Home 2D Art Showcase & Critiques

Artist who never made it - am i ready?

polycounter lvl 2
Offline / Send Message
Rasti polycounter lvl 2
Hi im new here on polycount i would like to ask you guys for critique and tips , advice. I would like to get a job at game studio working in art team where i would be able to express my creativity and proof myself that i can be very capable artist although im chasing this goal hard, trying to improve i never had chance to get even on job interview not even paid contract, no freelance , only thing i always get is silence from people i try to contact.
 Am i ready ? Is my skill enough to get some paid job? Im not aiming for blizzard or id soft. etc.

Replies

• Will_Maccabe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Will_Maccabe polycounter lvl 3
    Hi, I quite like your rendering and you can definitely make nice pieces. Next, I think you should work more at the design process e.g. push things more and make them more functional (a critique is that the guns look a bit generic compared to other stuff i see) . I also think you need more portfolio pieces than that to break into concept art, and some environment art examples would be nice, to show you can do that too, so keep working at it!  Good luck with the next applications! 
  • Rasti
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rasti polycounter lvl 2
    Hi, will thank you so much for your comment its very valuable to me!
  • SSquir33
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SSquir33 polycounter lvl 12
    keep training and practising . the human character shows lack of anatomy knowledge - go back to the basics and build a solid foundation. portfolios are only as strong as its weakest piece. 
  • Rasti
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rasti polycounter lvl 2
    well, of course my anatomy isnt perfect , but it would be actually very helpful if you would say where what how is the lack of anatomy >????
  • Rasti
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rasti polycounter lvl 2
    ANAND BTW that HUMAN character has been designed base on this sketch, which in terms of quality and solid base needed for concept art is i would say more than good.
  • sacboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sacboi high dynamic range
    Can't fault your drawing, certainly solid from what I see especially the hardsurface stuff (my area of interest) also as I think you're well aware, a tough competitive sector of the industry too break into, either AAA or indie for that matter. So overall can be a number of factors at play for the lack of response to your submissions thus far whether timing or even luck can be in most cases the primary reason alone.

Anyway if this is a career you are willing to invest continued time and effort toward then I'd suggest creating a dedicated environment someone else upthread had already mentioned, highlighting those skills you've shown here alongside detailed workflow breakdowns as well but in your own style because in my opinion separates a given artist's natural abilities from the rest which hopefully may attract attention, going forward.

Hope this was helpful
    Goodluck.     
  • wilarts
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wilarts node
    Hi,

I know this is an older post but in response to your question about where the anatomy is lacking I would say is the fourth face on the bottom right with the male character. The plane of the front of the face's vanishing point doesn't match the vanishing points created by the side of his face. Its not an issue in the other three faces but in the fourth one the left cheek bone and side of the face past the eye is too visible in my opinion. 

Onto the full body render the left arm is odd. Considering the material of the jacket it looks a lot looser fitting and therefore you shouldn't be able to see the lateral deltoid protrude that far off since he isn't a bodybuilder styled character. 

Hope it helps you!
  • achiwo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    achiwo polycounter lvl 2
    Hmmm idk about polishing everything about anatomy knowledge and above all this idea of getting back to fundamentals.. i heard somewhere i guess the guys from flipped normals and other guys say thst fundamentals is a lifetime development you will not master completely, you are not meant to be an anatomyst or figure drawer expert.. your job is to bring ideas and  make previz for the 3d modelers.. those guys are the actual muscle pushing things to its polished phase. Of course you need fundamentals but just enough to make your ideas readable because your images are meant to communicate.
    Also you can check some heavy ppl from the industry work.. not just the polished marketing art, splash art.. ive seen some production sketches from guys at ILM  on their personal profiles even instagram and sometimes the faces are off and some photobashes of professional costume concept designers are not that accurate in terms of lighting and proportion, but they convey ideas  fast and make them readable... the "closer to perfect"  your craft is the better of course but yea.. it takes time. If you have problems dealing with anatomy just use photos to guide your proportions or 3dmodels from daz studio, make a quick screenshot of the thing and paste in phshop, paintover the skintone and tweak the features and then make iterations of it... i thing thats more useful than judt being a perfectionist draftsman, but thats me i guess.