Home Technical Talk

Question for experienced hard surface artists (Modo MOPS vs. Blender Hard Ops etc)

polycounter lvl 14
Offline / Send Message
PollySong polycounter lvl 14
I'm a bit rusty when it comes to hard surface modeling, have been doing organic modeling/sculpting mostly for a while now, and I'm wondering what tools are considered the "gold standard" nowadays. I know it's subjective, but any input would be appreciated. I do most of my poly modeling in modo and have been looking at the MOPS kit, but like most things in modo that isn't pure poly modeling it seems to be a bit clunky and convoluted. I would love a good reason to learn blender properly, but I don't know if it's worth the time if I'm comfortable/fast in modo? I'm also pretty comfortable in max and maya, but try to stay away from autodesk if I can.

Replies

• sacboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sacboi high dynamic range
    Well subjectively, I'd say Blender's addon library is a fairly good reason to at least test run a particular side by side workflow comparison with your app of choice and see how that turns out for you.

edit:
    an example of a experienced Max user's first hardsurface project implementing Blender:
    https://polycount.com/discussion/comment/2717089#Comment_2717089                                           
  • PollySong
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sacboi said:
    Well subjectively, I'd say Blender's addon library is a fairly good reason to at least test run a particular side by side workflow comparison with your app of choice and see how that turns out for you.

edit:
    an example of a experienced Max user's first hardsurface project implementing Blender:
    https://polycount.com/discussion/comment/2717089#Comment_2717089                                           
    Thanks. Yes, booted up blender and for some reason it was a lot easier to get into this time. I'll give it a go.
  • Justo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justo polycounter
    If you're looking into doing hard surface modeling in Blender, I cannot recommend enough Machin3's meshMachine addon. It's one of the biggest reasons I decided to jump into the Blender hype around 2.8 and try push out some projects in there. The addon allows you to work with very dense bevels, chamfers and other common hardsurface areas of interest almost non-destructively. 
  • PollySong
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justo said:
    If you're looking into doing hard surface modeling in Blender, I cannot recommend enough Machin3's meshMachine addon. It's one of the biggest reasons I decided to jump into the Blender hype around 2.8 and try push out some projects in there. The addon allows you to work with very dense bevels, chamfers and other common hardsurface areas of interest almost non-destructively. 
    Thanks for the tip!