Home Adobe Substance

Panel Detailing

KeCzajkowski
polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
KeCzajkowski polycounter lvl 12
I'm looking for suggestions on method to automatically generate details that follow around the edges of panels/facets in Substance Painter.

https://i.imgur.com/kS6NiXd.png

As seen in the above picture just some lines that run along the edges of faces and I can fine tune things from there.  I messed around with curvature maps and edge detection for a couple hours today but I didn't make much progress.  Any suggestions or solutions would be most helpful!

Replies

• zachagreg
    Offline / Send Message
    zachagreg ngon master
     What software and what is your target? Are you rendering these out? Is it for normal baking?
  • KeCzajkowski
    Offline / Send Message
    Well I feel stupid that's what i get for posting really late at night.  This is in Substance Painter.  Ideally just a make I can use to add detail in various maps.
  • KeCzajkowski
    Offline / Send Message
    I know there has to be some way I'm just not familiar with.  I got fairly close but I couldn't get hard edges in my indents.
  • zachagreg
    Offline / Send Message
    zachagreg ngon master
    You should be able to set a layer with height to something negative like -.1 or something and then a mask with a paint layer on it to paint in the details in the 3D viewport. I would recommend using a thorn brush to do the actual painting. Holding down shift when you click will make straight lines.

Alternatively I believe there is a panel normal stamp in Painter called Bevel Line/ Rectangle/Circle that you can use for specific shapes.

You can also just loft a simple shape along a spline and use it as a floater for your highpoly if you're baking down.

• KeCzajkowski
    Offline / Send Message
    I understand that i can paint it in manually but I was thinking it would pretty useful to be able to generate that sort of thing automatically.  I figured there might be some way with a curvature map to make that happen but I didn't really get anywhere with it.
  • Taylor Brown
    Offline / Send Message
    Taylor Brown ngon master
    Hmm you could mess with the UV Border Generator on a mask... Maybe auto stitcher with another filter over it. It's not going to get you the random panel line effect but worth trying