Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Interior with evening light attempt

node
I know that I failed, but I can't exactly name what I should work on to make it better

Replies

• jStins
    Offline / Send Message
    jStins interpolator
    Far too dark. I can't see anything at all. (Your image isn't showing up.)
  • Creepezel
    jStins said:
    Far too dark. I can't see anything at all. (Your image isn't showing up.)
    Haven't even noticed that it dissapeared after posting... Thanks for reporting that xd
  • jStins
    Offline / Send Message
    jStins interpolator
    Hey it's a start! Are you working from a reference image? Post it if so, get some ref if not! Some of the proportions feel off on your props with regard to modeling. 

Night scenes can be tricky since they need to be 'dark', but you typically still want contrast and depth in the image. Start by thinking about the motivation for your key (main) light in the scene. Is it moonlight coming through the window? A streetlight? Set your light direction, color and intensity based on the light's motivation. I'd say that whatever is emitting the light, it needs to be brighter and bounce around the scene a bit more. Work with only the key light and your light bake / bounce settings to push the lighting as far as you can before adding any secondary lights to the scene. What are you using to render this image? Unreal? Maya/Arnold?
  • Creepezel
    Everything made in Blender, rendered with cycles. There was no reference, just imagnation, let's call it that. I just tried to make some simple classroom that could feel a bit like abandonned from some time. For the light, I was trying to imitate situation where sunset shines directly at the windows, so behind them I've placed 3 separated area lights. About the brightness, I wasn't really sure and ended up with that dark.
  • teodar23
    Offline / Send Message
    teodar23 sublime tool
    As suggested previously i recommend getting some refs. Not to replicate them exactly but in order to get a gauge of where youre at and what to improve. You might want to look at a class room ref just to get the proportions right. As it stands the room seems too small. You might want to get some refs for clasroom tables and chairs and blackboards and so on. Then look at some distressed walls and floors and fix those textures.
    Good luck
  • jStins
    Offline / Send Message
    jStins interpolator
    Yup. References are essential! Working solely from the mind's eye leaves out far too many details. 

https://www.flickr.com/search/?text=abandoned%20classroom%20
  • Creepezel
    Thanks a lot for this feedback. At least now I know what I'm doing wrong :D For now I will prepare for myself just a small interior to get to understand that lighting, then I will try to re-build a class but without using only my imagination.