Home Career & Education

Are there too many concept artist?

grand marshal polycounter
Offline / Send Message
Alex_J grand marshal polycounter
In this video, artist Trent Kaniuga makes a statement I think could be very motivating for struggling student. The TLDW is that yes, there is tons of.competition, but most competitors are misinformed and got the wrong skills/portfolio anyway, so the actual pool is much smaller.

This guy has lots of good advice and seems pretty real about what life is like for both studio and freelance artist. In video below the first comment has time stamp to jump to relevant part of discussion.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=iF78IAJGzoQ&t=832s

Replies

• tynew
    Offline / Send Message
    tynew polycounter lvl 9
    Great video thanks Alex. I'm trying to brush up my skills after taking a long break after releasing my game. It's mindblowing how many seemingly good artists there are out there. I look through Artstation and see 100 talented weapons artists immediately, which makes me think why would anyone else be needed for work when the pool is this large already?

At some point would there not be diminishing returns? More supply than demand? 10 Years ago there was not anywhere near the number of talented artists as there are now. I've always had on my bucket list to learn concept 2D work and 3d Paintovers, but there just seems to be more than enough people out there to deliver work. I'm trying to think of other relevant fields, but since the blow-up of the internet era, more people have accelerated their artistic skills than ever before. 

For example, there are more multiplayer games being released than enough people to play them. Only the highest retention games maintain their players, leaving a smaller distribution to the other multiplayer titles. I feel like this will end up happening to the game art industry. Now I know that the video goes over this with concept art, but the pool of talented artists IS growing. There has to eventually be more than enough talent than the number of games needing them in production, right? 
  • Alex_J
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah I think overpopulation is the single greatest issue for huamnity to solve. Kind of like the root of all evil.
    Nobody of any importance is talking about it though, so I say we are all doomed.

Anyway, yeah for myself the game plan is always to do what others are not willing to do. One thing you can count on is human laziness, selfishness, short sightedness, etc. So if I can overcome things like this then I have a competitive advantage. 

It's worked out for me so far, but most people wouldn't like to live as poor as I do. Everything is a balancing act.

My advice for the person looking at the feeding frenzy and asking "how can I get a bite?"  is don't even try. Get your food elsewhere.

That may work for another century. Or less. Eventually the problem of too many people will become big enough it can't be ignored. I hope I'm not still here then. I'm sorry most of all for the animals. They are innocent.

• tynew
    Offline / Send Message
    tynew polycounter lvl 9
    Overpopulation may be a bit on the extreme spectrum in terms of the topic being discussed :p 

Alex Javor said:
    So if I can overcome things like this then I have a competitive advantage. 
    Could you elaborate on this if it relates to art? I mean most people will try to find the most efficient method possible for things or shortcuts. 
  • Alex_J
    Offline / Send Message
    It's all related. I don't see how you can separate them. Most things eventually point back to their root.

Anyway, about separating yourself from pack by making determination to not be lazy: it's simple. Look how far other people are willing to go to win, and go further. 

That's just your start. From there the question then becomes, but how far can I go?

It's just mindset. Really simple idea you use to guide you and adjust habits.

Is not one size fits all solution. Like I said, there is times to look at others and say, "I ain't getting involved with that!"

Selfishness: im not superstitious, but my whole life I thinking about others more than myself. Putting their needs above mine. Maybe its not related, but I have strangely good luck. Whenever I need something important, it just comes to me. I never worry anymore. Not very scientific so it's not advice I can really justify, but for me at least it hurts inside if I do things the other way. 
    Related to art, if you working on team, just be cool, don't be an asshole, and if you feel like you must be an asshole to get ahead you on the wrong team, or it's time to step up and show people how to be.

Short sightedness- if you got longer attention span and further forethought, huge advantage. Every decision you make now changes the future. If you don't always have future in mind when you making decisions, you'll make poorer ones. 

I don't see reason to try and find specific applications. This is broad, general advice. Not art specific. It's the kind of thing everybody thinks they know, but few really do, or certainly they don't practice it. 

Most important thing, always remember your thoughts are not who you are. Always be ready to throw away what you think you know and make a big change. This is only path to security.