Home Quixel Megascans

Answered: Is there anything to do about the hole on the top of quixel trunks?

Offline / Send Message
Pinned
I've been using the Quixel library and have fallen in love with it, but I've noticed that practically all of their trunk 3d models have an hole in the top where you can look inside of it. I was wondering if there is any practical way of fixing this?

Replies

• Synaesthesia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Synaesthesia polycounter
    Could you provide a link to the asset in question with screenshots demonstrating the issue?
  • dom6547
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yes here's a pic. Sorry for the late reply. It's the same with every tree you see in the photo + others in the library.
    Link: https://quixel.com/megascans/library?search=trunk

• zachagreg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    zachagreg ngon master
    I believe it is done on purpose, those are meant to serve as a base to put tree geometry on top in something like Speedtree, Max, or Maya. It's so that you have a very nice photoreal base where the player is and then a less dense canopy that you build on top of that. They do have some of the smaller trunks that are stumps or broken though that you could use.

If you wanted to make something like that one with a wood texture on top, I would go into Max. Cap the hole and then align one of their wood ring decals to the top of it for the material. Then you can edit that to either be a flat cut or boolean in some objects to make it look like the tree snapped off. (You would have to remap the wooden decal on top though so your UVs aren't trashed.
  • Synaesthesia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Synaesthesia polycounter
    Ah, right, I see now. These are open meshes, you'll notice it's classified as such next to the scale/assembly icons. Open in our terminology means that it's not watertight. These are meshes designed for foreground placement or in areas where you won't see the top or bottom of the mesh.

You can try capping them but I wouldn't recommend it - they're designed specifically for the purposes I mentioned and you'd need to do a lot of work to get them to look different.