Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Derelict Hotel (UE4 room)

DavidMcKenna
polycounter lvl 2
Offline / Send Message
DavidMcKenna polycounter lvl 2
I am doing an abandoned hotel lobby in a 1800's-1900's style as a room I will be building in UE4.
I have gone back to school, and this is for my main assignment/portfolio piece so I want to to be impressive.

Here is the concept I have painted up, but the real goal is an interesting and impressive 3D environment.

I want to get some feedback and suggestions on the concept in terms of:
Layout, Story, Interest, lighting, Prop choices, Historical relevance. Or anything else in terms of making an intriguing and impressive Environment Art portfolio piece.

Replies

• DavidMcKenna
    Offline / Send Message
  • teodar23
    Offline / Send Message
    teodar23 sublime tool
    I think that the whole room should be the focus of the scene and ratty mc-rat-face distracts from that. Maybe make him smaller and more to the side. The top floor on the right side should have some props or some wall, as it is looks like an open space or a hangar.
    As for story, maybe do some damage to the top railing, like someone or some thing fell from the second floor and made that massive hole in the ground.
    Maybe do some books scattered around the floor like there was an earthquake or some thief came looking for something and threw the books around. Maybe that back window is broken and wind blew in and turned some papers into litter...

Edit: just realised that window keeps the wind out... wind owt... wind ow... hordor
  • Gheromo
    Offline / Send Message
    Gheromo polycounter lvl 11
    block everything out based of whatever you have in the concept and start doing adjustments in 3D. Plan all assets build all structural elements on the grid if possible and keep it modular it will save you time in the long run.
  • DavidMcKenna
    Offline / Send Message
    teodar23 said:
    I think that the whole room should be the focus of the scene and ratty mc-rat-face distracts from that. Maybe make him smaller and more to the side. The top floor on the right side should have some props or some wall, as it is looks like an open space or a hangar.
    As for story, maybe do some damage to the top railing, like someone or some thing fell from the second floor and made that massive hole in the ground.
    Maybe do some books scattered around the floor like there was an earthquake or some thief came looking for something and threw the books around. Maybe that back window is broken and wind blew in and turned some papers into litter...

Edit: just realised that window keeps the wind out... wind owt... wind ow... hordor
    Good bye rats! least for now.

I think, In terms of the top side I should add a few windows, some beams, maybe slant the roof in those area's.

• DavidMcKenna
    Offline / Send Message

Blocked out in UE4, more refined models will be replacing everything in here, Want to get the size right first. Lighting is temporary as well. Materials are also stand-in.

Thank you for the feedback so far.
  • DavidMcKenna
  • Sora123
    Offline / Send Message
    Sora123 polycounter lvl 5
    tips to make it more dramatic. You can add plants outside the windows and let it move. Then add a light source while casting shadows from that plant. Maybi that can be in a form of a monster? Just an idea that came op in my head.
  • teodar23
    Offline / Send Message
    teodar23 sublime tool
    Looks good overall but that door looks too small. If you look at old mansions the height of a floor is quite big (which you kinda got right) and the doors were very tall. Of course there are exceptions to that rule but it looks odd to my eye to have a double door entrance with such a small height.
    Another thing, the crossing at the second floor looks too saggy. To me, that would just fall if it were to reach that angle. Maybe make just the middle pieces saggy and straighten the outer crossing sections that are most likely embedded in the wall.
  • DavidMcKenna
    Offline / Send Message

I have not posted here in awhile, But here is where the scene is atm.
    Also, to everyone who has taken the time to post feed back. It has helped both the scene so far, and also myself as an artist. Thank you :)
  • teodar23
    Offline / Send Message
    teodar23 sublime tool
    Looks good, maybe a bit too dark but its getting there.
  • DavidMcKenna
  • DavidMcKenna
  • DavidMcKenna
  • Ashervisalis
    Offline / Send Message
    Ashervisalis grand marshal polycounter
    Looking great!!!!
  • DavidMcKenna
    Offline / Send Message
    Looking great!!!!
    Thanks Thomas!
  • DavidMcKenna
    Offline / Send Message

I was thinking about stuff that should be in the sub level, And did a furnace sketch.
  • DavidMcKenna
    Offline / Send Message

Peeling wallpaper
  • Aionard
    Offline / Send Message
    Aionard polycounter lvl 2
    That wallpaper brought me here from the landing page.... Would you care to hint how you've achieved that? I'm currently playing through RE:7 and got super inspired for some old derelict env work.  
  • DavidMcKenna
    Offline / Send Message
    @Aionard It took me a little under a week of experimenting, tweaking and trying out different possibilities to figure it out, I am a lot happier with this method over what I had been doing previously. Now that it is figured out I think it is giving better results over my previous methods and is less work as a bonus. It is more steps but I found it saves on a lot of tedious work.

