Home General Discussion

Drawing tablet or mouse for digital sculpting of the character?

focus_method
polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
focus_method polycounter lvl 4
Hello,
I was thinking about this lately...
How much is important to use tablet for digital sculpting of 3d characters? what about mouse?
Could you share your best work or the work of other 3d artists that is done by mouse (without tablet) ?

Replies

• Alex_J
    Offline / Send Message
    Alex_J grand marshal polycounter
    Tablet is essential.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Drawing/sculpting with a mouse is like flossing with a potato.

Mouse uses mostly forearm, large motor skills. Pen uses mostly finger movements, refined small motor skills. 
  • Andreicus
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreicus polycounter lvl 6
    It's very important especially for detailing and sculpting with precision. The workflow is also more relaxed in my opinion like when you make ornaments. 

Nowadays thankfully Wacom is not the only brand on the market anymore, there are many companies like huion that offers great quality tablet at a reasonable price. 
  • Alex_J
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreicus said:
    It's very important especially for detailing and sculpting with precision. The workflow is also more relaxed in my opinion like when you make ornaments. 

Nowadays thankfully Wacom is not the only brand on the market anymore, there are many companies like huion that offers great quality tablet at a reasonable price. 

You can find used wacoms for a steep discount though. I have only used wacom but from what I've read here it is still the best quality. I've bought two wacom tablets, both for less than 150 usd. Both were used but with warranty from amazon and I've used them for several years with no issues. The little bamboo (the cheapest one) is more than adequate and has a nice feel.
  • focus_method
    Offline / Send Message
    focus_method polycounter lvl 4
    how much is important the size  of tablet ?
    the bigger the better or  the small one is fine ?
  • Alex_J
    Offline / Send Message
    small works fine for me. I've had the smallest size and the medium size. On the medium size one I rarely use all the space.

Maybe it's different for people with traditioanl art background and doing more graphic design. They might be accustomed to making bigger strokes or somethihng. But for me, small works fine.
  • sacboi
    Offline / Send Message
    sacboi high dynamic range
    ^ Yeah agreed, the Bambo (...mine's 6yrs old) tho lower end of the price point scale however still delivers not only on feature set but IMO versatility as well, in terms of intuitive utility I.e. both sculpts and digital painting...so for me stable as a rock : )
  • Andreicus
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreicus polycounter lvl 6
    Andreicus said:

You can find used wacoms for a steep discount though. I have only used wacom but from what I've read here it is still the best quality. I've bought two wacom tablets, both for less than 150 usd. Both were used but with warranty from amazon and I've used them for several years with no issues. The little bamboo (the cheapest one) is more than adequate and has a nice feel.
    I had Wacom before switching to Huion and the quality is the same, both hardware and software, the difference is that you don't pay x4 time it's real value.
    In the past Wacom was superior but nowadays is not the case anymore fortunately.

Regarding the size for the OP, i recommend getting a medium size tablet because with the small one ( wacom intuos ) i had wristpain every time. Now i use the Huion HS610 that is bigger than the medium of wacom but smaller than the large and i don't have any problem.
  • Alemja
    Offline / Send Message
    Alemja quad damage
    Going to have to echo what some other people have mentioned, I used to use Wacom, but I switched after my trusty intous 3 was starting to bite the dust. I picked up a Huion Inspiroy H950P about a year or 2 ago and I like it a lot better than the Intous Pros I used at work. I haven't had too many issues with it, it's smaller than the medium Intous 3 I had, but the drawing surface is bigger (much smaller bezels) and it's thinner and a little smaller than the Intous pro small, but again bigger drawing area.. The issues I have had are easily solvable or worked around, like sometimes it needs to be unplugged/plugged due to the connection to the tablet being a little loose, and the pen pressure gets kinda weird when I have both photoshop CS5 and zbrush open, but usually when I have them both open I'm not doing any heavy work anyway, just screenshot compiling.

Honestly at $80 this thing was a steal, and I don't see myself going back to Wacom anytime soon.