Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

ACR Weapon

Wolfer
polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
Wolfer polycounter lvl 7
Hi there wanted to show my ACR weapon and see if there is anything I can do to improve it.  I'm going to include the reference i used so you can see what I based it off of.

Replies

• Tiggis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tiggis triangle

Here is some feedback for you. The proportion is off. The ejection port is very small/thin, cartridge deflector or what it's now called should be closer to the ejection port. The pistol grip on yours is blocky, it should have a more smooth curve to it and connected to the lower receiver/smooth transition. The stock could also use more work, right now it's a bit too blocky and it's missing details. The barrel could also use some more work, for one it's missing a hole/tube. Rails looks a bit of too. Charge handle is missing. You also got jaggy edges and gradient on your surface. Here is a larger reference image of the one you posted.

In terms of render, it's very dark and hard to see. The textures could also use more love/character/story. I also recommend you to work/pay more attention to your reference images, because they are very important for both the model you are making, but also for the texturing too.

• Wolfer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wolfer polycounter lvl 7
    Which part is the ejection port.  Also how should I approach it to be made more smooth curve. What approach should I take to fix the jaggy edges and gradient on the surface.
  • Tiggis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tiggis triangle
    Wolfer said:
    Which part is the ejection port.  Also how should I approach it to be made more smooth curve. What approach should I take to fix the jaggy edges and gradient on the surface.

The large side port on your weapon that ejects your emty cardridges. Look up videos/images on how weapons funtion, so you get a better understading how things are made and funtion. How you should make these more smooth transtion/curve surfaces is up to you, bevel/chamfer is one way. One more thing on your high-poly, work with less geometry, easier to deal with topology and let something like opensubdiv/subdivion surface modifier/whatever your program is using to smooth, do the heavy work you. Jaggy edges has could be that your uv islands edge not being straight. Gradient on your surface has to with your smoothing groups/sharp edges.

You should also watch ChamferZone's UV video on Youtube.