Home Technical Talk

Blender Mega Thread

Replies

• Blaizer
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaizer interpolator
    Dataday said:
    As for sculpt mode and edit mode, they are two different modes. I often flip between them by using the 1-3 key and the 5 key depending on component or sculpt. You can also toggle proportional editing to move components around without the sculpt tool. However yes, the two modes are completely separated, where as in Modo everything is technically consolidated.
    That's my issue. Sculpt mode and Edit mode are totally different, like separated tools, and i can't use the sculpt tools with edit tools or viceversa. I can't do a simple bevel or extrude while sculpting (inflating polygons, pinching, etc.). In modo, i can do such simple things since luxology added sculpting features (back in 2006). I don't need to flip between modes in Modo, i have all things in a single viewport in full-screen mode. I don't like to go back to year 2005, with a maya or max mouse only workflow (edit mode).

If you watch closely the video i posted, i'm sure you'll understand me better. I just use the sculpt brush for all, and a few keymappings. I had to record that video to explain the polysculpting modelling workflow.

• pior
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Well, that's precisely why I believe it is pointless (and dare I say counter-productive) to look at it that way. If the tools, workflows and default hotkeys were exactly the same as Modo ... it would be called Modo.

Instead if you are curious about the app just dive in casually without expectations and explore/understand the systems fully for about 2 weeks to a month. A practical example : you seem to be getting stuck with the assumption that since Blender has two distinct modes for editing and sculpting, then that means that you cannot replicate your hybrid modeling/sculpting workflow (which imho is nothing unique really, and I don't mean it in a snarky way : I personally cannot understand how anyone could work on organic models any other way as this is objectively the best and most efficient approach).

At the surface level this is of course true : Edit mode and Sculpt mode are separate. But in practice switching modes is probably just as fast as selecting the sculpt brush in Modo ; and switching mode + selecting the grab brush can be done in one sweep with a macro anyways.

Of course it won't be behaving exactly like what you are used to, and even performance might differ - but that's an obvious as these are two different pieces of software.

So yeah I honestly think you are looking at it from the wrong end, especially since you can very well use both apps in tandem for their respective strengths. If anything, you might not find exactly the workflow you want ... but you might be able to precisely document the things that you feel are missing, and these missing things could end up being implemented eventually based on your very own feedback. Think of it as an investment in the future evolution of the software.

As for things like working in full screen mode with a stylus : as said, this is 100% possible since everything can be mapped to anything you want. The buttons/hotkeys might not be there by default but it is perfectly possible to assign hotkeys to anything you want using the keymap editor, or diving further by creating menus and macros for anything you want using PME (Pie Menu Editor, which is not just for Pie Menus but also for custom hotkeys/macros).
  • pior
    Offline / Send Message
    On a different topic : does anyone know of any addon allowing to replicate the basic BoxCutter workflow (cutting in boolean shapes using rectangles/circles/polylines in screen space) but without all of the overhead of the recent versions BoxCutter ?

The 2.8+ iterations of BC are as powerful as ever but the addon is becoming seriously bloated compared to what the tool once was (it has a UI button to "activate it" but no button to switch it off ; and it now has dozens of options and modes). It is reaching a point where I have to constantly disable/enable the add-on for it not to get in the way and that defeats the whole purpose. I've tried a few other ones but I would welcome any suggestion. Thanks !
  • xrg
    Offline / Send Message
    xrg polycounter lvl 10
    In the default keymap the W key can "drop tool." I don't know how easy/difficult it would be to switch it to spacebar, since I rarely edit keybindings. I also don't know if the Industry Compatible keymap has anything similar.
  • LuisCherubini
    Offline / Send Message
    LuisCherubini interpolator
    pior said:
    The 2.8+ iterations of BC are as powerful as ever but the addon is becoming seriously bloated compared to what the tool once was (it has a UI button to "activate it" but no button to switch it off ; and it now has dozens of options and modes). It is reaching a point where I have to constantly disable/enable the add-on for it not to get in the way and that defeats the whole purpose. I've tried a few other ones but I would welcome any suggestion.

I feel you on that. I find surface snapping behavior enabled by default to be less consistent than simple screen-space orientation for cutting... 
  • Blaizer
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaizer interpolator
    pior said:
    Well, that's precisely why I believe it is pointless (and dare I say counter-productive) to look at it that way. If the tools, workflows and default hotkeys were exactly the same as Modo ... it would be called Modo.
    Pior, Pixologic added to Zbrush the Zmodeler "brush", "subdivision surface modelling in Zbrush", and Zbrush it's not called "Modo" precisely. They saved us a lot of time adding features we already have in Modo or Max.

