Home Technical Talk

Modeling of "peeled off" wall (or smth like that)

mantaskava
polycounter lvl 2
Offline / Send Message
mantaskava polycounter lvl 2
Hello,

Couldn't find the right word to describe this other than "peeled off", although I'm pretty sure there should be a better word for this. But the case looks like this:

I'm having problems with these corners marked in yellow, cannot find the right topology for it to work.

Base geo now looks like this:

After subdivision I get this:

I feel like I am missing something very obvious (and maybe not), but how do I solve this? And of course, in the end it has to have some thickness.

Thank you.

Replies

• oglu
    Offline / Send Message
    oglu polycount lvl 666
    What are you trying to model? Do you have any ref images? 
  • mantaskava
    Offline / Send Message
    First image is a ref.
    Basically I am having problems with those corners pinching after subd. 
  • Tiggis
    Offline / Send Message
    Tiggis triangle
    Add a support loop Here.
  • Kanni3d
    Offline / Send Message
    Kanni3d ngon master
    Needs much more geometry, not only support loops, to have a good final sub-d result. Also, add thickness to see a better result as well, since it's just a plane, and doesn't have any volume to sub-d off of.
  • FrankPolygon
    Offline / Send Message
    FrankPolygon grand marshal polycounter
    @mantaskava Is this a wall sink?

Some trades have very specific names for curves (so it can vary depending on who you're talking to) but the concave area where the wall and the sink meet is generally called a fillet. The convex areas on each side in the front of the sink are generally called rounded (radiused) corners or rounds.

Here's one approach to modeling this shape: Start with the wall and block out the basic shape of the sink. It's OK to use manual adjustments to get the basic shapes established but once that's done try to avoid manually pushing geometry around. The key to making this a quick and easy project is to keep the surfaces true by relying on tools and subdivision to generate the curves.

Focus on creating the shape of the sink first and add the rest of the wall later. Use a chamfer / bevel on the edge loops to add the fillets and round overs. Use the minimum amount of geometry required to hold the shape and let the subdivision do the work.

Depending on how detailed this needs to be, it would be possible to throw a shell / solidify modifier on it and call it good. Adding the basin and drain requires a little extra work. This can be done in conjunction with a thickness modifier or as shown below.

Extrude the outer edges, fill the top faces and establish the basic loop flow. Use inset or extrusion operations to add the appropriate thickness and taper to the basin. Add support loops with a chamfer or bevel operation. Delete the back side of the sink (minus the basin) and add the rest of the wall. Line up the new wall section's edge loops with the edge loops on the lip of the basin and the rest should fall in place.

Block out the shape, establish good edge flow, leverage tools and subdivision modeling where possible. Remember that the goal of subdivision modeling is to approximate the shape and either limit shading errors to small area or average them out over a larger area.

The appropriate number of chamfer / bevel segments and support loops depends on the project's requirements. Minimizing n-gons and triangles will require additional work either in edge flow planning or some manual cleanup near the top of the sink where the wall meets the lip of the basin. Which trade offs make sense will depend on whether the mesh is for baking game models or rendering product images.
  • mantaskava
    Offline / Send Message
    Yes this is a wall sink. Thank you all, and especially FrankPolygon, for this detailed info. I'll give this a shot again as soon as I have some spare time.
  • HazardousTrio
    one doesn't see such great walk-through every day... thanks for the clear explanation  <3  
  • pachermann
    these are my favorite topisc on polycount