Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Please give me input. (Portfolio review) I want to (in a year or so) apply to AAA jobs.

polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
ScopeDragon polycounter lvl 4
So I see a few people that ask for portfolio reviews. Id like to ask for one too. Currently my portfolio doesn't have any of my new pieces in them yet for a few reasons. BUT with what I have so far, How is my Character Art portfolio looking if you were hiring for a game. Should I Scrap everything or add the newer more polished pieces before applying. { they aren't a huge jump but they do show more progress on understanding..I think } I am going for a realism AAA style. (Don't be afraid to dump on it,) I can take all the help i can get.

Portfolio: <a rel="nofollow" href="https://www.artstation.com/scoperaven">https://www.artstation.com/scoperaven</a>

Replies

• Eric Chadwick
    Best way to get responses is to embed your work here on Polycount. Don't make us click a link to see your stuff, that stops lots of people right away, it's a gate. We're on a site where art is embedded all the time. It's the expectation. We've clicked on your thread, expecting to see your artwork, but it's behind another link.

As Jon Jones says "Put the art in my face ... Imagine that your target visitor is a tired, indifferent hiring manager whose only desire is to find the shortest path possible to looking at your art."

I know it's a portfolio crit request, so going there makes sense. But sell it a bit by at least embedding a screenshot of your homepage here. It will act as a "call to action", pulling viewers in.

Good luck!
  • defragger
    Offline / Send Message
    defragger sublime tool
    you have a good eye for detail but I see two main issues with your folio. One is presentation and the other is showing actual production quality. It looks more like concept renderings even when its not.

Ideally this is what you want to aim for:
  • ScopeDragon
    Offline / Send Message
    @Eric Chadwick  sorry. Will remember that for future post. 

• ScopeDragon
    Offline / Send Message
    @defragger
    I see what you mean. Thanks for that. 
  • slosh
    Offline / Send Message
    slosh hero character
    You seem to have a solid foundation but most of your work feels unfinished.  When you apply to a job, don't show a bunch of WIP work.  All of your stuff is unfinished except for the girl character and she is not up to par in quality.  I think you should just nuke that piece.  The male character with the beanie? looks the most finished but even that needs polish.  Presentation is also a huge issue.  Render these in quality lighting.  I don't want to see maya grid lines or whatever behind a render...its ugly and lazy.  If you add new work, polish it up, put it in engine with quality lighting and render some nice screenshots with breakdowns, wireframes, etc.  Since you are still fairly jr, add texture sheets so employers can see your UVs, etc.  Again, even with texture sheets and breakdowns, use nice presentation.
  • ScopeDragon
    Offline / Send Message
    @slosh I am completely rubbish when it comes to lighting. Would you know of a good tutorial or tech technique that's best to study? 
  • slosh
    Offline / Send Message
    slosh hero character
    Look up 3 pt lighting.  This is the most basic setup and the one I use the most.  It works really well but is incredibly easy to set up.
  • carvuliero
    Offline / Send Message
    carvuliero hero character
    Unfortunately no amount of lights or rendering tricks can hide all incorrect or missing forms .I suggest you take the time to properly learn all of facial features preferably in planes [easy to remember] In your latest piece all of the facial features have problems .Do yourself a favor tomorrow morning while you brushing your teeth check your mouth corners and learn that area for good , all of your character have consistent problem there - mouth look flat like its pasted on the face-> which mean you dont have a proper understructure to support surface form + lips doesn't overlap , missing planes and so on .You are your best model so if you can understand certain area just study yourself getting one of this wont hurt either its only few bucks best investment you can make  [+ skull and a good book]

About portfolio question scrap everything use holidays around new year to study then make a new better art [even tho fixing your old stuff can be a good exercise ]
  • ScopeDragon
    Offline / Send Message
    @carvuliero I think one big problem is a shitty base mesh. I have to get a good base mesh down because I use the same one I did from years ago so Im going to create a brand new set of them, Your advice helped me realize that one. Im sure thats where a lot of my anatomy issues stem. Might be why I keep allowing my self make the same mistakes.

Thank you man. 
     You do mentorships still?
  • carvuliero
    Offline / Send Message
    carvuliero hero character
    Easy solution is not to use base mesh , its fast and easy to start all of your bust from scratch. its especially beneficial while you learning
    The more you practice the batter [especially fundamentals ] by using crutches[like base mesh] you cheat yourself
    "You mentorship still?"
    :: Yes I do