Once you are customed to work with a tablet pencil, using a mouse is like something really primitive, not evolved and not efficient for me (for god's sake, we are in the end of 2019!). I tried "Alt" key combinations for viewport navigation because: 1 - it's like the standard (Maya) and 2 - it's a good choice using a tablet or Cintiq. Not because we use the "alt" key in Modo. 

Believe me, when i discovered the possibilities of polysculpting modelling, i said to myself: i won't go back. Going back to the old and prehistoric modelling methods would be really counter-productive in my opinion.

And you may believe it's pointless, it's just your opinion. But for me, is totally the contrary as you can see clearly in the video i posted (working in expert mode).

In any case, being able to use Blender sculpt tools in edit mode would be a better functionality, and nothing counter-productive. Not all people use the sculpt tools for modelling in modo, and less, the procedural tools or the hundreds of feautures packed within the app. But they are there.

Switching modes is not an option for me. Like i said, if i can't do a simple extrude or bevel while sculpting, the tool mode is useless for me. I was hoping to see a workaround, but it's impossible right now in version 2.8. 

I gave blender a few weeks and a whole month, and i already know its flaws very well. It can't be used for serious subdivision modelling like Modo, Max or Maya. I don't understand why the perfomance is so horrible compared to ver. 2.79 (and it was terrible aswell, very slow). I only hope they solve at least the horrible viewport perfomance in version 2.82.

Anyways, like i said, Eevee is the deal for me. I only take that from blender. 
  • pior
    Offline / Send Message
    Hehe by "counter-productive" I wasn't referring to the details of the workflow you describe - as said, combining modeling and sculpting is indeed the most productive way to work on organic hero assets and it boggles my mind that some artists might not be doing that.

What I was referring to is the expectation of finding exact equivalents tools/UX/workflow from one app to the next - that's just not the way these things work. Of course some evangelist fanboys will tell you that "you can do everything you need in this or that program" but you know very well that's never the case, so imho it is indeed pointless to go in hoping to exactly replicate a workflow from a different app. What you'll find will be sometimes worse, sometimes better - basically different.

And again the remarks on mouse vs stylus input are a irrelevant since this is just a matter of mapping what you want to what you want.

Lastly on performance : indeed it is far from great in some circumstances. Some aspects are getting way better (the custom 2.8 sculpt branch is mindblowing for raw sculpting), and some are still behind the times (editing geo of dense subdiv models not relying on marked bevels can be less than smooth). That's precisely where people like you can make the software better, by precisely documenting the issues and reporting them. Otherwise what's the point ?
  • Justo
    Offline / Send Message
    Justo polycounter
    Hey fellas, here's an idea / request for boolean visibility. 

I use a simple toggle wires script to toggle the wireframe of the objects in my viewport on/off. However, I'd like to take this a step further: to any cutters visible in the scene (regular geo with its display type set to WIRE), make them vanish on/off too. 

I believe the quickest way would be to toggle the Show in Viewport property of cutter objects (bpy.context.object.hide_viewport = NOT bpy.context.object.hide_viewport), and the way to identify which objects would be by searching the ones with its Display type set to WIRE. Is this a smart and fast way to achieve this? Does anyone know how to smartly & efficiently do this without making the script take a heavy performance toll?

This is the simple script I use:

def wire_toggle(self, context):
            if context.space_data.overlay.show_wireframes:
                context.space_data.overlay.show_wireframes = False
            else:
                context.space_data.overlay.show_wireframes = True

def execute(self, context):
            self.wire_toggle(context)
            return{'FINISHED'}
  • LuisCherubini
    Offline / Send Message
    LuisCherubini interpolator
    I want to see better examples of this, particularly with non-square extrusions and rounded geometry, it does seem promising!

• ant1fact
    Offline / Send Message
    ant1fact polycounter lvl 9
    pior said:
    On a different topic : does anyone know of any addon allowing to replicate the basic BoxCutter workflow (cutting in boolean shapes using rectangles/circles/polylines in screen space) but without all of the overhead of the recent versions BoxCutter ?

