Home Adobe Substance

Substance Painter - Normal Maps problem on seams

arkaneXXI
polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
arkaneXXI polycounter lvl 8
Hi people.

Long time ago I had problems baking normals maps in Substance Painter causing cuts in the 90º angles. The solution was to use different smoothing groups in the polygons adjacent to that border and separate them in different isles/clusters in the UV, adding a seam in that border.

Now I'm having this problem again and the previous solution doesn't work.

It seems the normal map is just being applied to one side of the 90º angle.

However, the result looks fine with the standard material (there is a little cut but not so visible):

This is the full model:

This issue is just visible from close, so it shouldn't be a problem in the game where I'll use the model (especially because that part isn't very visible). But I would like to know how to solve this to don't repeat the problem in the future.

I attach the next models if somebody wants to check:
1. High Poly model (this model has the turbo smooth applied)
2. High Poly model - Raw (it doesn't has the turbo smooth applied)
4. Low Poly for baking - Quads
3. Low Poly for baking - Tris (all the polygons were converted to tris)

Thanks in advance.

Replies

• poopipe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe grand marshal polycounter
    The geometry in the low doesn't line up properly with the geometry in the high. 

Probably due to there not being enough geometry in the low. 
  • arkaneXXI
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe said:

Probably due to there not being enough geometry in the low. 
    I'll check if adding more geometry will solve the problem,  but I think  is a waste of tris to add more  than 8 sides in a cilinder that isn't very visible (because it will be covered most time and far from the cam).

But I'll try to use a cylinders with 16 sides for baking and, after bake the textures, apply them in an optimized model. However, I think the textures will look bad in the optimized model. I will try anyway.
  • Obscura
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Obscura grand marshal polycounter
    +16 tris takes literally no performance. Or if you really think its a waste, why don't you just ignore the error if it will be actually mostly covered up by other parts.
  • rollin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter
    poopipe said:

I guess this
  • arkaneXXI
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I have added more sides (32 sides) but it didn't help much. Reducing the cilinder in the high poly model (to adjust it more to the low poly) helped a little too. Touching the normal baking parameters didn't change anything.

Maybe I should just ignore it as you say.
  • arkaneXXI
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Obscura said:
    +16 tris takes literally no performance. Or if you really think its a waste, why don't you just ignore the error if it will be actually mostly covered up by other parts.

I guess you are right, maybe I'm trying to be too perfectionist with little details. I feel frustrated when I see something that doesn't look like it shouldn't, even if that thing won't be very visible.

Thanks for the tips, anyway.