Home General Discussion

Epic and Quixel

polycount lvl 666
Offline / Send Message
oglu polycount lvl 666

Epic Games and Quixel Join Forces to Empower Creators

As part of making the Quixel Megascans library of more than 10,000 assets free for all use with Unreal Engine, ten high-resolution packs have been shared today for free on the Unreal Engine Marketplace

Ohh yes im goin to build some great Environments with those assets.

https://www.unrealengine.com/en-US/blog/epic-games-and-quixel-join-forces-to-empower-creators

Replies

• Fansub
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fansub sublime tool
    Haha was working on a topic, you beat me to it! :D

Man we're beyond excited for this to happen! <3

Here's a super brief summary for what this means to you as a user:

- Megascans is now free for Unreal Engine users
    - Megascans subscription prices lowered for everyone
    - Bridge and Mixer 2020 will be 100% free for everyone

Check out our blog here: https://bit.ly/2qHOArM
  • oglu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oglu polycount lvl 666
    Yes and painting in the mixer. :D

• Fansub
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fansub sublime tool
    Oh man I'm so excited for this one! :D 'been using it for quite a while now and it's a blast to play with!

I'll let you guys know as soon as we have a beta! :)
  • Andreicus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreicus polycounter lvl 6
    ...i love you all
  • melviso
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    melviso polycounter lvl 10
    This is great!!! UE4 for the win. This makes ue4 even more attractive for cg artists worldwide. Substance painter and designer have some competition.
  • Synaesthesia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Synaesthesia polycounter
    It's really great to see you guys so happy about this! It's only the beginning. Wait until Mixer drops with the new painting update. It's gonna blow your mind.
  • Sebvhe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sebvhe greentooth
    New Mixer will be mind blowing indeed! Can't wait to see what the community will do with it! Exciting times!
  • Hellfire
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hellfire polycounter lvl 14
  • rollin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter
    For someone who knows Quixel only from the old awkward photoshop actions: you got my attention back
  • FourtyNights
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FourtyNights polycounter
    Thank god for this. I can finally let go of Substance Painter and switch to this in peace. So awesome that Mixer turned out to be a full 3D-texturing software.
  • melviso
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Will Mixer support painting across udim?
  • zachagreg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    zachagreg ngon master
    I can also say I am quite excited for this, when can we be expecting the release of the new mixer?
  • Synaesthesia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Synaesthesia polycounter
    Hopefully before the year is over. UDIM support is something we have planned as well.
  • zachagreg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    zachagreg ngon master
    Hopefully before the year is over. UDIM support is something we have planned as well.
    Sweet that's awesome. Didn't see anything about it and haven't used the other versions such as NDO or DDO or Mixer but will there be mesh baking as well or will that be third party?
  • Money
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Money polycounter lvl 8
    I'm so happy for Quixel.
    One question though. What happens now with Suite, specifically nDo? I know it's been kinda abandoned with the move to Mixer and Megascans, but I actually still find it quite useful in my workflow.
  • defragger
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    defragger sublime tool
    wait ... $199 per month for Indie ??
    Is this the new updated pricing?
  • Dash-POWER
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dash-POWER polycounter lvl 6
    It's not christmas yet but I'm sure that this time, it will be really hard for Santa/Jezisek.
  • zachagreg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    zachagreg ngon master
    defragger said:
    Isn't that for team pricing under 2M/year?
  • Prime8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Prime8 interpolator
    Exciting news, looking forward to see painting inside the Mixer.
    When I used the Quixel Suite, some years ago, I always hoped it would be a stand-alone product in the future, rather than being a plugin.
    I actually thought Quixel would abandon the idea of a painting tool, since the Suite stopped developing, happy to see you are working on this.
  • Udjani
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Udjani interpolator
    Oof, i was really worried that Autodesk would end up buying them, that's some good news!
  • Synaesthesia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Synaesthesia polycounter
    zachagreg said:
    Sweet that's awesome. Didn't see anything about it and haven't used the other versions such as NDO or DDO or Mixer but will there be mesh baking as well or will that be third party?