The 2.8+ iterations of BC are as powerful as ever but the addon is becoming seriously bloated compared to what the tool once was (it has a UI button to "activate it" but no button to switch it off ; and it now has dozens of options and modes). It is reaching a point where I have to constantly disable/enable the add-on for it not to get in the way and that defeats the whole purpose. I've tried a few other ones but I would welcome any suggestion. Thanks !
    There is the built-in Carver addon, you need to enable it first
  • musashidan
    Offline / Send Message
    musashidan high dynamic range
    Blaizer said:

Believe me, when i discovered the possibilities of polysculpting modelling, i said to myself: i won't go back. Going back to the old and prehistoric modelling methods would be really counter-productive in my opinion.

Well, what you're calling Polysculpting is just regular sub-d modeling with the addition of some sculpting brushes. I've been doing this for years in Max, but didn't feel the need to name it as it is nothing special. I'm not knocking your workflow, it's great that it's working so well for you, but you're completely dismissing it in Blender because you have to press a hotkey to jump between sculpt/edit. I agree, it's disappointing that the basic sculpt tools(especially grab/smooth) are not available in Edit Mode, but that's how it works so I don't mind pressing a hotkey(something I do 100s of times every day non-stop while working) to avail of those extra tools and that workflow.

As for your issues with your Wacom, I really don't understand this at all. From day one in Blender I've been using a Maya nav setup, and just last week I set my nav to Zbrush Right-Click nav as I started experimenting with Blender's sculpting tools. Just remap your Wacom properties per-app. Simple.
  • musashidan
    Offline / Send Message
    @Pior Have you tried Fluent? Dev recently added some nice features, but that may be part of your problem. :)

Hopefully Pablo adds the Blueprint tool he was working on a while back.

• Justo
    Offline / Send Message
    Justo polycounter
    @musashidan That looks very much like BoxCutter, no?
  • pior
    Offline / Send Message
    @ant1fact, @musashidan - Oh, thanks ! Fluent is way too much of a specialized tool for what I need, but Carver is *exactly* what I was looking for. Interesting to see that other users felt a similar need for a return to barebones Boxcutter, to a point of getting it to be part of the official release.

Time for some random bevelled geometry cuts !

:)

• musashidan
    Offline / Send Message
    Justo said:
    @musashidan That looks very much like BoxCutter, no?
    It's the Blueprint tool that Pablo Dobarro was working on as part of his sculpting development. It should be committed at some stage.
  • Blaizer
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaizer interpolator
    Well, what you're calling Polysculpting is just regular sub-d modeling with the addition of some sculpting brushes. I've been doing this for years in Max, but didn't feel the need to name it as it is nothing special. I'm not knocking your workflow, it's great that it's working so well for you, but you're completely dismissing it in Blender because you have to press a hotkey to jump between sculpt/edit. I agree, it's disappointing that the basic sculpt tools(especially grab/smooth) are not available in Edit Mode, but that's how it works so I don't mind pressing a hotkey(something I do 100s of times every day non-stop while working) to avail of those extra tools and that workflow.
    "just regular sub-d modeling with some sculpting brushes"? seriously o.0? did you think well what you said? what a way to belittle! envy maybe?

If you really were doing things like that in Max, you would not be saying such things. Lies, that's all. 

It seems you don't use/know modo, that's sure at 10000%. Heh, "regular sub-d modeling and some sculpting brushes". You make me smile.

About the edit mode you say me: "but that's how it works". Sorry, but is not valid for me because i'm not a conformist. If i can't adapt the software to me, i say: "bye bye, there are 100 times better options". Blender may be free, but it doen't reach the level of productivity and efficiency i'm customed with.

And I'm not dismissing anything. If i can't do a fucking bevel while pinching, inflating, carving, etc. then, Blender doesn't serve me for modelling, hard surfaces or organic, whatever. It's as simple as that. You don't need to complicate things unnecessarily.

I remapped the keys to a Maya style, i modified the modelling tools with a bunch of add-ons and keymaps, and i tried several combinations more, in order to have a better workflow. But i didn't end with something comfortable, without broking other aspects of the program i really liked. I invested too much time for nothing.

Furthermore, for my wacom digital pen i use a keymap i won't change for Blender, not for anything. I did hundreds of changes in modo, and i didn't need to touch my wacom properties/key maps.
  • Jakro
    Offline / Send Message
    Jakro greentooth
    Setting up UVing macros  for quicker working. Hitting x on a face straightens the island and pins verts. 

