Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Finished! Giant of Fallen Mountain

interpolator
Offline / Send Message
jose.fuentes interpolator
Sup guys, ive been working on a bust during my free time.  Original concept is by Tooth Wu, anything stand out to you guys? Hair is just stand in for the moment, in the end they will be hair cards. Expression is still pretty neutral for the time being. Not sure if im going to do that before or after i retopo

Current progress 

Replies

• jose.fuentes
    Offline / Send Message

A bit of progress since last time, trying to get more of the smaller details and little nuances.  Next time i sit down to work on this im going to shrink the ears a bit smaller and try to tweak the angle of Ala and nostrils

Expression and Pores (noise) are temp and on layers and I just turn them on for renders

One thing im not sure how to handle is the scaring on the cheeks, how would you guys go about it?  Those are also on a layer as I can't commit to them as of yet 
  • jose.fuentes
    Offline / Send Message

I reworked some of the anatomy on the body, and reworked some of the facial details. I needed to take break from the face, so I started to block in the helmet. Helmet is still pretty early on, but I'm trying to block in my shapes and then refine. My goal is to get the helmet as close as I can in Zbrush only
  • jose.fuentes
    Offline / Send Message

Ive made a bit of progress on the helmet design 
  • jose.fuentes
    Offline / Send Message
    @JustAfterDark
    thanks for the feedback, hair is just place holder atm, it will be hair cards, great note on the wrinkles, varying the size of the brush will help greatly.  As far as the expression, at the moment is left neutral, and then I just turn on a layer with the expression for the render.  I'm debating doing a full facial rig for this

I will def address those next time I sit down and work on the face.  Im trying to get the helmet at the same level, before moving any further on the face
  • jose.fuentes
    Offline / Send Message

more progress on the helmet, almost done fully blocking it out, and refining.  Currently reworking the back/top piece that holds the horns 
  • jose.fuentes
    Offline / Send Message

Ive been working on some tertiary details lately, still a ways to go 
  • jose.fuentes
    Offline / Send Message

I'm starting to get to the point where I feel like I will start to wrap up my Highpoly soon.  I did some test renders trying to nail down that composition for the final renders. 

• jose.fuentes
    Offline / Send Message

Its been nice getting into some color as of late.  I'm still working on the albedo on the skin, havent started any of the other maps for the skin either.  I just get so excited having this on Marmoset, that i gotta start making some renders.  

For now I have the Horns at a good state, the skin is still very WIP, and the helmet is just a smart material at the moment.  I need some hair cards at some point 

But he is starting to come to life!

• jose.fuentes
    Offline / Send Message
    anyone here have some experience using Xgen?

Im trying to add a new guide after my initial set up, but when I do it comes in tiny, and cant figure out how to scale it to match the size of others.  My current set up is interactive groom.  I know that in the other xgen setup you can use a target guide modifier to achieve that result, just not sure how to do it with interactive groom.  Any thoughts?

• Notink
    Offline / Send Message
    Notink polycounter lvl 6
    Hi @jose.fuentes  
    You can use the sculpt guide tool and in the settings you can uncheck lock length. This way you can change the length of the guide manually.
    You can see how it is done in the middle of this video here. I hope that it can help you ^^
  • jose.fuentes
    Offline / Send Message
    @Notink thanks so much, def helped
  • jose.fuentes
    Offline / Send Message

I brought the character into unreal and have been working on the hair in xgen and some shaders in unreal.  It's starting to get there, I feel the end is in sight now.  The hair still needs a bit of work tho, so I'm going to go back rework it a bit 
  • pixelpatron
    Offline / Send Message
    pixelpatron polycounter
    Love the character, not digging that helmet design or color choice/texturing at all. 

The helmet looks like it's just a bunch of boxes and shapes intersecting. Doesn't look crafted or assembled from real materials. Doesn't look menacing or adding to the visual design of the character (if anything it detracts from him with the helmet on). I'd focus on a design that still allows for better visual reads on his eyes/mouth. Possibly something more open in those areas? Like this? 

As far as material reference, I'd aim your sights on something closer to this. 

Good luck. 
  • jose.fuentes
    Offline / Send Message
    @pixelpatron
    thanks for the notes, the design is based on the orignial concept.  I'll reference your material suggestion for sure 
  • jose.fuentes
    Offline / Send Message

Update in unreal.  Im not happy with how the hair is looking.  Perhaps its too thin?  Im also not quite sure how to get more color variation on the hair.  I am currently using the hair shader from the meet mike project.  It seems like the hair is not as visible depending on the angle of view.  What I did for this was use Xgen to geometry in Maya.

• jose.fuentes
    Offline / Send Message

Calling this piece complete!

Time to move on to the next one.  Check out more renders on my artstation 

https://www.artstation.com/artwork/zOQAe6
  • jose.fuentes
    Offline / Send Message
    It turned out great, Jose!

I know I'm late, but I faced a simillar problem with Sniper Wolf when making the hair guides. Depending on where I placed the 2nd one, it would retain the configuration from the 1st one or not. I believe it was something related to the distance between them, if they were too far from each other, they wouldn't "copy". Will try to confirm this once I start with Vegeta's hair.
    Thanks! I am pumped on how this turned out, hopefully the next one will be better 

As far as the Xgen Issue... What it ended up being for me, was that they new guides will come in at a standard scale, there is a tool or setting (I forget now, lol) where you can change the length of the new guides, then you can continue grooming!