Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

"Hunt: Showdown"-Character [realtime] - Crytek

polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
goekbenjamin polycounter lvl 5
Follow me on my Journey on creating my very own realtime character for "Hunter: Showdown"!

I love what Crytek
created with the game! Also, I like that they served the western-genre.
As an aspiring character artist, I am stunned by the characters they made for that game, so I decided I try to create my very own character which will fit in their Hunter-universe.

Any sort of feedback and or critique is highly appreciated!

I started on September 18, 2019, working on that character after my regular job, so the time I can spare is about 2-3 hours a day.

So join me on my adventure :D

Replies

• goekbenjamin
    Offline / Send Message
    I knew my character will be a male so I took my basement and polished/changed it a little bit.

Also, I knew that I will use Marvelous Designer for clothing, so what I do is:
    Rigging the basemesh, pose it in a "relaxed a-pose" inside of Maya, make an animation in which the basemesh is squatting to get the best/realistically folds/wrinkles for garments.

as you probably noticed I modeled som boots too while the basemesh was in a "default" a-pose
    (see next post for the boots)
  • goekbenjamin
    Offline / Send Message
    Boots:

As always, I try to find good references (Hint: to display and collect reference images I use "PureRef")

I modeled the base in Maya with the help of referencing those images, after that,
    I imported that in ZBrush and prepared it for further refinement

detailing the boots:

• goekbenjamin
    Offline / Send Message
    Garments:
    I created the pants and belt in MD and tested the simulation
    (Notice: particle distance was at "20" for that GIF, so no quality folds expected here :D )

Let's dance the "Hopak" ;)

And this is what it looked after trial and error to get the garments right (after simulating + animation):

The back looks not that good, of course, you should/can adjust the garment after simulation,
    regardless if you animated it or not for "realistic folds" if the result looks bad, no need to not readjust it by hand I guess :)
  • goekbenjamin
    Offline / Send Message
    Gun:
    Never modeled a gun, so...
    Also, I try to stick with some reference here.

Tried to stay as low as possible with the vertex count so I can change it easier later if needed:

cleanup:

• goekbenjamin
    Offline / Send Message
    Gunbelt blocked out for my "Hunter" and adjusted the clothes a little bit

• goekbenjamin
    Offline / Send Message
    Worked on clothing details

• Alex_J
    Offline / Send Message
    Alex_J grand marshal polycounter
    Looking pretty good so far.

Couple things -- his pants are a bit saggy. Seem like they are gonna fall off his ass.

Boots seem a bit over-sized.

Bullets on the belts and holsters -- you using ref for this? What caliber? They look like stubby rifle cartridges. I may be wrong, just looks weird at first glance.
  • goekbenjamin
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey, thanks for your comments, I appreciate that a lot!

Where exactly do you think it feels saggy?
    The next area I would rework is this one:

Indeed the Bullets are placeholders, I need to redefine them in comparison with the gun (somewhat a peacemaker)
    there are so many different colts + bullets, hard to know what bullet-type(s) belongs to what gun :D
  • Alex_J
    Offline / Send Message
    It looks like belt is sitting midway through his ass cheeks and the bottom of the rear pockets is well below the bottom of his ass. Basically, it looks like a modern european guy wearing modern european jeans. But somebody who travels and works outdoors in jeans can't wear them like that. They will chaffe the shit out of your crotch if you try. So you have to wear them up a lot higher. We should be seeing the full figure of his manly buns. :)

Sorry, this is best pic I could find. But see where the belt is cinched. It's all the way above the hip bones.
    Image result for authentic cowboy in jeans

About the bullets, google can educate you very quickly there. Just search "cowbody pistols" then find one that fits the look then search that model specifically and you'll find the caliber or calibers it was manufactured in. Then look up "cowbody gun belt .45cal" or whatever the caliber is and you may get a better idea.

In general, pistol bullets are stubbier with rounder tip. Rifle cartridges are longer and more aerodynamic.

• goekbenjamin
    Offline / Send Message
    It looks like belt is sitting midway through his ass cheeks and the bottom of the rear pockets is well below the bottom of his ass. Basically, it looks like a modern european guy wearing modern european jeans. But somebody who travels and works outdoors in jeans can't wear them like that. They will chaffe the shit out of your crotch if you try. So you have to wear them up a lot higher. We should be seeing the full figure of his manly buns. :)

Sorry, this is best pic I could find. But see where the belt is cinched. It's all the way above the hip bones.
    Image result for authentic cowboy in jeans

About the bullets, google can educate you very quickly there. Just search "cowbody pistols" then find one that fits the look then search that model specifically and you'll find the caliber or calibers it was manufactured in. Then look up "cowbody gun belt .45cal" or whatever the caliber is and you may get a better idea.

In general, pistol bullets are stubbier with rounder tip. Rifle cartridges are longer and more aerodynamic.

I understand fully the meaning behind that, and that it should be based on real-life stuff,
    but somehow I find its also a "design" decision somewhat, I want the character also looks appealing and not only "real".
    I really struggle if or not I should model the pants more towards the upper side. I will try a "quick fix" to check what it looks like.

Please don't get me wrong here Alex,
    i really appreciate your tips here! :)
  • Alex_J
    Offline / Send Message
    You don't find my google cowboy appeaaaaaling???? :)

No worries it's just free advice from the internet. Buns is in though. People wanna see them buns.
  • goekbenjamin
    Offline / Send Message
    Worked on the face

• Jimmy_Chao
    goekbenjamin said:

The back looks not that good, of course, you should/can adjust the garment after simulation,
    regardless if you animated it or not for "realistic folds" if the result looks bad, no need to not readjust it by hand I guess :)
    The simulation looks good, is there any tips when using MD to simulate?  How do you adjust the garment "after" the simulation? By sculpting?
  • goekbenjamin
    Offline / Send Message
    @Jimmy_Chao Hey, by adjusting i meant pull/push garment while animation is done and simulation is still running, also via sculpting by hand.
  • Jimmy_Chao
    Oh, ok that makes sense.
  • goekbenjamin
    Offline / Send Message
    Retopoed the boots

• Dumbanana
    Offline / Send Message
    Dumbanana polycounter lvl 11
    I'd reconsider the edge flow on the front of the boot/ bottom of the sole and instead match them up or make it a water tight mesh. Otherwise, if you are rigging or animating it, you will potentially run into issues of mesh poking through or not matching--make it 'annoying' for the rigging process and weight painting.

Something to consider. Cool project though, can't wait to see more.
  • goekbenjamin
    Offline / Send Message
    @Dumbanana
    Thanks a lot for your suggestion, you are right about edge flow!
    I will surely have to rework that part!

I am glad you like it so far
    ------------------------
    Edit:

ok adjusted the retopo,
    so it's a "watertight" mesh now, surely makes "more fun" to rig that without worrying for poking tris :)