Home Technical Talk

modeling hull plates on Maya

Rolf
polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
Rolf polycounter lvl 3
Hi all, i try modeling shell plating on my ship model,my problem is that the hull plate lines come out not very smooth and straight.
I first created the basic form, then added a texture to it with the contours of the skin on it, and by means of retopology using the quad draw tool, I started modeling shell plating.I need advice on how to make it more even as in the screenshots below.

that what i try make

Replies

• icegodofhungary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    icegodofhungary interpolator
    It is difficult to understand what you are trying to make. Which part of this is your work and which part is by another person? I am not sure what you mean by flat lines as one of the examples you point to is not a straight line.

I can only suggest the basic box modeling technique and use normal maps for the plates rather than modeling them individually. Unless you're trying to simulate destruction where the plates will be separated in an animation.
  • onionhead_o
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    onionhead_o polycounter lvl 16
    you should model it as one single mesh first for the hull and get the shape right. then subdivide until you get enough resolution to cut the panels. then you seperate the panels as needed. Another thing is that window are much denser then you hull geo and thats gona result in a lot of tris ending to one vertex.
  • onionhead_o
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    onionhead_o polycounter lvl 16
    Also look into using creasing.