Home Adobe Substance

SP Super Slow When Playing With Complex Material Parameters!!

SP works fine with simple built-in materials. However, when I download and use some complex materials from either Substance Share and Substance Source, SP is extremely slow to respond. It takes around 10 seconds or something to update simple changes. Extremely slow! What might be the cause of this?

I am planning to upgrade my PC but not sure where to start (I have an OK PC) and just want to replace some parts to help SP more usable.
Here is my PC spec

Replies

• Chef_0f_J0EY_SH3rWay
    Apparently, my PC spec meets all the recommend requirements from SP 2019. In reality, it is extremely slow when working with slightly large project and complex materials(example: materials from Substance Source)
  • leleuxart
    Offline / Send Message
    leleuxart polycounter lvl 10
    I'm not familiar with any materials directly from Source, but that sounds pretty typical of complex materials. Making .sbsars for use in Painter is much more complicated than just making a good looking Substance material. There are many things to take into account(processing order of nodes, complexity of math, etc) that you usually don't see being done.

Only way around it afaik, without access to the original Designer final and ignoring PC upgrades, is to work in a lower resolution while you're moving sliders around in a material. That can take just as long, if not longer, if you keep going back and forth in resolutions, so I'd just pick a lower one and work until you're almost done.
  • oglu
    Offline / Send Message
    oglu polycount lvl 666
    Your graphics card is to weak. Get a new decent nvidia with at least 8GB of ram.
  • Chef_0f_J0EY_SH3rWay
    leleuxart said:
    I'm not familiar with any materials directly from Source, but that sounds pretty typical of complex materials. Making .sbsars for use in Painter is much more complicated than just making a good looking Substance material. There are many things to take into account(processing order of nodes, complexity of math, etc) that you usually don't see being done.

Only way around it afaik, without access to the original Designer final and ignoring PC upgrades, is to work in a lower resolution while you're moving sliders around in a material. That can take just as long, if not longer, if you keep going back and forth in resolutions, so I'd just pick a lower one and work until you're almost done.
    That was what I did. I was able to work on my weak PC and finished the project yesterday by downsizing the Texture size to either 1k or 500. Every time I wanted to check the textures I had to switch back to 2K which took me some time.
  • Chef_0f_J0EY_SH3rWay
    oglu said:
    Your graphics card is to weak. Get a new decent nvidia with at least 8GB of ram.
    What is a good Graphic Card nowadays? Should I get GTX or Quadro? Zotac vs Gigabyte? 
  • oglu
    Offline / Send Message
    oglu polycount lvl 666
    Brand doesnt matter. A Geforce is the way to go cause of CUDA and RTX.
    We use Geforce 2070 and 2080Ti from MSI here in the office.