Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Sunbringer - Texturing project I really would like some feedback on.

polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
Thomas_Smith polycounter lvl 3
100% PBR. I didn't model this, so I'm just looking for advice on the textures. Any suggestions to improve are greatly appreciated!

Model by: J_Son
https://sketchfab.com/3d-models/shield-36bb8d9a85d148e6b3cfd3550aca8569

Replies

• Thomas_Smith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Ashervisalis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ashervisalis grand marshal polycounter
    Hey bud,

Your wood has grain running in 2 directions, and in the center part, the 2 different grains are running perpendicular to each other, which isn't making much sense. The shield looks really new and kind of looks like you just put a few materials on the shield in Painter, then called it a day.

If I saw a guy on the battlefield holding this, I'd for sure challenge him, because it would seem like he's not been in a fight yet. Either that or the guy goes through shields on the daily, and is important enough to get a new shiny one every day ;)

One of the grain directions looks stylized, but the model isn't really stylized. If you look at the back of the shield, as marked in my image below, you can see where the smart material was not grabbing the entire edge, most likely due an improper bake.

I'd maybe throw the word 'texturing' into the project title on your ArtStation page, because you need to dig into the description to know it was not modeled by you. Maybe throw a link to J_son at the top of the description too? It's a pretty cool shield.
  • Thomas_Smith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Ashervisalis

Thanks for the advice, the double grain direction slipped past me, I have a few layers in there while I was testing out the grain, forgot to remove one. 
    In terms of making the shield less 'new' is there anything you would suggest? I was planning to add rust drip to the nails in the back and rust along the seams. 

Thank so much for the critique :)
  • Ashervisalis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ashervisalis grand marshal polycounter
    Hm... Large damage marks, which could be added in the texturing stage. Mud or dirt from being on a super muddy field. Your wood texture's colour is pretty uniform across the entire thing. Do you have any references for the style of texturing you were aiming for?