can point out, see that thigh strap and what i assume is a pouch, make all straps that thick, it will read better at a distance, and the chest plate seems more pronounced than it is on the model currently, 
    very lazy gif hope its understood though add a slope and extrude the plates out more to allow the upper/ribs & chest.

you can go look at the how the f#$% do you model this to make the plated bits at the tech thread here on polycount.  You have to bevel all the things, and idk if using objects in place of the air holes for the chest plate will work or look good, if its part of the object it will look correct as if you were fabricating the plates yourself for real and the model you are working on will actually be made, is how you should look at the plating.
    So you are going to have to model those indents in, its not that hard and its good practice for the future projects better now than do whatever you want and then learn it later when you could just learn it now and be done with it.

these tire threads might work
    And i'd go look at some overwatch hair to try to get it looking great and take your time with all this if you want a piece that will stand out, to do this concentrate on one part of the mode till its nearing perfection and you are extremely happy with it, not happy enough like that is good enough you have to have a dumb smile on your face and be like yup that is what i want.  You have to be sure because when its all together you will look at all of it and notice whats wrong.  I sometimes have to redo things 3 times or more till i am like yea i am happy with that.  (i didn't used to like that i was a one and done type of guy now i can see the benefits of doing it like this.) Helps when things crash... better way to look at the lose of work. < - i will make it 2x's better now because of the crash. instead of it being a bad thing.

Hope that helps and others come around and point out things they see.(i will make mistakes like forget to add a piece under a foot plating area, cause i got nobody but me to go on with the things i do and if i ask for c&c nobody points it out, so maybe they over look it also, but it still happens so dont worry bout making a mistake here and there.)

• JohannesAg
    Offline / Send Message
    JohannesAg greentooth
    Looks cool but I would like to see the body shaped a bit more. She´s lacking some shapes especially in her legs. The girl in the concept looks like she has a little bit of muscle in her legs which makes sense if she rides a bike, but yours have very little definition. Also maybe give her some hips, doesn´t have to be much but right now they are pretty boy-ish

• ArshadM
    Offline / Send Message
    DavidCruz said:
    only one thing atm i can point out, see that thigh strap and what i assume is a pouch, make all straps that thick, it will read better at a distance, and the chest plate seems more pronounced than it is on the model currently, 
    very lazy gif hope its understood though add a slope and extrude the plates out more to allow the upper/ribs & chest.

you can go look at the how the f#$% do you model this to make the plated bits at the tech thread here on polycount.  You have to bevel all the things, and idk if using objects in place of the air holes for the chest plate will work or look good, if its part of the object it will look correct as if you were fabricating the plates yourself for real and the model you are working on will actually be made, is how you should look at the plating.
    So you are going to have to model those indents in, its not that hard and its good practice for the future projects better now than do whatever you want and then learn it later when you could just learn it now and be done with it.

these tire threads might work
    And i'd go look at some overwatch hair to try to get it looking great and take your time with all this if you want a piece that will stand out, to do this concentrate on one part of the mode till its nearing perfection and you are extremely happy with it, not happy enough like that is good enough you have to have a dumb smile on your face and be like yup that is what i want.  You have to be sure because when its all together you will look at all of it and notice whats wrong.  I sometimes have to redo things 3 times or more till i am like yea i am happy with that.  (i didn't used to like that i was a one and done type of guy now i can see the benefits of doing it like this.) Helps when things crash... better way to look at the lose of work. < - i will make it 2x's better now because of the crash. instead of it being a bad thing.

Hope that helps and others come around and point out things they see.(i will make mistakes like forget to add a piece under a foot plating area, cause i got nobody but me to go on with the things i do and if i ask for c&c nobody points it out, so maybe they over look it also, but it still happens so dont worry bout making a mistake here and there.)

hey, thanks for pointing out at those things.
    will definetly follow through with the feedback, lots of area needs more work. 
    that was helpful, thanks again ^_^ 

• ArshadM
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks cool but I would like to see the body shaped a bit more. She´s lacking some shapes especially in her legs. The girl in the concept looks like she has a little bit of muscle in her legs which makes sense if she rides a bike, but yours have very little definition. Also maybe give her some hips, doesn´t have to be much but right now they are pretty boy-ish

noted.
    thanks for feedback ^_^ 
  • ArshadM
    Offline / Send Message
    [UPDATE]
    i would love some thoughts on changes , will try to pose high poly to see where things are going with the sillouhtte.
    thanks ^_^

• enola
    Offline / Send Message
    enola polycounter lvl 2
    Hi Arshad, I think its going on the right direction! 
    One thing I can see is that her hands seem a bit small in relation to her body and in comparison with your concept. I know its a stylised character but I think looking at real life examples might help.

• ArshadM
    Offline / Send Message
    enola said:
    Hi Arshad, I think its going on the right direction! 
    One thing I can see is that her hands seem a bit small in relation to her body and in comparison with your concept. I know its a stylised character but I think looking at real life examples might help.

damn i completely missed that, i will definetly follow your refrence you posted.
    thanks for the feedback :)

• ArshadM
    Offline / Send Message
    [UPDATE]
    calling hp done, still need some thoughts on this before i move to low poly.

• Noth
    Offline / Send Message
    Noth polycounter lvl 14
    definitely knock that base body mesh out of the park before you get too far into the details.

Since the skull pauldrons are so large, definitely focus on those too next. Check out DarkSiders game sculpts for some insight on how to sculpt with strong planes, generally it's feeling a bit squishy and undefined. Don't be afraid of Trim Dynamics, get that hammer out and distinguish some planes like you have above the eye on the skull, that's probably the best sculpted part. 
  • ArshadM
    Offline / Send Message
    Noth said:
    definitely knock that base body mesh out of the park before you get too far into the details.

Since the skull pauldrons are so large, definitely focus on those too next. Check out DarkSiders game sculpts for some insight on how to sculpt with strong planes, generally it's feeling a bit squishy and undefined. Don't be afraid of Trim Dynamics, get that hammer out and distinguish some planes like you have above the eye on the skull, that's probably the best sculpted part. 
    Got it, Thanks for the feedback :)
  • ArshadM
    Offline / Send Message
    Alright, calling hp finally done.
    Moving to retopo.
  • ArshadM
    Offline / Send Message
    Low poly done.
    Character 49k
    Bicycle 73k
  • ArshadM
    Offline / Send Message
    Almost done with texturing. feedback would be really appreciated. Thanks :)
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    I want aggressive tanning patterns on this woman's skin.
  • ArshadM
    Offline / Send Message
  • ArshadM
    Offline / Send Message
    Need feedback on the texturing.
  • ArshadM
    Offline / Send Message
    Textures are done.now moving to presentation and posing the character. c&c are always welcome. 😄
  • ArshadM
    Offline / Send Message
    Posed in zbrush using transpose master.
  • ArshadM
    Offline / Send Message
    Finally calling it done . it took longer than it should have but here it is.thanks to everyone who gave feedback on this <3
    https://www.artstation.com/artwork/4bAVEk

• BohSheh
    Offline / Send Message
    BohSheh polycounter lvl 9
    tanning actually work wonders , I like it !
  • ArshadM
    Offline / Send Message