Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Phalanx CIWS

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
justintaylor polycounter lvl 10
Always loved the design and concept of the U.S navy's phalanx Ciws in games and films. Finally got round to making it and so here is what i have so far. in terms of modelling i have like a few odd wires to add in here and their but i feel like the texturing needs some more work and detail.  Other main thing that needs to be done is to redo the ammo chain belt.

Pretty happy with the outcome so far but i would love to hear any ideas and crit on how i could improve it and present it better.

Replies

• justintaylor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just a quick update, decided to just put it in Unreal Engine and play around with the lighting and materials.

• issam.itmk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    issam.itmk polycounter lvl 6
    very clean job, but it shouldn't be that clean too, what about some imperfection ?
    in my opinion, adding some decals, damage, would be great !
    the top tank too much rivets too.

anyway this is my opinion ^^ but it's still an awesome work !
    keep working on it and good luck
  • justintaylor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Went back and redid the ammo belt and worked on the textures some more. 

• justintaylor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    very clean job, but it shouldn't be that clean too, what about some imperfection ?
    in my opinion, adding some decals, damage, would be great !
    the top tank too much rivets too.

anyway this is my opinion ^^ but it's still an awesome work !
    keep working on it and good luck
    Thank you very much yeah its shaping up to be a decent piece. That was the plan to add some more subtle imperfection to it. I have a noise map for the grey metal but it seems you cant really see it in a lot of the renders.

So i agree with you on the decals (that was always 
    the plan) but i disagree on adding some damage as its not really the route i want to take it. 
    Regarding the rivets quickly it might be a tab bit more then it should but pretty similar to a ref i was following.

Thank for the crit thou :)

• justintaylor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So i have been playing around with some of the textures in substance and materials  in unreal engine to get a more accurate look. I have also finally got round to adding some decals signs. Still need to tweak some textures and materials here. Not really sure how to i am going to present the asset in the final renders so if people have any ideas let me know.

• justintaylor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tweaked a few textures and decided to add a little stand for a few more interesting shots. Probably on the verge of finishing this but i am still thinking that the noise on parts of the Phalanx might be a bit to strong. Might test some more changes out but i think i am going to finish the project fully in a day or 

Would really really appreciate any crit on this piece to make it better or if anything looks wrong or off. 

• justintaylor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Decided to completely remake all of the lighting in the scene for the asset. The reason for this is because i felt that i did the previous lighting half heatedly and that i could really push the project with good lighting. Had to then re edit the shots as well but overall looking at it i think it was really worth it. Happy to finally call this project done and move on to the next.