Home Career & Education

Anyone new / just starting want to get together?

Hiya, I'm new to this whole scene. Like, really new.
I work a boring office job and I'm looking to get into 3D art, i figured it would be easier to learn if I had someone to work with and keep me accountable. 

I think it's too early for me to start looking for a mentor as I'm literally starting from zero.
I figure if even two of us can tall regularly on discord or such, show each other tutorials or anything else weve find that's interesting and give feedback it could speed up our development a lot. 

Anybody interested drop me a message and we can figure out the details.
I'm in London so anyone within my timezone is preferable, I'm usually free in the afternoons and weekends. 

Replies

• TheGabmeister
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TheGabmeister interpolator
    Try joining game jams in your location. That's how I started out getting to know people. The friends I met there eventually became my co-workers 2 years later.
  • UmiYao
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Try joining game jams in your location. That's how I started out getting to know people. The friends I met there eventually became my co-workers 2 years later.
    Thanks, It looks like there are a few coming up later this month, I didn't even realise this was a thing I could do.
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    We're here.  Ask away.  75% of my pre professional education is Polycount.
  • Alex_J
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Alex_J grand marshal polycounter
    There is a lot of discords already. Polycount has a discord, and there is big discord communities for specific disciplines of digital art too. Personally I find live chats like that to be more of a distraction than anything. Forums aren't as "in" anymore but I think if you serious about getting work done and learning, it's the better choice. Come in, get your answers, get full search capability, and you still get benefit of social pressure but you can do it at your own pace with no pressure to respond quickly.

Making a game is a great thing to do. But there's a lot of groups out there who are just spinning wheels and probably waste your time more than help. If you want to collaborate on project with some people, look for people who got a lot more experience than you and have a body of work that proves they get shit done. Be selective in who you associate with. It's important.

Like mentioned, a game jam is probably best option if you wanna make a game, cause then you know it's gonna get finished.

Good luck.
  • sacboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sacboi high dynamic range
    Also check out the modding community, dig around and see if there,'s a bunch of modders nearby tweaking a game you're into.
  • Ashervisalis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ashervisalis grand marshal polycounter
    Don't partner up with another newbie; you'll just lead each other down the wrong paths. There is nothing wrong with searching for a mentor when you're brand new; it'll just give you such specific guidance you'll learn faster. Join the polycount Discord or Slack!

I started doing tutorials by myself when I first started. If I had someone to give me specific guidance, I'm guessing I could have found a job a few years faster.