We do have plans for baking too!
  • Aabel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Aabel polycounter lvl 6
    Awesome, really happy to see this. It's going to be so awesome to have a 3d painting/texturing tool that I don't have to pay monthly for. Fuck ransomware and ransomware peddlers.
  • Justo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justo polycounter
    This is so exciting! 

rollin said:
    For someone who knows Quixel only from the old awkward photoshop actions: you got my attention back

I echo those thoughts! I had no idea about the existence of this Mixer thing...let alone being able to paint in that! And free! 

Maybe I'm getting too hopeful here, but if this Mixer thing could rival Substance Painter, and be free, my god...It's like the Blender of DCC apps for the 3D-painting texture artists. 

I have no idea about this Mixer thing but, would I be able to bring in models, texture them using this free megascans library, and export those textures into Marmoset/UE4/whatever engine? Or that would require me to be a subscripted Megascans user? Whatever the answer is, this is big news! 
  • melviso
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Justo Mixer is currently free for download. Just google Quixel Mixer. I think its still in beta. The new features in the vid they just released will be coming before the end of this year.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wd_sdFaYdIk

Blender has some sort of substance  painter features with eevee but substance painter still does a lot of things Blender can't. But somebody mentioned mask tools addon for Blender having something similar.
  • defragger
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    defragger sublime tool
    zachagreg said:
    defragger said:
    Isn't that for team pricing under 2M/year?
    yes it is.
    I just noticed that now it's also possible to use personal license as indie dev with less than 100k revenue or funding.
    We had to use the indie license before, when it was 59$ and later 29$ / month so I guess it's more affordable now at 19$ / month.
    They will probably change the license again in a few month anyway :P ... we will see.
  • zachagreg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    zachagreg ngon master
    Well Mixer will be free according to the release video for the 2020 release that is
  • Dataday
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dataday polycounter lvl 8
    Its too early for my brain to process this news. Its a massive curve ball that no one was probably expecting.
  • Udjani
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Udjani interpolator
    @Justo free megascan will work kinda like the paragon assets, meant to be used with unreal. 
  • GlowingPotato
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GlowingPotato polycounter lvl 10
    I never used any quixel software. Can mixer bake normal maps ? like painter ?
  • Blaizer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaizer interpolator
    Great news, no doubt. Let's see how good is the new Mixer, it looks very cool.
  • Andreicus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I never used any quixel software. Can mixer bake normal maps ? like painter ?
    At the moment no but they said that they have some plans for baking. From what i read they want to transform Mixer in a Painter like software.

And to use Megascans materials in Mixer to texture the assets i think that you must subscribe. Although Megascans is really meant for env texturing not really for single assets.
  • Andreicus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I just read the full article on the Quixel site and yes, Mixer 2020 will be basically Substance Painter with smart materials and everything.
  • defragger
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    defragger sublime tool
    Andreicus said:
    I just read the full article on the Quixel site and yes, Mixer 2020 will be basically Substance Painter with smart materials and everything.
    sounds very promising. After the Adobe issue it's great to have Quixel back in the mix ;)
  • Andreicus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    defragger said:
    Andreicus said:
    sounds very promising. After the Adobe issue it's great to have Quixel back in the mix ;)
    Definetely. The problem for me is that i have a huge library of materials ( 1k ) in Painter and transferring all of them into another software manually is a pain.
    Right now if i want to have the materials inside the new Mixer or Armor Paint i must use Substance Player---> load the sbsar--> export the textures---> load them inside the new software that will create the pbr material.
  • Andreicus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Synaesthesia I have a question for you: i downloaded Mixer and i got unlimited access to the Megascans library because i'm an UE4 user.
    If i texture an asset in Mixer using Megascans, then i export it to render in UE4 and publish it online in my portfolio, am i allowed to do this without having a paid subscription ?

