Home Marmoset

GPU instability/bad performance during bakes in Toolbag/Painter after Windows Fall Creators Update

polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
Bluestemos polycounter lvl 5
First off, I'm not sure if this is the best place to post this so mods feel free to move/close the thread.

Alright, so I'm having a bit of an issue with my GPU. After the Windows Fall Creators Update my GPU tends to hang quite a bit and it's generally slower when using Toolbag 3 and Substance Painter. Toolbag loads projects super slowly, the baker takes a long time to initialize and baking a 4K AO map is a guaranteed crash.

In Marmoset, whenever I try baking a 4K AO map I always get a "Fatal GPU error". Then Toolbag crashes and I get a desktop notification saying toolbag  "has been denied Graphics Device usage". This is the error message I see inside Toolbag:

I tried changing the "Baker GPU Priority" but none of the settings had an effect on the baker's stability. The baker doesn't just crash, it's also very, very slow compared to what it was before the Windows update. Before I could easily crank out a 4K AO map in around a minute - now I can barely bake a 2K AO map without crashing the baker and the baking process takes forever. Normal map bakes are almost instant though, even at 16bit 4K + max AA, which is kinda weird.

In Painter loading a project is very slow. Painter's baker doesn't crash though, it's just very slow compared to before the update. Then, after the update, I was greeted by this notification when booting up Painter. This never came up before the update.

I added the "TdrDelay" and "TdrDdiDelay" registry keys into the registry and set their values to 60 seconds. Now Painter doesn't mention it on startup, but the baker is still very slow. Changing the TDR values didn't have an effect on Toolbag's baker's stability either.

What's worth mentioning is that I don't have performance issues with games. I have no trouble running games on the usual, almost maxed out settings. The GPU's instability is the most apparent when doing a long bake or loading a project.

So far I've:
- Uninstalled all graphics drivers using DDU, and reinstalled the most recent NVIDIA drivers manually from their site.
- Rolled back the GPU driver 6 versions to see if one of the drivers would be better suited for the new Windows version.
- Did a complete Windows reinstall, wiping my C: drive clean. The installation left me with the Fall Creators Update which is a little unfortunate.
- "sfc /scannow", with no unusual results.
- Disk cleanup including system files.
- Checked NVIDIA control panel for odd settings.
- Made sure Windows game mode was turned off.
- Changed the TDR registry values to 60.
- Updated all other components' drivers to see if they're conflicting with the GPU.
- Contacted NVIDIA support. They adviced me to reinstall the OS to eliminate the possibility of any corruption.
- Contacted Microsoft support twice. The first time wasn't all that useful, the second time the support agent managed to mess up my computer during a remote session.
- I did several GPU benchmarks to see if the issue is hardware related, but nothing unusual came up. The GPU itself is fine.
- Reinstalled Toolbag 3 and Substance Painter.
- Done countless reboots and shutdowns.

Oh, and I can't roll back to a previous version of Windows since my C: drive was completely wiped during the Windows reinstallation process.

Any ideas? 
Thanks!

Replies

• EarthQuake
    Hi Henri,

Unfortunately this is not a problem that we've encountered yet.

The general advice we would give is to make sure to change the TDR, which it looks like you've already done. We have a tool that does this, which you should try anyway just in case it didn't register correctly: https://s3.amazonaws.com/mset/download/release/tdr_adjust.exe

If there is any more information you can provide that would be great, such as:

CPU
    Amount of RAM
    GPU and RAM info (looks like 1080, 8GB?)

More details about the scene which you are having problems with may be helpful too. For instance, how many triangles are in your high poly mesh? Are you experiencing slow/unstable baking with a mesh you've previously baked before, or is this a new mesh?

Toolbag ships with a bake test scene, if you go to Example Scenes -> Bake Widget, and try baking AO in this scene how long does it take?

• Bluestemos
    Offline / Send Message
    Bluestemos polycounter lvl 5
    Hi Henri,

Unfortunately this is not a problem that we've encountered yet.

The general advice we would give is to make sure to change the TDR, which it looks like you've already done. We have a tool that does this, which you should try anyway just in case it didn't register correctly: https://s3.amazonaws.com/mset/download/release/tdr_adjust.exe

If there is any more information you can provide that would be great, such as:

CPU
    Amount of RAM
    GPU and RAM info (looks like 1080, 8GB?)

More details about the scene which you are having problems with may be helpful too. For instance, how many triangles are in your high poly mesh? Are you experiencing slow/unstable baking with a mesh you've previously baked before, or is this a new mesh?

Toolbag ships with a bake test scene, if you go to Example Scenes -> Bake Widget, and try baking AO in this scene how long does it take?

Hey,

I think the tool you linked actually might've fixed the issue! I just ran the tool and rebooted my PC, after that I tried doing some bakes in TB3 and couldn't get the baker to crash even if I tried. The performance issues seem to be resolved as well, in both Painter and Marmoset.