• musashidan
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaizer said:

"just regular sub-d modeling with some sculpting brushes"? seriously o.0? did you think well what you said? what a way to belittle! envy maybe?

If you really were doing things like that in Max, you would not be saying such things. Lies, that's all. 

It seems you don't use/know modo, that's sure at 10000%. Heh, "regular sub-d modeling and some sculpting brushes". You make me smile.

Furthermore, for my wacom digital pen i use a keymap i won't change for Blender, not for anything. I did hundreds of changes in modo, and i didn't need to touch my wacom properties/key maps.
    Yeah, mate, that's it, I'm envious..... grow up for fuck sake. I watched your video and what I see is sub-d modeling with the use of sculpting brushes to add a freeform element. If there's more to it then I'd love to hear about it. I love seeing new workflows. I'll put your rudeness and arrogance down to a language barrier thing. ¿Vale?

Yes, we all love our custom set ups and workflows that we're used to. It can be hard to leave that behind and start again. We all get that. We all sympathise. No need to get your knickers in twist. I've been using Max for 15 years, customised to the limits. I tried Blender 2.80. I fell in love. I decided that even though it was going to be hard at first to adopt a new workflow, I thought it was worth it. The workflow still isn't there yet. It's a work in progress, but that's to be expected - going from a program you know inside out and with your eyes closed to a program that you know nothing about. I didn't expect it to be an effortless transition, but I persevered. Welcome to the wonderful world of 3D.

You don't want to change your Wacom? That's your decision. Nobody is insisting. Maybe learning Blender isn't for you. Stay in Modo if the thoughts of Blender are leading to aggressive behaviour. It's probably best for your health. It's not worth bursting a blood vessel over. Tranquilo, mi amigo.

• tynew
    Offline / Send Message
    tynew polycounter lvl 9
    @musashidan
    You were quite a max evangelist for some time, so I'm wondering from your perspective what made you decide to make the switch/learn to Blender?
  • musashidan
    Offline / Send Message
    tynew said:
    @musashidan
    You were quite a max evangelist for some time, so I'm wondering from your perspective what made you decide to make the switch/learn to Blender?
    I haven't made the switch. I'm still on Max day to day for work. Still on the Max beta. Initially, I decided to learn Blender for 2 reasons: baking the bevel shader to normal maps, and look dev of MikkT baked assets.

However, I soon became addicted and have been exploring it more and more. Also, being on the Max beta for the last few years has been disappointing in some ways and 2.80 just felt like a very exciting prospect for the future of where things might go in the next few years. Then we saw the Epic news, the Embark Studios story, and just recently, we heard that Ubisoft AAA - one of the most hardcore Max studios and standard bearers since their founding in the 1990s - are migrating their pipeline to a Blender/Houdini workflow. This was huge for me and was pretty much a deciding factor(on top of Epic/Embark/Nvidia/etc) in why I see Blender playing a significant role in the games industry in the coming years. FOMO is real!! :D
  • RN
    Offline / Send Message
    RN sublime tool
    Justo said:
    I believe the quickest way would be to toggle the Show in Viewport property of cutter objects (bpy.context.object.hide_viewport = NOT bpy.context.object.hide_viewport), and the way to identify which objects would be by searching the ones with its Display type set to WIRE. Is this a smart and fast way to achieve this? Does anyone know how to smartly & efficiently do this without making the script take a heavy performance toll?
    @Justo Looping through all objects in the scene should be extremely fast, you can do it with hundreds and not notice a pause.
    I'd need to confirm this again, but I think an alternative way to hide objects would be to make a collection, disable its visibility, then add objects to it by script. You can then toggle the collection visibility as needed (provided one or more objects aren't hidden on other collections, since that hidden state should take priority).

<code>bpy.data.collections['AllCutters']<br>...
    cutterCollection.objects.link(bpy.context.active_object) # Add object to the cutter collection.
    cutterCollection.hide_viewport = not cutterCollection.hide_viewport
    cutterCollection =

• RN
    Offline / Send Message
    RN sublime tool
    @Blaizer maybe I missed something, but if you're in Edit mode and then switch to Sculpt mode, the Tab key becomes a toggle between these two modes. You can easily swap between poly-editing in Edit mode and then Tab > start brushing the form.
    You use this a lot when making a character.

