Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[Finished] Personal Project: RPG Character Real Time

triangle
Offline / Send Message
Roanna triangle
I started this project based on a illustration I did of my DnD character. I wanted to aproach a cartoon style with a bit more anatomical sculpting that I'm used too. So far I'm having a lot of fun on this project. I blocked the face, hair and body. Critiques are welcomed! 

Replies

• BagelHero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BagelHero interpolator
    Hey! this is a super lovely character! I did notice a few weak points in the anatomy, and missing shapes/muscles-- hope a quick draw-over was ok.

All refs shown (though not all used) pulled from Anatomy4Sculptors-- highly recommended for good artist-brain-oriented breakdowns and tips. Was better when their free site had a viewer that let you peruse these but they have an artstation profile you can check out, and it's a solid buy.

Notes:
    • Many forms appear to be drawn or carved on, rather than sculpted forms. Take the time to actually describe the whole form. Inner thigh a key area here, as well as ribs and back.
    • secondary forms and muscles in arm and leg missing in areas-- seem to intersect rather than resolve in appropriate ways, a bit much even for stylisation. A case of using more reference I think. Good ref for leg forms here.
    • forms of the torso are a little mixed around-- her tum is a bit low and juts out oddly, and it seems like her actual stomach area is missing. Even thin folks have a little bit of a convex shape in the middle =)
    • Don't need to be as heavy as I like them personally, but it does also appear as if her lats are missing too. Should be a little more mass under the arms.
    • Planes of the face a bit too simplified. Connecting tissue of the nose is present in the ref, it makes that lovely dark area across the nose, but is a harsh intersection in the sculpt. See: JohnAsaro Planes of the Head reference sculpt
    • Would usually assume the eye is stylized enough to not need the anatomy in the area to be detailed but the concept has enough thought with the heavy eyelid to really do another pass. pushing the corners back a little, and making sure that lid is heavy enough should really do it but pay attention to the lower forms a little more as well.
    • Neck needs to be just a little bit shorter and cleaned up. A bit wobbly right now.
    • Foot is curved noticeably inward. make sure to check references for feet and fix this-- I did kind of assume you didn't adjust this area much yet haha.
    Overall, I'd suggest dialing back the detail level a bit and fixing up the secondary then tertiary forms, before jumping back up to the higher res for color and details. Looking forward to seeing more progress and hope this isn't too vague-- if you need any clarification feel free to @ me.
  • Roanna
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Roanna triangle
    @BagelHero Thanks a lot for your feedback, It was really helpful. I did some ajusts based on your draw over and did some progress of the hands.
  • Roanna
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Roanna triangle
    I did some adjustments on the face and started blocking the clothes
    Just ignore the tail passing trough her head  :p
  • Roanna
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Roanna triangle
    Hey! I did some progress on the topology and textures. I made a UDIM for the textures and painted them on substance. 
    I exported the model to marmoset just to see how thing are going.
    Next step is the rigging and animation!! Criticts are aways valid! ;)

• Roanna
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Roanna triangle
    I finished the character some weeks ago and forgot to post the final result.
    More on my artstation:https://www.artstation.com/artwork/1neWYX