Here is the method I came up with/am using above.

Unwrap the wallpaper first, this was important as most of the walls in the scene have the pattern line up with each other, edit the geometry for anywhere you want the paper to tear or have holes. Separate Material_id and uv's for the opacity channel to get the torn edges. The same material is being used on the edges and the backside of the paper, with one difference: The edges use a version with an alpha channel in the diffuse, The backside diffuse dose not (except at the edges on the backside).

Apply cloth sim in 3dsmax, plus any collision objects or cloth>groups you want. Once happy with the results, Collapse the stack. Add the ProOptimiser modifier to make the poly count manageable while keeping the silhouette/overal shape, be sure that "Protect Borders" and "Keep Textures" are both checked.. Collapse to edit poly again. Go to top menu: (Modeling>geometry (all)>Quadrify All) just to keep things a little cleaner and easier to touch up manually. If some of the area's where the paper folds over itself need adjusting, I find using FFD modifiers in combination with soft selection with edge distance checked is a good way to make it less tricky. FFD mods are my best friend. Add the shell modifier so that you have a backside to the paper. add a slight bit of inner_amount and outer_amount so that the geometry is not completely in the same space (if it is, then the shadow maps will bake black in UE) collapse and delete the edge created by the shell mod. add the backside material to the backside. If you feel like it, Delete any areas on the backside that cannot be seen or do not cast a shadow where a shadow might need to be seen.

Bring into Unreal Engine, use vertex painting to blend to materials to match the torn edges and also break up repetition of the pattern on the wall. If this method is to your liking feel free to use use it, Hope this helps :)
  • Rayharry
    Awesome work! Would love to see that scene in realtime and explore it :) And really nice work with the wallpaper, I'm using 3ds Max too and have come up with similar solutions to that 
  • Aionard
    Offline / Send Message
    Aionard polycounter lvl 2
    @DavidMcKenna
     Thanks a lot! I'm a blender user but most of what you describe is transferable, pretty work intensive, but damn those results speak for themselves, I'll give it a try for sure. keep at it, that env is shaping up to be exceptional! 
  • DavidMcKenna
    Offline / Send Message
    Aionard said:
    @DavidMcKenna
     Thanks a lot! I'm a blender user but most of what you describe is transferable, pretty work intensive, but damn those results speak for themselves, I'll give it a try for sure. keep at it, that env is shaping up to be exceptional! 
    Thank you for the kind words :)
    Let me know how it works out for you?
  • DavidMcKenna
    Offline / Send Message
    Rayharry said:
    Awesome work! Would love to see that scene in realtime and explore it :) And really nice work with the wallpaper, I'm using 3ds Max too and have come up with similar solutions to that 
    It runs real time on my pc. At the moment I don't know how to share Unreal levels, But if I figure it I will be sure to post it for exploring.
  • DavidMcKenna
  • oraeles77
    Offline / Send Message
    oraeles77 polycounter lvl 4
    I just wrote elsewhere, one of my pet hates is misuse of the word abandoned when describing buildings etc. so I appreciate your use of the word derelict!
  • DavidMcKenna
    Offline / Send Message
    Replaced the wall panels/frames from the earlier stand-in.They are supposed to look like gold leaf on wood, with the leaf flaking off. not sure if that is being conveyed or not. If it isn't I would like to hear some suggestions to improve it. When I get started on the furniture I plan on including gold leaf of them as well so the frames tie in more with other assets. I am still thinking through what I am going to put in the frames. because they are tall, portrait paintings would be an easier fit then landscape paintings. Although Landscape may offer more in terms of working in story.
    2 files 
  • valentin_baguirov
    Offline / Send Message
    valentin_baguirov polycounter lvl 3
    Dude this is so sick!! 
  • DavidMcKenna
    Offline / Send Message
    Dude this is so sick!! 
    Thank you!
  • DavidMcKenna
    Offline / Send Message

Ran the carpet and floor through some simulations and brought them back into the scene.