Another question: Some time ago i asked a question related to selling asset packs with assets textured with Megascans. I read the new terms of use and it seems that they are the same for that part.
    Basically i can't include any Megascans texture in a pack right ? So even if i have a paid subscription and i use Mixer to texture some assets using Megascans and then sold the assets, i can't do that even if i modify the scans by mixing them together and changing parameters right ?
  • littleclaude
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    littleclaude quad damage
    Amazing news, every time I play with Quixel tools I am blown away. I can not wait to jump in and get started. 
  • Synaesthesia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Synaesthesia polycounter
    Andreicus said:
    Synaesthesia I have a question for you: i downloaded Mixer and i got unlimited access to the Megascans library because i'm an UE4 user.
    If i texture an asset in Mixer using Megascans, then i export it to render in UE4 and publish it online in my portfolio, am i allowed to do this without having a paid subscription ?

Another question: Some time ago i asked a question related to selling asset packs with asssets textured with Megascans. I read the new terms of use and it seems that they are the same for that part.
    Basically i can't include any Megascans texture in a pack right ? So even if i have a paid subscription and i use Mixer to texture some assets using Megascans and then sold the assets, i can't do that even if i modify the scans by mixing them together and changing paramters right ?
    Question 1: Absolutely! You're exporting to Unreal Engine and rendering images out of it. That's perfectly fine and within the Terms.

Question 2: Nothing has changed there. We still don't permit the sale or resale of our asset library.
  • Andreicus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreicus said:

Another question: Some time ago i asked a question related to selling asset packs with asssets textured with Megascans. I read the new terms of use and it seems that they are the same for that part.
    Basically i can't include any Megascans texture in a pack right ? So even if i have a paid subscription and i use Mixer to texture some assets using Megascans and then sold the assets, i can't do that even if i modify the scans by mixing them together and changing paramters right ?
    Question 1: Absolutely! You're exporting to Unreal Engine and rendering images out of it. That's perfectly fine and within the Terms.

Question 2: Nothing has changed there. We still don't permit the sale or resale of our asset library.
    Thanks, the fact that i can use Mixer to render inside UE4 it's a good thing, i'll definetely use it.
  • zachagreg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    zachagreg ngon master
    Andreicus said:

Would a hero prop or selection of hero props textured in Mixer count as resale? Assuming not using a masked workflow with tiling materials that is.
  • Mackin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mackin polycounter lvl 12
    I'm slightly concerned about the potential flood of environments that are soon going to be posted the Art communities all using the same Assets?
  • Synaesthesia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Synaesthesia polycounter
    @Mackin Absolutely not even in the slightest. Our philosophy has always been to democratize 3D art. If that means some artists make work that some people don't like, well, that's their business - nothing is perfect, but now everyone has the chance to really push themselves to the next level if they want to do so. Megascans isn't a magic button that does everything, but it is an essential step for a lot of artists who otherwise would have been locked out of the process by a paywall.

@Zachagreg We'll have news on this front hopefully soon - for now let's assume the answer is no until further developments are possibly made.
  • Blaizer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaizer interpolator
    Mackin said:
    Is no one else concerned about the inevitable flood of kit-bashed/photo collage environments that are soon going to be flooding the Art communities and next round of games made using unreal? 
    The same happened with Arch model collections such as Evermotion. Almost all people use the same assets.
    Here's an example:
    https://youtu.be/rLDwP5lWdxw

https://youtu.be/bsvbisleQ4E
  • Meloncov
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Meloncov greentooth
    So, @Synaesthesia, under the free Unreal license, would it be allowable to use Quixel textures inside of Substance Painter if the final product is going into Unreal? Or are you locked into the Mixer pipeline on the free license?
  • Justo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justo polycounter

Right. So I assume if the images are exported to other apps, like Marmoset/Blender/Unity, it would be against the Terms. Of course, if I'm wrong, do correct me. 

