Home General Discussion

Any other plant growers here?

Anura_Interceptor
polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
Anura_Interceptor polycounter lvl 5
I grow carnivorous plants, been doing it since I was 8 or 9 and had a pretty big collection but had to downsize about 5 years ago because I was a broke teenager and couldn't afford the upkeep of new bulbs and bigger enclosures as the plants got bigger. Had these two guys for close to a year now.
This one is Nepenthes x Suki
This is Nepenthes x Ventrata

Here's their size just five months ago, the plant not shown above is Nepenthes Ventricosa, it's not in very impressive condition right now because of pests. 

Replies

• Alex_J
    Offline / Send Message
    Alex_J grand marshal polycounter
    Ya I love my plants. All my carnivores died though. Think they got too cold. They are finicky. 

Looking forward to some citrus trees once we get our own place in VA.

Very impressive pitchers. I had been killing flies and.pitting them in mine but she wouldn't digest them.
  • Anura_Interceptor
    Offline / Send Message
    Ya I love my plants. All my carnivores died though. Think they got too cold. They are finicky. 

Looking forward to some citrus trees once we get our own place in VA.
    You could probably grow Venus Flytraps outdoors year round, their native habitat is not far south in North Carolina and they can handle the northern states in cultivation. Sarracenia can be highly cold tolerant too, Sarracenia Purpurea grows as far north as upper Sasketchewan and Alberta. Were you following the usual advice of distilled water, low nutrient spaghnum peat-based soil, and bright sunlight?
  • DavidCruz
    Offline / Send Message
    DavidCruz interpolator
    I once planted mary jane in Brooklyn, it worked and grew in early winter i was surprised until my moms asked me wtf it was. :( i think it was male anyway no buds, boy oh boy i was a wild teen thinking back i am glad i was so lively and interesting.

I was shocked it actually grew i was feeding it chocolate milk cause i wanted that chocolate tasting weed that was circulating at the time.  i am so silly, but it grew so lol

Dont smoke anymore and i hear it promotes estrogen properties so, that is a negative, maybe when i am 60+.
  • Synaesthesia
    Offline / Send Message
    Synaesthesia polycounter
    I'm a pepper guy. I grow jalapenos, habaneros, ghost peppers, etc. Basically anything that grows in my backyard.
  • RN
    Offline / Send Message
    RN sublime tool
    There's a type of wild grass my dogs like to eat, so I grow that in a long container. I have to constantly care for it though, because maggots love those long sharp leaves.
    They to bite the leaf and then fold it into a coccoon, never seen that before

• Alex_J
    Offline / Send Message
    Alex_J grand marshal polycounter
    @Anura_Interceptor I didn't know about all that. I only followed brief instructions on the attached info card. Guess I got to get educated before next time

• oraeles77
    Offline / Send Message
    oraeles77 polycounter lvl 4
    i was just playing about with some photos of my plants yesterday...

I got a few  Sarracenia and a few nephantes and a load of seed grown dionaea  and some of those sticky ones I cant remember the name of.

• Anura_Interceptor
    Offline / Send Message
    oraeles77 said:
    and some of those sticky ones I cant remember the name of.

Drosera/sundews, I noticed you've got a cape sundew sitting right under the nepenthes in the middle. What's your setup there? Hard to tell if it's indoors, outdoors, grow light or sunlight.
  • sacboi
    Offline / Send Message
    sacboi high dynamic range
    @Anura_Interceptor I'm not green fingered, couldn't grow a common weed if my life depended on it O_o

However your plants look preety cool so I'm just curious about their feeding habits?
  • Anura_Interceptor
    Offline / Send Message
    sacboi said:
    @Anura_Interceptor I'm not green fingered, couldn't grow a common weed if my life depended on it O_o

However your plants look preety cool so I'm just curious about their feeding habits?
    I have a bag with 5 pounds of mealworms in it, I grind it up in small batches and pour small amounts of the powder into their pitchers once a week. Overfeeding them can cause mold to grow and kill the pitcher, it's not that big a problem for the plant since they constantly grow new pitchers to replace old ones but they don't look as nice without lots of pitchers. I also spray their leaves with heavily diluted maxsea fertilizer once a week.
  • sacboi
    Offline / Send Message
    sacboi high dynamic range

whoa!...5 pounds of mealyworms, they're hungry little suckers aren't they :)

Cheers.

• Eric Chadwick
    Disappointed. Thought you were pricking your fingers and dripping blood in there. 
  • Anura_Interceptor
    Offline / Send Message
    Disappointed. Thought you were pricking your fingers and dripping blood in there. 
    I got my plants from a nursery, you only need to do that if you got your plants from a solar eclipse.