The cost of switching in and out of Sculpt mode in this case becomes a single press of Tab, just as if it were another tool in Edit mode (it's not, but if feels like it).
  • Blaizer
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaizer interpolator
    Yeah, mate, that's it, I'm envious..... grow up for fuck sake. I watched your video and what I see is sub-d modeling with the use of sculpting brushes to add a freeform element. If there's more to it then I'd love to hear about it. I love seeing new workflows. I'll put your rudeness and arrogance down to a language barrier thing. ¿Vale?

Yes, we all love our custom set ups and workflows that we're used to. It can be hard to leave that behind and start again. We all get that. We all sympathise. No need to get your knickers in twist. I've been using Max for 15 years, customised to the limits. I tried Blender 2.80. I fell in love. I decided that even though it was going to be hard at first to adopt a new workflow, I thought it was worth it. The workflow still isn't there yet. It's a work in progress, but that's to be expected - going from a program you know inside out and with your eyes closed to a program that you know nothing about. I didn't expect it to be an effortless transition, but I persevered. Welcome to the wonderful world of 3D.
    Nice ad hominem man, and you dare to call me "arrogant" when i was being objetive, showing a video with a different workflow i was trying to adapt in some way into blender. Relax.

You only see trees in the forest my friend. This love of yours with Blender have you really blind. That's the bad thing of forums, some people like you take all said words with ill will, animosity, and later.. they reply in a toxic and offensive way. You shouldn't be bothered if i say that i model in a easiest and fastest way in modo, you shouldn't debate/discuss me anything personal. First of all, for respect, something you lack heavily. So, passing on.

RN said:
    @Blaizer maybe I missed something, but if you're in Edit mode and then switch to Sculpt mode, the Tab key becomes a toggle between these two modes. You can easily swap between poly-editing in Edit mode and then Tab > start brushing the form.
    You use this a lot when making a character.

The cost of switching in and out of Sculpt mode in this case becomes a single press of Tab, just as if it were another tool in Edit mode (it's not, but if feels like it).

Thanks for the concern @RN, but switching modes didn't help me at all using my Cintiq. And that's the main problem, Blender 2.8 is designed to be used with a mouse and its middle button/wheel. Any important change in the keymap will mess the other keymaps like a nuclear bomb.

I just want to use the pencil brushes to move, and edit like inflating or pinching, not the gizmos. I also wanted to be able to press a keymap/shortcut and do a simple bevel in sculptmode, like i do in Modo, but it's impossible, because we can't select the different elements such as polygons or edges.

pior said:
     TLDR : I can confirm that the fluid workflow you describe is 100% possible :)
    But Pior said that, and later, other users said the contrary.

It should not be a problem, because the workflow is very very simple, and Blender has all the tools there. But it seems like Blender 2.8 can't do what i'm doing since year 2006. The actual Blender is for me like "to paint an illustration without tablet, just a mouse", it's like going back to year 2000. I tried it hard with Blender, very hard, but i'm doing things in a much better way, much faster and with 1000% more perfomance in Modo (and Modo is not precisely the best user friendly app in the world).

• rollin
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter
    @Blazier @musashidan you might want to move this into pm? This starts to 'drift' if you know what I mean...
    @RN haven't had time to test you advice yet but sounds nice and I'll come back to it. thx!
  • Justo
    Offline / Send Message
    Justo polycounter
    @Blaizer chill dude, it was you who started belittling musashidan and using a condescending attitude. When you accuse others of being envious, saying it's lies all lies and using f-bombs, people are going to start ignoring you and think less of you. La manera en la que nos comunicamos puede afectar mucho a otras personas Alberto.

@RN That's it! I use HOps so all cutters are actually automatically sent already to a collection, so I should be able to only hide that. Thanks for the idea. Curiously enough, I notice that Blender allows the same object to be present multiple times inside the Outliner - inside a collection for example, and outside too. This causes problems with hiding objects, because if they are also present outside the collection, they will not be turned invisible. I know 2.81 did some changes to how Collections and Outliner works - was this addressed, or can objects still be present multiple times in Blender's newest version?
  • f1r3w4rr10r
    Offline / Send Message
    f1r3w4rr10r polycounter lvl 9
    @Justo I think that is done deliberately. I remember reading something that you can link objects to collections, to have them exist in multiple.
  • Blaizer
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaizer interpolator
    @Justo I didn't start anything. It was him who started belittling a modelling workflow he doesn't know of, adding adjetives such as "regular" to belittle all, and being really arrogant with this phrase: "I've been doing this for years in Max" when we all know is FALSE.

