Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Apocalypse Metro (Feedback)

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
Bassline polycounter lvl 6
Hey guys, I thought it would be fun to share my little vacation project and get some feedback from you. I always love to read about other peoples progress, hope you like it.

It has been a while since I even touched a 3D program. I did some small tests here and there but this is a big project for me. I had to relearn most of the things I used to do years ago. And it is also a fun opportunity to play around with the new node-based material editor in Cinema 4D.  
Fun note: 6 years ago when I was 16 years old I made an underground train station for a school project (it was the first thing I made in 3D, you can watch it
here. It is horrible :p ) And that is what I decided to remake. I kept the same perspective as my old project but made it more realistic. 

Planning to make some seating on the middle platform and lots of smaller details, like trash and graffiti on the train. The subway car is based on the New York R160 trains. 

I made the white tile material so that it randomly breaks tiles based on height. (Still could use some tweaking on the height and amount of broken tiles.)

Cinema 4D's standard and physical renderers are not great. I think I will try some other renderers for Cinema 4D (or maybe try blender) for my next project.
Also made a little gif of all the previews renders  :p

Please leave some feedback, I would love to hear what you guys think!

Replies

• Bassline
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I was working on the seating but the proportions feel off... I did make everything to real live dimensions but it looks too small

Maybe a different kind of bench would look better
  • Bassline
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok it has been a while since i worked on this. But i didnt like where this was going so i started over with the composition and made something completely different. And this time i want to finish it  :p

Apocalyse Metro | Rendered in Cinema4D using Physical renderer

I used the same textures and models as i had before. The character was downloaded from sketchfab https://skfb.ly/6IxYF
    Maybe i will try to make a character in the future.

Lets me know what you guys think!
  • buce1
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    buce1 polycounter lvl 5
    Wow you really brought it all together in that last render, nice job. Something I would say is that the texture on the train looks a little bit off. If you look at real New York R160 trains you'll notice that the metal is a bit more of a matte texture if that makes any sense.

Image result for New York R160

I think if you just went over the train model and made some small changes to the proportions and textures, it would bring the scene together alot better. Overall though, great render.
  • Bassline
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    buce1 said:
    Something I would say is that the texture on the train looks a little bit off. If you look at real New York R160 trains you'll notice that the metal is a bit more of a matte texture if that makes any sense.
    Thanks for your feedback, glad you liked it. You're right on the color of the train it should be lighter and more matte. There are more things I would do differently if I were to redo the train but still, I wasn't going for a perfect model. I think the proportions are mostly due to de long lens I used on the camera. To create a lot of depth in the shot I used an 80mm focal length.

• oraeles77
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oraeles77 polycounter lvl 4