(Very exciting stuff nonetheless!)
  • Synaesthesia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Synaesthesia polycounter
    Meloncov said:
    So, @Synaesthesia, under the free Unreal license, would it be allowable to use Quixel textures inside of Substance Painter if the final product is going into Unreal? Or are you locked into the Mixer pipeline on the free license?
    Use the tools you're already comfortable with! Just make sure that you export everything into Unreal. This is a license you agree to with Epic stating as such, so ultimately it's us trusting that you'll do right by us as we're trying to do right by you. Without Epic's backing it would be utterly impossible for us to offer unlimited access to the Megascans library. I do anticipate that you'll want to use Mixer, even if you have a preferred texturing package already. It's hard to argue with free, and Mixer has so many great things coming for it that I truly feel is going to revolutionize the texturing aspect of our beloved industry.

@Justo This is correct. If you sign up for an Unlimited Megascans account via your Epic Games account, you've agreed to use Megascans from that account only within the Unreal Engine ecosystem - the assets must stay within it to be legally licensed under the Terms agreed to when opening the account. I do apologize if it seems a bit clunky at the moment, but I do foresee all aspects of this acquisition improving over time. It's our sincere hope that our initial actions of making the Megascans library open to everyone, along with dropping prices and offering refunds, is enough to help make our intentions clear for where we plan to take Epic Games and Quixel as the future unfolds. :)
  • Andreicus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Meloncov said:
    Use the tools you're already comfortable with! Just make sure that you export everything into Unreal. This is a license you agree to with Epic stating as such, so ultimately it's us trusting that you'll do right by us as we're trying to do right by you. Without Epic's backing it would be utterly impossible for us to offer unlimited access to the Megascans library. I do anticipate that you'll want to use Mixer, even if you have a preferred texturing package already. It's hard to argue with free, and Mixer has so many great things coming for it that I truly feel is going to revolutionize the texturing aspect of our beloved industry.

@Justo This is correct. If you sign up for an Unlimited Megascans account via your Epic Games account, you've agreed to use Megascans from that account only within the Unreal Engine ecosystem - the assets must stay within it to be legally licensed under the Terms agreed to when opening the account. I do apologize if it seems a bit clunky at the moment, but I do foresee all aspects of this acquisition improving over time. It's our sincere hope that our initial actions of making the Megascans library open to everyone, along with dropping prices and offering refunds, is enough to help make our intentions clear for where we plan to take Epic Games and Quixel as the future unfolds. :)
    If I make a smart material from scratch in Mixer can I sell it right? Because I'm not using megascans. 
  • Prime8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Prime8 interpolator
    For those who want to use Megascans etc. outside of UE, I assume Quixel will keep offering the previous subscription model.
  • zachagreg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    zachagreg ngon master
    Prime8 said:
    For those who want to use Megascans etc. outside of UE, I assume Quixel will keep offering the previous subscription model.
    Yes but now it will be cheaper from what I saw in the video.
  • Synaesthesia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Synaesthesia polycounter
    Andreicus said:
    If I make a smart material from scratch in Mixer can I sell it right? Because I'm not using megascans. 

Yep! Anything you've created 100% yourself in the tools is yours to do with as you wish.
  • defragger
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    defragger sublime tool
    zachagreg said:
    Yes but now it will be cheaper from what I saw in the video.
    actually it has changed quite drastically. We went over the updated EULA with our legal advisor today. Basically we would be required to use the indie plan at 199 $ / month which was 29 $ before. Even when we don't have millions of funding or revenue. So despite the fact that you get more points it has become much more expensive for every indie developer that doesn't use UE4.
    The whole idea is to push UE4 on indies over Unity or other options.

At the same time Megascans are a lot less exclusive since they can be used for free on UE4 projects. Which lowers the value for everyone else in my understanding.