Home Technical Talk

[Maya] Material Manager 5.0.0 has Arrived!

polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
Bartalon polycounter lvl 12

Hey guys, just wanted to do a quick plug of the latest and final edition of my Material Manager tool for Maya.  Any feedback is welcomed, and I'll keep an eye on this thread for bug reports.  Thanks!

Material Manager 5.0.0

The Material Manager is an all-in-one interface for quickly interacting with scene materials.  Quickly sort, search, filter, create, rename, delete, search, and assign texture files with the click of a button!  This tool comes equipped with material presets that won't clutter up scene files and can be loaded in when they are needed, as well as an on-board color ID map baker.

Supported Maya Versions:  2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, all Maya LT versions

Read more and download at these locations:
  1. https://www.highend3d.com/maya/script/material-manager-for-maya
  2. https://gumroad.com/l/MaterialManager
  3. http://cbr.sh/xw5m6f
There is now an official Discord Server for MM5 and all my other scripts:

Primary Features

1. One-click Material Interaction
  2. One-click Texture Map Assignment/Removal
  3. Harden UV Border Edges Tool
  4. Color ID Map Baker (not available in Maya LT)
  5. Automatic Color ID Tool
  6. Quick Lambert/Blinn/StingrayPBS & Checker Materials
  7. Handedness Indicator/Flipper
  8. Namespace Removal Tool
  9. Vertex Color from Material Tool
  10. Customizable Material Presets
  11. User-customizable Variables

Breakdown Video

https://youtu.be/s8BjqM4DEiQ

Version History

(full history now in Google Docs)

11 March 2018 -- Version 5.0.0

General

1. Material Manager 5 has arrived!  This version comes with another massive overhaul to all the code.  The information flow should be much more clear and easy to read, and much of the functionality should be more compartmentalized for easier modification, if you’re into that sort of thing.

This overhaul marks the 5th time I’ve rewritten/reorganized the code which is why i’ve decided to make this release 5.0 instead of 4.4… and because it’s so much better!

New Features

1. Master config .txt file allows you to customize MM5 to initialize with your favorite settings and custom prefixes (for the Load Textures from Folder tool)

2. Master presets .txt file allows you to reorganize and add your own material presets to the Color Presets tab.  You also have control over what type of material the presets are when they are created

3. Added a Load Textures from Folder tool which assigns all texture channels at once

4. Window width control

5. StringrayPBS Support (for applicable versions of Maya)

6. Material indicators now work on selected groups (will report all materials on children)

7. More general support for all materials including mental ray, turtle, arnold

8. You can now assign/remove files to/from metallic & roughness channels on StingrayPBS materials

9. Multi-string material searching (separate each string with a space)

10. Material search results now update instantly

11. Improved Harden UV Edges tool - now solves for UV islands that wrap back around to themselves (such as cylinder bodies & spheres) and will appropriately soften those edges.  Works exactly like 3ds Max’s smoothing groups now

12. Swatches have been added to the Presets tab for quicker access to material ID colors

13. Material List indicators can now be suspended so assigned materials are not calculated when dealing with massive component selections

14. Presets can now be sorted per column or alternating left to right, top to bottom

15. Auto Assign Color IDs tool now works per object or per mesh element

16. Added an option to auto-append “M_” to materials as they are created

17. Added a cleanup tool to add “M_” to existing materials if they don’t already have it

18. ID Map Baker HP/LP/Cage fields now have an icon to list large amounts of loaded models which will be visible if something is loaded into that field

19. ID Map Baker now supports multiple low poly and cage files

UI

1. UI in general has been overhauled.  Nearly all of the UI has transitioned from a gridLayout format to a formLayout format.

2. ID Map Baker has been overhauled

3. Harden UV Edges tool now has a progress bar

4. The “Force Refresh” button has been removed to reduce button congestion.  Close and re-open MM5 if the indicators are not working as expected

5. Replaced Quick Checker material with a Quick StingrayPBS material.  Quick Checker has now been appended to the end of the preset swatches.

Bug Fixes / Performance

1. Auto Color ID tool now processes meshes MUCH faster and with more correct results

2. Selection-only material matching is now MUCH faster than before

3. Duplicate Material has been overhauled.  Hypershade is no longer required to be open and all shadingEngine and down stream nodes will automatically rename according to the new name.

4. Binding a hotkey for the Material Manager should finally work

5. Material Control buttons are now smarter: they will look at your selection even if nothing is marked and react appropriately

6. Many functions that deal with material channels are now smarter and will attempt to pick the most relevant channel if one exists.  This also means that materials not necessarily listed as being supported here may still work and/or it will be very simple to implement support.

7. Materials with namespaces should be accurately represented and interactable

8. Escape now properly cancels out of a quick material assign prompt dialog

9. Checker pattern contrast has been reduced

10. Fixed a bug where an object’s assigned materials were being queried multiple times per selection change

11. Fixed an issue where the material list updated significantly slower if “sort assigned materials to top” was enabled

12. ID Map Baker now remembers the most recent meshes you loaded as well as the file destination.

Other

1. The Smart Exporter has been removed from being part of the Material Manager.  Development will be conducted separately from now on, however it is currently backlogged.

