Home Technical Talk

Does a viewport camera "tumble about point" mode exist for 3DS Max?

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
Sparkwire polycounter lvl 9
Hey all! Does anyone know if there is a "tumble around point" option for 3DS Max similar to the way 3D-Coat does it? I've taken a quick video of 3D-Coat to show what I mean exactly. I'm wondering if there is a setting that i haven't been able to find, or some kind of plugin that exists to let me do this in Max.
Thank you in advance!

Replies

• Sage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sage polycounter lvl 19
    Max has an option to orbit around subobject and orbit point of interest. There are a bunch of different versions of orbit. It the icon next to maximize viewport icon. It's in the bottom right corner near where the pc shows time and date area. I think those do what you want.
  • Sparkwire
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sparkwire polycounter lvl 9
    Sage said:
    Max has an option to orbit around subobject and orbit point of interest. There are a bunch of different versions of orbit. It the icon next to maximize viewport icon. It's in the bottom right corner near where the pc shows time and date area. I think those do what you want.
    ah that works, thank you! one small problem though, if my mouse is off mesh, it rotates at an arbitrary point far away, and if im super up close in wireframe mode, the point is often picked to be far out behind the mesh. Is there any way to change the behavior?
  • poopipe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe grand marshal polycounter
    Most people go for the orbit around selected subobject option.  There's no room for confusion with that. 
  • Sage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sage polycounter lvl 19
    I prefer to zoom and orbit around selected subobject. I never used the other ones