Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

1969 DeTomaso Mangusta Racecar

polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
D3lux polycounter lvl 3
Hey guys,

Here's what i've been working on for the past month im excited to share it with you finally.

Model and texture by me but for the render i used the automotive visuals scene in Unreal made by Sungwoo Lee with a few tweaks and lights. Final touch up done in Photoshop.

Here is the artstation post for better pictures if you like : https://www.artstation.com/artwork/w8g035

If you want to check some of my other projects here is the link to my profile : https://www.artstation.com/i_stamenovski

C&C are always welcome, hope you like it :D

Replies

• Ashervisalis
    Offline / Send Message
    Ashervisalis grand marshal polycounter
    That car is looking sweet! There is something a bit off about the image, and I'm trying to figure out what it is. I think part of it is the lighting. There are huge washed out areas where the lighting hits, which doesn't look realistic, and there are barely any areas where the lighting creates sharper highlights, which I think the images are missing.

Would be nice if the glass was a bit more reflective as well. Your modeling is solid!
  • lluc21
    Offline / Send Message
    lluc21 polycounter lvl 5
    That's looking good! 
    As Ashervalis said, there seems to be normals doing funny things. Maybe the smoothing groups got messed up on export.

I am noticing some details that throw me off of the picture and telling me that this is somehow not a finished piece.

1- The roof looks very flat. Even though the real car has quite a flat roof, it has some curvature to it, which helps to catch the light and give interesting reflections. The same applies to the windshield.

2- I am no expert on this at all, but the lighting can be improved a lot. Right now it is not helping you showcase the model. 
    I'd recommend you to look into studio car photography. This channel in particular is really good: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJF1yPsci90

3- I'm not sure if it is WIP, but the rear lights are lacking texture, and even if everything else looks great, having such a crucial thing wrong, or halfway done, really breaks the illusion.

4- The car paint material could be improved a lot too. I'd start by adding a clear coated material, which will help with the multilayer paint effect and giving it more glossiness without affecting the lower layer, but that might need tweaking too.

This is looking great already as a model alone, but I think it needs that last push to look good as a complete piece.
  • D3lux
    Offline / Send Message
    D3lux polycounter lvl 3
    Yeah it was my first time doing an automotive render in unreal thats why i used a pre made scene so i can experiment but there is still a lot to learn as i can see hahahaah.

And i had trouble with exporting materials from substance to unreal i think thats why the glass is not so reflective and the materials look a bit washed out, and the feedback about the roof is right i didnt think about that when i was modeling it, i just thought it was an old car and most of them had flat roofs.... well not completely flat but will keep that in mind.

About the rear lights i didnt have references about how they looked inside and i just put an emmisive material on them and called it a day, which in hindsight is a stupid thing from my part hahahahah.

And about the car material i tried different materials and paint with flakes in it and clearcoat but it just didnt look right to me, because its a race car and it wouldnt make sense to have a clearcoat and flakes in the paint, so i just put a simple materials with roughness and added a bunch of variations of dirt, dust and scratches but yes a clearcoat would add that extra flare to make it more interesting.

Anyway thanks a bunch for the feedback i still have long way to go, but at least if my modeling is solid im getting a bit closer  =)