I had to say much more about the workflow i use, "polysculpting modelling" (he was upset with the name aswell), but with things like this.. he can go and figure it by himself.

Pues sí, a mi me afectó la manara en la que me respondió. A eso se le llama pura soberbia.

@rollin Sorry man. I don't pretend to derail the thread. But i can't stand when someone starts doing nonsense personal attacks, and moreover, when others opinions are not of their liking. That's fanatism. Anyways, i won't reply anymore about the workflow Blender is unable to use.

• Justo
    Offline / Send Message
    Justo polycounter
    @f1r3w4rr10r Ahh I see.

Okay then, the script is working now, iterating through all objects in a scene. 

for obj in bpy.context.scene.objects: 
        if obj.type == 'MESH' and obj.display_type == 'WIRE': 
            obj.hide_viewport = True

If anyone knows how to iterate through objects inside a collection though, I'd super appreciate it if they could drop the knowledge.
  • musashidan
    Offline / Send Message
    @Blaizer Mate, I don't know what your problem is, but you should reread the posts. Your attitude is a disgrace. I don't have much time to come on here these days and I'm not going to waste any more of it on the likes of you. I've made close to 4000 replies on here, always to help people when I can, and funnily enough, I actually commended your use of workflow and asked for further explanation that I might be missing, agreed with you on the edit mode switching, and advised that remapping the Wacom has worked for me. I didn't 'belittle' anything. I merely stated - having actually taken time to watch the video you posted - that I didn't see anything special in your workflow that I haven't seen or done before. That's it. Your response was(and still is) to hurl abuse, insults, and accuse me of nonsense in the most childish of ways. I reiterate: grow up, mate. This forum is supposed to be a place of respect and respite from all the usual arsehole behaviour that we already have plenty of on other social media outlets.

@RN sorry mate, that's it. I'm finished.
  • Justo
    Offline / Send Message
    Justo polycounter
    I got it!

for obj in bpy.data.collections["Cutters"].all_objects:
        if obj.type == 'MESH' and obj.display_type == 'WIRE': 
            obj.hide_viewport = False
    Problem solved <3
  • Blaizer
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaizer interpolator
    @musashidan i could say the same as you, and much more things, but i pass. Right now, you are playing the role of the "victim" because you didn't measure your words. I'm customed to read toxic replies like yours, and i won't fall for provocations, so i won't waste more time in something i think is ended. Just keep using what you think is the best for you, and that's all. Blender is not good for me. End of discussion.

Have a nice day.
  • Zablorg
    Offline / Send Message
    Zablorg polycounter lvl 6
    How do different objects with the Eevee node 'RGB from Shader' interact with other in a scene?

It would seem that to derive the color, Eevee has to get the results of a preceding shader- but the result of that preceding shader requires the light reflected from other objects to be assessed, and if those objects have the same material applied, the light they are reflecting is the output of another 'RGB from Shader', which depends on the reflected light from the first object. Seems infinitely recursive.
  • wirrexx
    Offline / Send Message
    wirrexx ngon master
    Guys, i am quite new to blender 2.8, coming from max, is there a way to match my camera to a reference?
  • Justo
    Offline / Send Message
    Justo polycounter
    wirrexx said:
    Guys, i am quite new to blender 2.8, coming from max, is there a way to match my camera to a reference?
    Just get into fSpy. :) It's free, and it's way better than the tools I used in Max!

---

Hey uhh, so about the script I was using to hide booleans...If I iterate through the collection with:

for obj in bpy.data.collections["Cutters"].all_objects:

It crashes often. Specially if I execute the script in quick succession. However if I iterate through all the objects in the scene, like with:

for obj in bpy.context.scene.objects:

This problem doesnt occur. Does anyone know why this may be happening?
  • rollin
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter
    +1 for @Justo just ignoring the above and keeping posting helpful stuff ^^

Edit: "crash" means bug.. That means it's not the fault of your script. I loop objects in collections the same way but not in fast succession and it didn't crashed once (2.80)
  • f1r3w4rr10r
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah +1 to @Justo.

Also you might want to run Blender from the command prompt. That way you can still see any messages and then try to reproduce the crash.
  • ant1fact
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah +1 to @Justo.

