Home Career & Education

Best options (schools, courses, masters) to become a 3D Environment Artist.

Offline / Send Message
Pinned
Hi everyone¡ Currently Im finishing my game design degree and at the same time working as Level Designer for a casual games company.
I really love 3D environment art and since a lot of time ago I was really interested in becoming a 3D environment artist so I started a few months ago to know more about the fundamentals of 3Ds Max, Maya and Zbrush. (also a little aof substance)

Despite of searching a bunch of tutorials and courses through intenet, I was hoping if you could give me some advice about 3d schools or online masters/courses specialized in 3d Environment Art, because honestly, when you are trying to do in your own you really dont know which is the right way that you have to follow.

I would really appreciate your help¡

Replies

• Taylor Brown
    Offline / Send Message
    Taylor Brown ngon master
    Take Clinton Crumpler's Modular Environments for UE course at CGMA. It was worth every penny to soak up his knowledge :)

Edit: Read your post a bit more thoroughly. If you're just getting into your software... do a couple personal projects first and then seek some outside education. If you're fighting hotkeys and workflows the whole time, you arent going to get much of anything from a class (unless its the most basic course which at that point just go to youtube)
  • Kolding45
    I completed some beginner tutorials and also I have one 3D modeling subject this year at university (generalist), so I think that i am able to follow a course or a class in a normal way and dont get stucked so easily.
    Maybe I hadnt explained well, but thanks for the advice anyway. Clinton Cumpler's course could be a great training in order to get more confidence with different softwares. 

I read something about the CGMA Courses and degrees, and specially the 3D Environment Art Master, but you know, These kinds of courses are expensive and I want to take the most accurate decision, speaking in terms of efficiency and money.

P.d: Not only online education, whatever course, school, that know about are welcome too. 
  • PixelMasher
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelMasher veteran polycounter
    shameless self promo but got a bunch of free tutorials up on my polygon academy youtube channel that might be useful :)
  • Kolding45
    I ve been following your channel for a long time. It is really inspiring¡¡
    Maybe you could tell me, upon on your experience, which courses, programs or schools worth it in order to not depend as much of be selftaught. Thanks for your help and for the channel, It is really helpful :)
  • PixelMasher
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelMasher veteran polycounter
    for me when I was learning back in the day, my main sources of info were oldschool Gnomon dvds I bought. Nowdays there is so much high quality stuff out there from people working in the industry I think there are a ton of good options. CGMA always gets rave reviews, there is the mentor collective etc 

but my biggest piece of advice is: for every hour you spend in a course/watching tutorials, spend 10 actually executing and doing what was taught. that ratio will get you where you want to be so much faster than sitting around watching tutorial after tutorial looking for the perfect source of info :) just start getting your hands messy, it's totally ok to make mistakes and just figure out what you really enjoy doing first.
  • Kolding45
    Thanks you so much¡ I will follow your advice, for sure :)

• Taylor Brown
    Offline / Send Message
    Taylor Brown ngon master
    to echo pixelmasher: tutorials are great to give you a general idea of how to do something but even better when they answer a question / roadblock you're having on a project. that's when the knowledge really gets cemented in your head.