Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[ UE4 Environment ] Mountain River Landscape

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
Dash-POWER polycounter lvl 6
Hello folks, I want to share with you my new small landscape project what I did. Most work is done in UE4 and Substance (designer and alchemist). Bushes are done in speedtree. Hope you like it.

https://youtu.be/Px6AQ6mRQ7Y

Replies

• Ashervisalis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ashervisalis grand marshal polycounter
    Looks really cool! I'm having trouble finding a focal point in your images, but the materials and such are done pretty well.
  • Dash-POWER
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, the focal point could be much better I agree. Thanks for pointing it out. I will try to think about it more next time. :smiley:
  • Alex_J
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alex_J grand marshal polycounter
    looks beautiful. gerat materials.

i will nitpick a small thing though. I think the way you got snow on peaks isn't exactly realistic. The way it cuts off at such a distinct line, then the fact that it's still clinging onto the steepest ridges seems opposite of what you'd expect. If most snow is melted, the only places with snow left shoudl be in the darker occluded ravines.

Actually I believe you can use some maps to mask off area like that. Simple way is use your AO obviously but you could also bake your directional light and look for spots above certain height and under x amount of slope and only put snow there. If you were working in a game within day night cycle you can maybe working into the shader a way to figure out the spots where directional light rays never hit and put your snow clumps in there.

Small nitpick but i think its knida like anatomy for character artiest. Sometimes you don't know what exactly is slightly off but you can tell it ain't quite perfect.

hope that helps. awesome work though really inspiring especially for me cause i been dabbling in world machine and world creation.
  • Dash-POWER
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you for your detailed feedback! Yes, I agree. The background mountains could look better. I was using same landscape as the main one but with different textures (It's bad for performance but it was just faster to duplicate and scale up the same landscape). About snow, I can use AO or any other data - I was using World Machine for that so I can output almost any data to UE4.

Anyway, I marked your suggestions down and will try to pay more attention for far distance objects such as mountains in my future enviro projects. 
  • Alex_J
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alex_J grand marshal polycounter
    oh world machine has some nodes specifically for that. That's how come I was thinking about it. I don't remember names but they're in there.
  • zamyslony
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    How you draw this pebbles on water?