Home Marmoset

Mirror seam on normal map.

interpolator
Offline / Send Message
Udjani interpolator
I thought that i was able to figure out problems when baking normals but i guess i can't xD. Having problem with only one mirrored piece in my scene, i am using the right tangent space, and i also have tried to make the shading on the lowpoly flat using sharp edges but the seam persists, also tried the ''Fix Mirrored Tangents''.  It's weird because this seam is only showing in front of this piece, behind it is clean.

Gets wors from afar.

Can't be padding issues, each small square contains 4 pixels, so the gaps are bigger than 16 pixels.

Replies

• EarthQuake
    Are you baking and displaying in Toolbag, or baking in another app?

One thing to try: make sure you've triangulated the mesh. Triangulation can diverge from one side of the mesh to the other when you're mirroring.
  • Udjani
    Offline / Send Message
    Udjani interpolator
    @EarthQuake, Was baked in marmoset, it was also triangulated befor exporting. 

I kept testing it after the post, for some weird reason a different uv layout in a new marmoset scene and the seam is almost gone, still there, but much harder to see it.
  • EarthQuake
    Udjani said:
    @EarthQuake, Was baked in marmoset, it was also triangulated befor exporting. 

I kept testing it after the post, for some weird reason a different uv layout in a new marmoset scene and the seam is almost gone, still there, but much harder to see it.
    Interesting - one thing with UV seams, generally speaking if you zoom in close in enough (or your texture is low resolution enough) you can generally always spot them, especially with a reflective material. So if you're new UV layout & bakes have more resolution for that area it may be less noticeable. Usually when you have a full textured material on it it won't be visible.
  • Udjani
    Offline / Send Message
    Udjani interpolator
    @EarthQuakeYeah after i changed the layout i though about that and tested baking it in 4k, but the seam still there. I am starting to think that it can be an issue with my pc as it is an absolute trash can with outdated gpu and cpu. Anyways i will send you the fbx by pm if you want to take a look.