Solved

polycounter lvl 2
Offline / Send Message
Jonas_trms polycounter lvl 2

Replies

• rexo12
    Offline / Send Message
    rexo12 interpolator
    A good start! This is going to be a bit of a wall of text, but I'm just dedicating a paragraph or so to each image you've given us.

First, for all the examples, tone down your normal details. It's a common mistake with beginners to add a whole lot of gritty and really intense noise to their height/normal information, because it's an easy way of making a texture look interesting. However, It tends to also make it obvious that the model is CG. May I ask how you are painting these? Are you using a PBR shader?

The dish looks very flat, I would reintroduce (assuming you've baked this down) geometry on the dish so we can see the parabola in the silhouette of the model. I like the modelling on the receiver (?) struts, however I think the little circular thing needs to be rethought - maybe some support loops to define the edges a bit better, so it doesn't look like a hole punched into a cube and then subdivided a bunch. Again, tone down the normal details on the circular thing. Your stand needs to be redone as right now it is just a rectangular prism. I think you're on the right path here.

The building looks fine at a distance, however I think it could benefit from some trim details and variation in the colour. Don't be afraid to use more MatIDs or more geometry if it's needed. Buildings are deceptively difficult to do in my opinion, so as a beginner don't add the stress of trying to aggressively optimise it too. 

Close up, however, It needs a lot of work. Your texel density is all over the place, but for the most part it is not high enough. The UVs are warped weirdly and I think you need to revisit your smoothing/beveling because the normals look a bit strange too. The polycount wiki has some articles on modelling buildings, but ultimately I think you should be looking at ways to split it into modular pieces that you can fit together, alongside bespoke trim pieces and detailing (pipes, cables, fuseboxes, vents, and so on) for any closeups you want to do - and consider whether you want to do any at all (keep it all at street level?). Again, don't be afraid to use more geometry or MatID's. Look into trim sheets and/or material layering if you're feeling adventurous.

The modelling on the lamp looks good, although I think the way the connector intersects with the spiral needs work. The main issue i feel is with the texturing. What is the noise on the glass? Why is it there - how did it get that way and what caused it? As you texture, you need to be asking yourself these questions, because these are the same questions that your viewer will ask as they look at your art. So if you can't give a proper reason - beyond "i think it looks good" - for why a particular scratch or noise is there, your audience won't be able to either and the piece will look false. I'd recommend avoiding generators and smart masks and sticking to hand-painting as much as possible as a beginner, as this way you force yourself to think about the decisions you make. I think you're almost there with this prop and it could look very good if you rework the textures.

Some wireframes of your props could help us look at your modelling and topology, too.

This is some reading that you could find useful:
    https://gamebanana.com/tuts/11530 - This tutorial in particular is quite good, and I send to almost everyone getting into texturing. It's for an older shading method but the theory is what's important here, which is universal.
    https://academy.substance3d.com/courses/the-pbr-guide-part-1 - Assuming you're using PBR, I'd recommend you read these (part 1 and 2), just to get an understanding of how light works, how the shader works, and what you need to know as an artist.

This is an ambitious project and I wish you all the best! Please don't get discouraged, as we all start somewhere, and I think your work shows potential.
  • Jonas_trms
    Offline / Send Message
  • Jonas_trms
    Offline / Send Message
  • teodar23
    Offline / Send Message
    teodar23 sublime tool
    Your models look very high poly, are you doing ths for film, or just to do a scene?
  • Jonas_trms
    Offline / Send Message
  • Jonas_trms
    Offline / Send Message
  • Jonas_trms
    Offline / Send Message