Replies

• ThomasVeil
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ThomasVeil polycounter lvl 8
    Awesome! Thanks for looking into it.
  • Bartalon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @ThomasVeil looks like I fixed the problem.  I'm not sure how many materials you're working with but I tested in a scene with over 600 and, while there is still a bit of hang time, it is now muuuuuch faster.

31 March 2018 - v5.0.6

General

1. The Quick Phong button has been added to the Material Control area

2. Added a warning for matching marked materials that are not assigned to anything

3. Redshift materials have been added to the list of valid materials.

4. Updated the code for the hotkey and shelf button commands.  You should reassign your hotkey and create a new shelf button using the menu options

Bug Fixes / Performance

1. Fixed a fatal error when using a hotkey to open MM5 as the first command in a new session of Maya 2017 and higher.  You must re-bind your hotkey for this fix to work

2. Fixed an “unknown object type” warning for the aiShadowCatcher material in 2018.2

3. Fixed an issue where MM5 would update extremely slowly in scenes that had a very large number of materials (hundreds).  Response is now much faster but still hangs for a short period when the list updates that many materials

4. Duplicating a StingrayPBS material will no longer create duplicate Textures Global maps and will instead use the maps from the original material

5. Fixed an issue where deleting a range selection of materials did not delete all materials

6. Removed some superfluous warnings

Full version history here
  • triton
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    triton polycounter lvl 6
    Bartalon said:
    @ThomasVeil looks like I fixed the problem.  I'm not sure how many materials you're working with but I tested in a scene with over 600 and, while there is still a bit of hang time, it is now muuuuuch faster.

31 March 2018 - v5.0.6

General

1. The Quick Phong button has been added to the Material Control area

2. Added a warning for matching marked materials that are not assigned to anything

3. Redshift materials have been added to the list of valid materials.

4. Updated the code for the hotkey and shelf button commands.  You should reassign your hotkey and create a new shelf button using the menu options

Bug Fixes / Performance

1. Fixed a fatal error when using a hotkey to open MM5 as the first command in a new session of Maya 2017 and higher.  You must re-bind your hotkey for this fix to work

2. Fixed an “unknown object type” warning for the aiShadowCatcher material in 2018.2

3. Fixed an issue where MM5 would update extremely slowly in scenes that had a very large number of materials (hundreds).  Response is now much faster but still hangs for a short period when the list updates that many materials

4. Duplicating a StingrayPBS material will no longer create duplicate Textures Global maps and will instead use the maps from the original material

5. Fixed an issue where deleting a range selection of materials did not delete all materials

6. Removed some superfluous warnings

Full version history here
    This version is not working with me :(
    Everything is broken!

• triton
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    triton polycounter lvl 6
    // Error: file: C:/Users/xxx/Documents/maya/2018/prefs/scripts/dp_MaterialManager.mel line 3398: Invalid call to "stringArrayRemove".  Check number and types of arguments expected by the procedure.

This messge appears wherever I click on the UI.

• Bartalon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sorry about that.  I try to test the changes I make on every version before I release but it looks I missed something!  This specific error has to do with 2018.  The issue should be fixed now, go ahead and re-download MM5 from Gumroad (version still says 5.0.6 but it has been updated).

DM me if you end up having more issues.  Thanks!
  • Bartalon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Hey guys I wanted to give a quick update:  Material Manager 5.1.0 is out, you can get it here:

Major highlights:
    • Interactive window resizing is now a thing, finally!  
    • Refresh Material List button and menu option added
    • New Bonus Tool setting to disable Attribute Editor popping
    • AutodeskUberShader.fxo support
    • Ambient Occlusion support for some materials & Channel Control button

Additionally, I've created a Discord to better serve the people who use Material Manager or any of my other tools.

See you there!
  • Taylor Brown
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Taylor Brown ngon master
    Thanks, really excited to start using this!
  • ryankentpaule
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I am getting this error using maya 2019 // Warning: line 0: Flags describing target surfaces must be included once for every surface
  • Bartalon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I am getting this error using maya 2019 // Warning: line 0: Flags describing target surfaces must be included once for every surface

Hi, thanks for reporting this.  Can you answer these questions to help me troubleshoot:
    1. Are you using macOS or Windows?
    2. Which button are you pressing that causes the warning? 
    3. Can you duplicate the issue with other models / in a different scene?
    4. Can you provide a step-by-step process to duplicate the error?
    5. Can you provide the file in which you are experiencing the issue?
    Thanks.
  • janoshx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    janoshx polycounter lvl 6
    This is really nice plugin!

A good usability improvement would be that the material manager would remember what settings I have been using previously.

For example I always turn on the "Report children" checkbox and "sort assigned materials first". Now i have to set them on each session...

• Bartalon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @janoshx thanks, I'm glad it's working out for you!

As for your sorting options, I got you covered!  In your installation directory, you will find mm_config.txt which contains a lot of global settings.  You want to look for the mm_cb_children and mm_cb_sass IDs and set their values according to the annotations.

While you're in there, check to see if there are any other settings you might want to set as your default. :)

Cheers