Home Digital Sketchbooks

Sketchbook: JunkieKong

Replies

• JunkieKong
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JunkieKong greentooth
    Here's a monster sketch from the other day.... started off as some kind of spider hybrid and ended up becoming a zombie like a lot of my stuff. Think I might have a fixation.

• JunkieKong
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JunkieKong greentooth
    Over the weekend I made this piece for a Meat Boy fan art competition. Probably spent the majority of the time mucking around with settings trying to figure out RenderMan but I think it turned out pretty well. Do me a solid and vote for it in the competition on Facebook here. Cheers.

Oh, and just in case - I made a 1920x1080 wallpaper of it too.
  • JunkieKong
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JunkieKong greentooth
    I had better make a post about the game I've been working on for the past yearish, because its now on Steam in early access! It's called Phantom Halls and it's got spook. I was the 3D and texture artist on it - even ended up doing a bunch of concept art for it later.
    Truth be told I haven't even played it yet, I can only vouch for the weird art I got to make, it's been fun to work on and some good stuff is planned ahead.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WzXaC0gLX3I

At some stage I should put up a closer look at some of the models and concepts.
  • JunkieKong
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JunkieKong greentooth
    I was commissioned to make this modular dungeon kit for a game project - it's pretty barebones and generic but these little sets are fun to make. The presentation scene was rendered in Marmoset. Better res pics on Artstation.

• JunkieKong
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JunkieKong greentooth
    That weird monster head I started has been sitting around for a while, so I decided to keep mucking around with it - here's where it's at now. If I keep working on it, I'd like to do a dirty retopo and have a go at painting a texture for it.
  • JunkieKong
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JunkieKong greentooth
    I've put a bunch of work for Phantom Halls on my Artstation including characters, props, environments, so check it out here: https://www.artstation.com/artwork/kdVwx

• JunkieKong
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JunkieKong greentooth
    More Phantom Halls work, specifically for an Evil Dead content pack: https://www.artstation.com/artwork/borln

• JunkieKong
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JunkieKong greentooth
    I've been very busy since the Riot art comp, but work is settling down so hopefully I'll have time to post some more stuff soon!
    In the meantime here is something that might help someone else who like me, has been manually baking gradients for their characters - wasting too much time in Maya, when it turns out you can do it in Toolbag 3 almost instantly!
    I'm sure it will be super obvious to people who already know about it, but I'm just mad that I've been using Toolbag for ages and only discovered this a few days ago.

• JunkieKong
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JunkieKong greentooth
    Whoops forgot to post this here - I got my Riot contest dude animated and working on Sketchfab, which is pretty neat.
    model

I don't really enjoy rigging, but it's definitely good practice to punish yourself and do a decent job of it.
    Here's the full presentation on Artstation

• JunkieKong
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JunkieKong greentooth
    I'm so bad at keeping this up to date... here is something fun I made in Blender 2.8

• Polynaught
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Polynaught polycounter lvl 11
    Love everything in this thread. Starting with your honest first works and ending with this airplane giving me some Sea Duck vibes. Keep it up.
  • Seth389
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Seth389 node
    I'm so bad at keeping this up to date... here is something fun I made in Blender 2.8

Lol nice!!! Huge megaman legends vibe going on here.

• Justo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justo polycounter
    You have some great stuff Patrick! If you could more about how you achieved that pixelated render look within Blender 2.8, I'd love to read that :) 
  • JunkieKong
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JunkieKong greentooth
    @Polynaught thanks for checking my stuff out, definitely have come some way since when I first started! The progress would look better if I hadn't neglected this thread so much...

@Seth389 that MM Legends aesthetic was something I wanted for sure!

@Justo I'll show you my settings in Blender, it's really nothing special. Had to create a most basic material to get the unlit effect, make sure there is no texture filtering on the image, and then render settings was mostly making sure anything fancy was turned off, minimum samples etc. One thing that tripped me up was the colours were all wrong at first and I thought it was some messed up linear vs sRGB thing going on, but actually was this bloody "filmic" setting in view transform which is on by default! Besides that it was just a matter of rendering at basically the lowest res that it still shows details (256x256 in this case) and then scaling the images up when exporting for the final presentation (make sure you don't use bicubic interpolation etc to retain the crunchy pixels).

• Torch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    Love your evil dead piece.

"This.... is my BOOMstick!" 
  • evgeny_h
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    evgeny_h polycounter lvl 3
    hah, so cool)))
  • JunkieKong
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JunkieKong greentooth
    Still alive, still occasionally making things. This is my latest folio piece, always good fun getting back to handpainted textures. I made it a little more interesting by putting it in Unity and adding cloth sim to the flag and got some wavy effect going with the foliage. Check it out on Artstation to see it in motion and get a good look in the model viewer.
  • snake85027
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    snake85027 polycounter lvl 18
    For the Riot Contest Dude, how did you animate him? Were the eyebrows vertex animation?
  • JunkieKong
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JunkieKong greentooth
    @snake85027 really nothing fancy my guy, just did a simple two pose blendshape for the blinks (that's the only facial animation going on)
  • JunkieKong
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JunkieKong greentooth
    Jiminy Christ I've neglected this thread, but that's just how it goes. Here's my Frankensword prop from ages ago:

And I have blog posts going over how I made it for those interested: Part1 Part2

I also recently had a game I did some work on come out, Bears in Space.
    They made an awesome live action trailer and I sculpted these toys of the main characters:

And here's a dump of my concept art:
    https://www.artstation.com/artwork/xDnVmW

• JunkieKong
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JunkieKong greentooth
    Something silly I did over the weekend to refresh myself on using Blender:

I was originally going to do a 128 challenge (128 tris, 128x128 texture) but realised pretty quick that 128 is insanely low, Goofy would have become a Minecraft skin. Bumped it up to a limit of 256 tris and that was still tricky. Texture was done by drawing pixels with a mouse in Aseprite.
    If you've never done anything that low poly before, I really encourage you to give it a shot - it's a great exercise of cutting out any vertex that isn't absolutely crucial to the design and with characters the simplest geo needed for deformation.