Also you might want to run Blender from the command prompt. That way you can still see any messages and then try to reproduce the crash.
    Quick note on this: running from command line is only needed under Linux. In Windows you can just toggle the system console from Blender itself
  • Justo
    Offline / Send Message
    Justo polycounter
    So...two features of Blender I feel should be added as soon as possible to make Blender a more industry-friendly app:

Decouple XRay from Limit Selection to Visible (there is also an extensive feedback thread with reports from users who've worked with Blender for a lot longer than I):
    https://blender.community/c/rightclickselect/G6bbbc/

Grow/Shrink along Loop & Ring:
    https://blender.community/c/rightclickselect/zXcbbc/

These are 101 basics guys. Blender shouldn't handhold users to select things they can't see, but instead open the gates to let users decide what selection style they want to choose. Likewise, growing/shrinking along loops and rings is an essential to modeling all other DCC poly-modeling-focused apps own. Please give those tickets a vote!
  • RN
    Offline / Send Message
    RN sublime tool
    Blaizer said:
    And that's the main problem, Blender 2.8 is designed to be used with a mouse and its middle button/wheel.
    @Blaizer Have a look at the Emulate 3 Button Mouse option, maybe it helps.
    ant1fact said:
    Quick note on this: running from command line is only needed under Linux. In Windows you can just toggle the system console from Blender itself
    This thing that @f1r3w4rr10r suggested with opening a command prompt and starting Blender from that, on Windows, is the only way to catch the error message when you're dealing with fatal crashes from your scripts (when Blender closes to desktop with no warning), since the terminal stays open for you to read the error output. You do this in these cases because the toggable system console will close before you can read it lol

@Justo so I tried here, hiding a collection by script doesn't hide its objects. But then I noticed pressing 1, 2, 3 ... 9, 0, while holding Shift will toggle the visibility of the collection and its objects, so maybe a script isn't needed? You'd put all cutter objects in the same collection and press Shift + number-that-represents-that-collection.

• ant1fact
    Offline / Send Message
    @RN ah you're right
  • Blaizer
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaizer interpolator
    RN said:
    @Blaizer Have a look at the Emulate 3 Button Mouse option, maybe it helps.
    Thanks man. It works fine with Blender factory default keymaps, but not with "industry compatible" keymaps or custom ones. I needed to revert all, but no problem. I can use now the viewport navigation using the "alt" key with the digital pen without issues, but it brokes selection loops.

Rotate - Alt-LMB

It's not written in Blender manual but:

Pan - Shift+Alt-LMB
    Zoom - Ctrl+Alt-LMB

"Pan shortcut" is Zoom in Modo and viceversa, but it doesn't matter. I need to re-remap some shortcuts and save a file.

• f1r3w4rr10r
    Offline / Send Message
    Justo said:
    So...two features of Blender I feel should be added as soon as possible to make Blender a more industry-friendly app:

Decouple XRay from Limit Selection to Visible (there is also an extensive feedback thread with reports from users who've worked with Blender for a lot longer than I):
    https://blender.community/c/rightclickselect/G6bbbc/
    Wow I use that so rarely, I didn't even notice it was changed in 2.8. But yeah everything that expands user options is a plus to me.
    Justo said:
    And you will also get a vote from me for this one.
    RN said:
    @Justo so I tried here, hiding a collection by script doesn't hide its objects. But then I noticed pressing 1, 2, 3 ... 9, 0, while holding Shift will toggle the visibility of the collection and its objects, so maybe a script isn't needed? You'd put all cutter objects in the same collection and press Shift + number-that-represents-that-collection.

This is the only thing in the Blender default keybinds I have changed so far. It annoyed me to no end, that when I am in object mode and think I am in edit mode, I press 1, 2 or 3 to change selection modes, but instead hide everything except collection 1, 2 or 3. Now those do nothing anymore in object mode.
  • Blaizer
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaizer interpolator
    Customizing Blender i have run into this problem. Is something normal? or i'm missing something. 

In edit mode > polygon mode, using subdivide it generates what you see on the capture. With "perfect circle" faces and other shapes i obtain bad results. Can we apply the subdivision algorithm from the subdivision modifier via script?

The subdivide operation is one of the most basic operations we need in subdivision modelling, but it doesn't work well as you can see here:

This method of subdivision produces too many unneeded artifacts. Is the equivalent of modo's "smooth" method of subdivision (an option not very used). But there should be an option for a Catmull-Clark method while editing. Is this the result of removing open subdiv from blender?

