Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Some handsome hands (critique is highly welcomed)

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
jozin polycounter lvl 6
Hello guys! This is some basic sculpt of hands, any critique is welcomed and any feedback is appreciated , because the next step will be adding some details, and it could be hard  to do some correction at that stage

Replies

• jozin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jozin polycounter lvl 6
    Some minor shape correction + retopo/preparing for high res sculpting

• jozin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jozin polycounter lvl 6
  • JamesBrisnehan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JamesBrisnehan polycounter
    Looks pretty good as a block out, definitely smooth out the lumpy areas when you move on to the refinement stage. I feel like The thumb, the palm, and the wrist could use some more muscle and fat tissue though. He's looking malnourished, unless that's the look you're going for. Also there are some weird pinched lines forming in the spaces between the fingers.  It might be the normal tendons or something, but it kind of looks like topology issues. Other than that it looks like a great start, as far as this environment artist can tell.
  • jozin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jozin polycounter lvl 6
    @JamesBrisnehan Many thanks dude for you critics, now I know I need to eat more food or maybe  this is due to extensive guitar playing))  Btw now I clearly see there is definitely not enough bulk considering the back of the thumb and mb  membranes between the fingers is too thin , here is some ref to what im trying to achive (this not mine hands but quite much similar)
    https://imgur.com/PPhszFP
  • kanga
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kanga quad damage
    Did you stat sculpting from a hi res mesh? Its looking a bit that way.  There are really no sinks in the human body rather a collection of convex shapes. The areas by the underside of the wrists is way too sunken. There really wouldnt be room for the bones. Best strategy is to iron out the shape in lower poly form and then increase the res with the detail.
  • jozin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jozin polycounter lvl 6
    @kanga thank you for you replying but couldn't agree with you because in my previous post there is a link to hand photo with sunken areas near the wrists, also tons of similar hands on google, just type 'slim human hands'. Actually there is no bones in these area just two tendons from thumb to wrist, and thumb bone is between then, check your own hand to ensure)).  btw no time to improve, so you can check the final result if you're interested
    https://artstn.co/p/9egyDN

• Nuclear Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nuclear Angel polycounter
    Hey Jozin, it feels like you missed a point by Kanga, which is that you have sculpted your primary and secondary forms with to many Polygons. You should have worked at a lower subdivision and captured the shapes of your reference that way as right now the end result looks blobby and quite messy. The details look alright, but the foundation should be solid. 
  • jozin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jozin polycounter lvl 6
    @Nuclear Angel  Thanks dude I understand what you talking about, but my approach to low poly is quite simple : 1) take free low poly hand model with predefined uv 2) use zwrap to project from highpoly to lowpoly. Another option is to use zbrush or 3dcoat to lowpoly over the midpoly (yes, the model is actually midpoly -100k with some subdivisions on it), then project details from high poly (29 mil tris). For now I'm abit tired, but when it's boiling down to animation and stress maps, I should definitely build some lowpoly from this. But due to huge amount of stress maps, it seems simplier for me to build all hand animations via layer morphing, and only after this start thinking about lowpoly.
  • Nuclear Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nuclear Angel polycounter
    It feels like you are missing my point. I am not talking about your lowpoly situation at all.

What I am saying is that when you are sculpting you seem to have worked on a to high subdivision to start with. So your end highpoly or whichever level of poly you end up with looks blobby and unnatural. 
  • kanga
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kanga quad damage
    Yeah. Forget all the other stuff for now.  Just concentrate on the base poly level and build it from there.