Home Career & Education

Need quality advice whether to Study further or get in to the industry?

polycounter lvl 2
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
mashonoid polycounter lvl 2

Hello everyone, my name is Manav, I am 19 and currently I am studying game designing from an institute in India (Mumbai), its an Unity Certified Course and its about to be over. I have completed my high school and I don't have any kind of degree what so ever. 

I come from a business oriented family therefore my FINAL plan is to have my own Game Studio Production.

I really want to pursue in this field. My initial plan (when I was in 11th) was to study the overall basics of game designing and step into the industry with my own company producing games. But now after a year and a half I am at a point where I am offered job at where I study to be a teacher/professor. While studying game designing I got so much deeper into it as an artist that I now have second thoughts about stepping into the industry as a company and rather go to collage or at least keep studying at home by myself for at least 1 more year and then I would be stepping into establishing my own Game Studio.

But I am here to get advice from you guys. What would you do if you were in my shoe. What kind of decisions would you make. Should I go to collage? If yes then which ones do you recommend and why? If not College than should I be teaching my self with online resources and courses? If yes then why? Should I start establishing my company and start producing games? If yes then would my lack of knowledge in each and every aspect of Game Designing sabotage my plans? Should I accept this teaching job, get some experience? If yes then why? Or maybe Should I do a Job or Internship at a proper Game Studio for about 6 months to a year?

Your Inputs will really help me decide my future path!

Replies

• Zi0
    Offline / Send Message
    Zi0 polycounter
    Learning how to program and create games is a skill that you need if you want to create and design games so you could search for a programming course/college and see if they also have any game design related classes etc. An entrepreneurship course wouldn't hurt as well. I would not recommend to become a teacher yet, you are only 19 and have no experience in the field, to me schools that hire students after graduation to become teachers are just trying to desperately get more staff as quick as possible. A real teacher/professor is someone who has a lot of knowledge because of all the years of experience gained in the industry. At your age its better to keep learning imo at least.
  • mashonoid
    Offline / Send Message
    mashonoid polycounter lvl 2
    Zi0 said:
    Learning how to program and create games is a skill that you need if you want to create and design games so you could search for a programming course/college and see if they also have any game design related classes etc. An entrepreneurship course wouldn't hurt as well. I would not recommend to become a teacher yet, you are only 19 and have no experience in the field, to me schools that hire students after graduation to become teachers are just trying to desperately get more staff as quick as possible. A real teacher/professor is someone who has a lot of knowledge because of all the years of experience gained in the industry. At your age its better to keep learning imo at least.
    Thank you so much for your reply. I totally agree and I am sorry I forgot to mentioned that I am being hired as an ASSISTANT professor by the main professor himself who taught me and so basically I am hired to assist him and as well as I will be learning more stuff staying around him and other professors. I also agree that I should continue to learn more and more which I will do during my job in free time as well as after my job. So I decided to take this job just with the intention of getting experience as a full time employee and I think it will also help me get contacts as I am not planning to get into a college, I am more inclined towards self learning and making a solid portfolio to get a job in a proper game studio.

Again thanks a lot for your reply it really helped me.