Applying a smooth in the affected part doesn't help at all, it erases the curvature and flattens all.

With other subdiv primitives or cylindrical forms we get the "pumpkin effect". Not the desired result as shown in the side. If we could apply the modifier to a part of the mesh, it would be fantastic. This is forcing me to split parts as other objects. This is insane.
  • Dataday
    Offline / Send Message
    Dataday polycounter lvl 8
    @Blaizer If I recall you said you were working around a cintiq right? It should have some touch strip no? Or is it one of the newer models with no hotkeys & a remote?

Both of my graphics tablets have touch strips (cintiq 20wsx and a huion kamvas pro 2019), which essentially emulates a mouse wheel. You could try that or if your cintiqs are missing hotkeys and a touch strip, grab or setup the wacom remote dial thing, whatever they call it now to do the same thing.

Alternatively, you can look at the 3rd party options out there which include everything from a usb dial to an xp-pen hotkey remote, even a nintendo switch controller set up joy2key will work.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eaRwmXopINA

You can always jump on the BlenderArtists forum as well and hit up this thread with your feedback: https://blenderartists.org/t/industry-compatible-keymap/1155183/53

William Reynish, who is active in that thread is managing the Industry Standard Keymap. So he will mostly likely respond if you find something that needs work with the keymap.

• Blaizer
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaizer interpolator
    @Dataday Yes, i work with a new Cintiq, just the screen. I activated the "Emulate 3 Button Mouse" in the preferences and worked fine as RN suggested, but it brokes the loop selections.

I've been lurking over those forums but i never registered. I will jump in sooner or later with some feedback. 
  • rollin
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter
    Fighting a bit with mirroring. How do I mirror an instanced mesh? Naturally I would go with the mirror modifier but it seems not possible to just mirror it does always double the mesh and works like the symmetry modifier from max

Also the mirror command under transform seems to only mirror the global position or the local scale. Say you have a left arm and want a right arm but both should use the same mesh data (aka instances) - how is the current workflow of doing it so I get two separate objects (in contrary to the mirror modifier)
  • xrg
    Offline / Send Message
    xrg polycounter lvl 10
    I might be misunderstanding what you mean, but Alt+D does a Linked Duplicate which will create a new object but share the mesh data. You should be able to mirror the duplicate with the mirror commands. Then when you edit one mesh, they both receive the changes.
  • rollin
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter
    xrg said:
    I might be misunderstanding what you mean, but Alt+D does a Linked Duplicate which will create a new object but share the mesh data. You should be able to mirror the duplicate with the mirror commands. Then when you edit one mesh, they both receive the changes.
    I might be totally stupid here but I'm not able to.
    I create an object, rotate it in an arbitrary way, just to be off the world axis alignment, make a linked duplicate, set cursor to (0,0,0), use transform->mirror, around cursor, global space and I get the instance mirrored in position but not in topology

• f1r3w4rr10r
    Offline / Send Message
    @rollin I just had a look at it myself and it seems to be an interesting problem, which I never noticed myself so far. It seems that when you mirror and object, which has no rotation applied, you can mirror the linked mesh just fine. (Mirroring the object is just setting one of the scale axes to -1) However when the object you want to mirror has rotation applied, it does not do it. That's curious.

I could imagine that's because there is no easy and reliable way to figure out on which axes to mirror, but it could also just be a bug.

A workaround would be, to just mirror the object as you already did (or move it to where you want to have it) and then just setting the desired axis' scale to -1.
  • rollin
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter
    A workaround would be, to just mirror the object as you already did (or move it to where you want to have it) and then just setting the desired axis' scale to -1.
    Fastest work around I found yet was to parent the duplicate to an (empty) objects which acts as mirror and then negative-scale this parent. Then unparent by keeping transform ("Clear and Keep Transform"). This sets the parent matrix of the duplicate and applies negative scale as needed to the duplicate. 
    Still this:
    a) sucks speed wise even though it should be easy to script it into a macro
    and b) is stupid if I don't want to have negative scale which easily results in inverted faces when exported to e.g. a game engine. So on export the objects need to be made unique and scale applied (or at least made non-negative). Again something we can script but dude.. 

Is anyone aware of an ticket regarding the mirror modifier - extending it to support simply flipping the mesh?