Just in case you're still interested in the extra details:
    CPU - i5-4440 @ 3,10 GHz
    RAM - 16 Gb
    GPU - GTX 1060, 6Gb (I got the pic of the Painter TDR error online since I didn't see it anymore and couldn't get a pic of it myself, hence the 1080 mentioned in the pic)

The crashes were happening with all projects, new and old. Now I tried doing multiple bakes after running tdr_adjust.exe:
    - Example Scenes > Bake Widget - All maps - 4K 16x AA - 25 seconds - No Crash
    - 2,6 mil tris HP - Normals, Obj Normals, Position, Curve, AO - 4K 16x AA - 3 minutes 6 seconds - No Crash
    - 1,1 mil tris HP - Normals, Position, Curve, AO, Mat ID - 4K 16x AA - 58 seconds - No Crash

Everything seems to be working as usual now. Gotta say I was pretty scared for my PC, glad there was a fix. I love you man haha  <3

Thank you very much for the help!
  • EarthQuake
    Okay great, these performance numbers are in line with what we would expect to see, so it looks like everything is working as it should be now.
  • Yoji
    Offline / Send Message
    Yoji polycounter lvl 8
    Hey I just wanted to say, thank you.
    To anyone having doubts or any anxiety about the subject.
    I want to confirm that this solution still works even now.
  • FourtyNights
    Offline / Send Message
    FourtyNights polycounter

I found this thread today when I was looking for a solution to my "GPU Priority" crashes, and noticed that awesome little TDR app. But it didn't tell how much it increases the TDR value. Like how much time it adds for gpu's response? Great tool instead of going through registry.

• EarthQuake

I found this thread today when I was looking for a solution to my "GPU Priority" crashes, and noticed that awesome little TDR app. But it didn't tell how much it increases the TDR value. Like how much time it adds for gpu's response? Great tool instead of going through registry.

Hi Lauri, I just asked and it looks like it disables the timeout entirely, rather than increasing the timeout value.
  • FourtyNights
    Offline / Send Message
    FourtyNights polycounter
    Interesting, good to know. I noticed that running it again for the second time it resets TDR back to its default since it reminded me of that before I ran it for the first time. So, I'll probably revert it for regular use when I'm not baking or texturing, which are usually GPU heavy tasks. For example when gaming, the crashing of GPU drivers fast is probably desirable. But thanks for the info. Helps with Substance Painter's TDR pop-up as well.
  • Ecstetika
    this tool does not help me its still crashes what can be the problem?

• DavidCruz
    Offline / Send Message
    DavidCruz interpolator
    Ecstetika said:
    this tool does not help me its still crashes what can be the problem?

Going to be nice but spamming all the threads doesn't help the situation, they will look through each label them into priority of importance and you are taking up the time for your thread to get a response cause they looked at all the other response's.
    I am helping them in response i do not work or know the people who created this but i am sure they are busy.
  • HomelessTaco

I found the Same Problem and tried the Tool it didn't work so I went through some of the stuff he tried and noticed in Nvidia Control Panel that for Marmoset AO is not supported for this Application I'm pretty sure that this is the problem as when I try to bake, unchecking AO, it works fine. I updated my drivers manually and still wouldn't change. Is there any fix to this or would I need new Hardware. Mine is

CPU-Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10510U @ 1.80GHz

Ram-16GB

GPU-NVIDIA GeForce MX250

If its needed @EarthQuake

• EarthQuake

Please try updating your GPU drivers. If that doesn't help, upgrading your hardware may be the only option. The MX250 in particular is an underpowered GPU that was not intended for 3D content creation. It should support basic features in Toolbag but I would expect poor performance and instability with that GPU when working in more complex scenes.

An Nvidia 1050 with 4GB of VRAM would be the minimum GPU I would recommend for use with Toolbag. A GPU with 6 or 8GB would be better, and an Nvidia RTX 20** series card or newer will be best for ray tracing.

• Chubnub
    Offline / Send Message
    Chubnub polycounter lvl 7

For anyone trying to still figure this out try disabling Vanguard. It's an anti-cheat program from Valorant if you have the game installed on the computer. Apparently it messes with the GPU. But doing that would mean you can't play Valorant until it is enabled again.

• Joaole

Hi guys!

Im having the same issue with Marmoset Toolbag4 when i press to bake, the software frozes then it shows:

and closes.

I've Tried to reinstall mamrmoset

Checked for Drivers and windows update

Used the tdr software

Changed the bake priority

Eaven diseabled vanguard(valorant anti cheat)

Im with a Ryzen 5800x, RTX2060, 32gb 3600mhz ddr4 ram

• ReD-SpideR
    Offline / Send Message
    ReD-SpideR polycounter lvl 14

Hello @Joaole ,

Could you provide us with some more information?

Firstly,

Does it crashes in any scene? or just the one you are working on?

• * You can test this by going to our library>Scenes> and select the 'Bake Widget'
    • Try baking this scene and let us know if it still crashes.

If it's crashing just with the scene you are working on, please e-mail us at: support@marmoset.co with the following information providing below,

Scene Bundle Export:

1. File > Export > Scene Bundle. (Save this to a newly created folder).
    2. The zip should contain: .tbscene file along with the /assets/ folder.
    3. Zip up the newly created folder and send it to our email.

Log File:

• If you can reproduce the crash, right after without opening Toolbag again, could you obtain the log file and attach it to our email.

Location of Log File:

Windows: \Users\yourUsername\AppData\Local\Marmoset Toolbag 4

System Specs:

Windows:

1. Open the Start menu, search "System Information" and open it.
    2. Select "System Summary" at the top of the left section in the window that appears.
    3. Select File -> Save.., save the file, and send us a copy. It will be in the .nfo file format.

Thanks,

• DeivBoo

I have same “fatal GPU Error” after I press to bake. TDR tool doesn’t help.

Joaole, did you solve the problem?

• ReD-SpideR
    Offline / Send Message
    ReD-SpideR polycounter lvl 14

Hey DeivBoo

Please follow my steps outline for Joaole above! :)