Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Help and feedback for my Pepperbox Gun

R4DSUN
polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
R4DSUN polycounter lvl 3
Hi everyone,

I made this gun along with its container and accessories as a practice. Also, it has been a while since I have touched anything 3D related(this includes texturing and lighting), so I was hoping you guys can give me some feedback on what to improve. Here are some of the test renders, Cheers for your help! :):):)

Replies

• Zi0
    Offline / Send Message
    Zi0 polycounter
    The detail on the barrel is so dense it starts to look like noise when you are not zoomed in on the barrel.
  • Daf57
    Offline / Send Message
    Daf57 polycounter lvl 9
    Love the model - nice work! Got to agree with ZiO - the pattern on the barrels is too busy. It would look, IMO, so much nicer with engraving similar  to section after the grips. :)
  • R4DSUN
    Offline / Send Message
    R4DSUN polycounter lvl 3
    Cheers for the feedback guys! :3:3:3 will try and fixit!
  • R4DSUN
    Offline / Send Message
    R4DSUN polycounter lvl 3
    Alright, I did a small fix for the barrel and tried to add some details to it. What do you guys think? would it be better if it was plain or with a little engraving?

• jakemoyo
    Offline / Send Message
    jakemoyo polycounter lvl 4
    Looking good for sure dude!

I would say that you could maybe put the ornamental detail back on, I think that it looked cool but i would say it just needed to be scaled up so it didnt just turn to mush at a distance. Id say if you were to match its scale to the ornament you left there itd look okay again. 

One thing thats standing out to me is the different flow of the grain on the handle versus the normal detail you have, i would definitely get those aligned in the same direction. Seems like thats happening a bit on the box as well, though that might be able to be attributed to scratches/wear, but Id look into it.

Also in most of the ref I'm seeing the grain will be aligned with the line of best fit with the curve of the handle, it'll usually never go perpendicular like that, it tends to compromise the structural integrity of the wood to just cut across it .

In addition i would look at the metallness map and make sure that its not too grey. the metal parts of your model kind of have that waxy, metallic-at-.5 look to me.

keep it up though!
  • JamesBrisnehan
    Offline / Send Message
    JamesBrisnehan polycounter
    I like it with the little bit of engraving on the barrel. It just needs the AO treatment you gave to the big engravings in the middle to stand out a bit more. And maybe tone down the grunge and noise on the barrels a bit. Other than that, it's looking pretty cool.
  • R4DSUN
    Offline / Send Message
    R4DSUN polycounter lvl 3
    jakemoyo said:
    Looking good for sure dude!

I would say that you could maybe put the ornamental detail back on, I think that it looked cool but i would say it just needed to be scaled up so it didnt just turn to mush at a distance. Id say if you were to match its scale to the ornament you left there itd look okay again. 

One thing thats standing out to me is the different flow of the grain on the handle versus the normal detail you have, i would definitely get those aligned in the same direction. Seems like thats happening a bit on the box as well, though that might be able to be attributed to scratches/wear, but Id look into it.

Also in most of the ref I'm seeing the grain will be aligned with the line of best fit with the curve of the handle, it'll usually never go perpendicular like that, it tends to compromise the structural integrity of the wood to just cut across it .

In addition i would look at the metallness map and make sure that its not too grey. the metal parts of your model kind of have that waxy, metallic-at-.5 look to me.

keep it up though!
    Cheers for the feedback my dud! tbh, I didnt even notice the wood grain until you've pointed it out :o:o, well spotted :)!
  • R4DSUN
    Offline / Send Message
    R4DSUN polycounter lvl 3
    I like it with the little bit of engraving on the barrel. It just needs the AO treatment you gave to the big engravings in the middle to stand out a bit more. And maybe tone down the grunge and noise on the barrels a bit. Other than that, it's looking pretty cool.
    Thanks Man! will try and improve it more :):)  
  • R4DSUN
    Offline / Send Message
    R4DSUN polycounter lvl 3
    Well, its a bit late, but I've managed to finish it despite having life challenges that delayed my progress. I would conclude this project and move on with a new one, Thanks guys for helping me out!

• Ashervisalis
    Offline / Send Message
    Ashervisalis grand marshal polycounter
    I want this gun!!