Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Completed - Megumin

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
serpentine19 polycounter lvl 7
!!! Completed !!!

Been working on this for a while now and is about time to get some feedback as it gets nearer to the end of the sculpting phase. Just got done doing most of the hair with the next challenge being the trim on the cape and the mouth that has been redone about 8 times now, lol. The latest attempt was pretty solid but I know it can be done better.

Based on this Reference:

Replies

• serpentine19
    Offline / Send Message
    Turntable update!
    First time using Zbrushes turntable movie feature. Primary changes here are the cape which had to be redone slightly to include workable polygroups for the collar and trim, thickness given to the dress and additional fabric creases and folds pretty much everywhere. And yes, the turntable cuts the hat off a bit, but I wasn't going to waste another 40 minutes waiting for the render, lol.

• serpentine19
    Offline / Send Message
    Haven't updated this in a while and there's been quite a bit of progress since. Low poly done, textures mostly done and rigged. Quite a few learning points along the way and some still to come. Pretty happy with how its showing up in unreal at the moment with one caveat, the lighting seems to be getting blown out with details like the bandaged leg barely showing up at all.

• serpentine19
    Offline / Send Message
    The hero pose rendered inside UE4. One more pose to try after this and that will probably be this project finished.

• serpentine19
    Offline / Send Message
    Project completed!

You can view the final renders and breakdowns on artstation.

One of the biggest lessons I learned from this project was to not model capes as show pieces. I modeled the cape in action with folds and then had the great idea of forming the topology around it. This caused a few problems when it came time to pose and weight paint. Moving forward onto the next project I will be shifting style to more realistic with the primary aim to learn realistic hair. More on that to come soon.