Home Technical Talk

UV faces are black, but uv editor makes them blue

polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
primnull polycounter lvl 5
ok so a simple question i think (getting back into 3d after years doing a job and bored as heck)...

I am working on a knife model and am mostly done but am following a digital tutors guide. Simply, i turned on "shaded uvs" to see if I have flipped, overlapping etc faces and yes I do. So I select the faces which appear as red and bad in the editor and reverse them. Now they're black but in the editor they're blue which is good.

what is going on here?

ps nice to see the community is still active :)

Replies

• Kanni3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kanni3d ngon master
    You can make it all one UV shell, no need to split absolutely every triangle/polygon there. Doing that may also mitigate your issue, or atleast make it easier to solve.

The issue your describing is most likely just the normals being inverted, not sure what the maya equivalent is, but try flipping its normals back and forth, freezing transforms/clearing history etc.
  • primnull
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kanni3d said:
    You can make it all one UV shell, no need to split absolutely every triangle/polygon there. Doing that may also mitigate your issue, or atleast make it easier to solve.

The issue your describing is most likely just the normals being inverted, not sure what the maya equivalent is, but try flipping its normals back and forth, freezing transforms/clearing history etc.
    side question for that...
    say I uv without triangulation, texture it all done and good. If I triangulate the model can I apply the same texture or no?
  • Kanni3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kanni3d ngon master
    @primnull
    yes of course, the texture will apply fine, the only time you may run into issues, is when baking a normal map (which relies on your tangents/triangulation), and you would apply that same normal map to the same model, but with different triangulation on some faces.
  • primnull
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ok good good.
    still working on bad faces, not sure how to fix this if reverse face doesn't work?
  • primnull
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ok nevermind. i redid the blade knife and finished uv - looks much better now