Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[Finished] Metro station (UE4)

Dolgaror
polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
Dolgaror polycounter lvl 8
Hello !

I'm currently working on a new portfolio piece which is a metro station. This environment is largely inspired by metro 2033 and metro last light games even if i'm not trying to reproduce an exact same scene as in the games.
Because it's hard for me to know if i'm going in the right direction with this project, any critics and feedbacks are more than welcome.  :)
I will try to update this thread every week with my progress on the scene.

I'm currently still in the blockout stage. 
I need to say that i did not create the character. Also, i just did a quick lighting pass just to figure out how it could look in the end, but it's not definitive at all.

Replies

• Dolgaror
    Offline / Send Message
    I didn't have the time to work on my project in the past weeks but here are some little progress in the scene.

I changed the train platform architecture for arches, i think it's better. I also have changed the cabin to better fit inside the arch.
    Finally i've begin to create the floor material in substance designer, but i'm not happy with it for now so i will update it later.

• snake85027
    Offline / Send Message
    snake85027 polycounter lvl 18
  • Auldbenkenobi
    Offline / Send Message
    Auldbenkenobi polycounter lvl 11
    Solid start, looking forward to seeing it progress
  • Dolgaror
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello !

Little progress of the week.

I've increased a little the size of the tunnel, he is now taller. I also created a vertex blend material on the tile floor wich allow me to add darker color in some places, puddles and also dirt within the interstices and on the tiles. Still some work to do with this material but it is better. 

I'm trying to build my first trim sheet and i've begun with the wood part. I still have some difficulties figuring out how it works, which size should my trims be but it's becoming less confused with time. 

I've finally made some minor lighting tweak.

• Zalek4
    Offline / Send Message
    Zalek4 polycounter lvl 5
    Looking good so far! Nice shapes and everything is reading well.

Trimsheets are hard to learn! I struggled with creating one for the last project I did. This tutorial by Tim Simpson helped me a ton:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IziIY674NAw

Also, I noticed this black line in the middle of your floor. Not sure what it is, but I think it breaks the composition a little bit.

• Dolgaror
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you !

Yes polygon Academy's tutorials are awesome. Probably the best i've found concerning trim sheet. But it's still hard haha.

The black line is the shadow coming from a rope wich is hanging on top (barely visible on top of the screen). This rope is supposed to dry the laundry but i'm not sure if i will keep it. I will try to put cloth on it and see what I get.
  • Dolgaror
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello !

This week i've made more improvements than before. 

I added a few little storage cabin fixed to the wall. I added an other cabin which is supposed to be some kind of control post, where metro resident have to present their passport.

I've continued working on my trim sheet and started texturing different pieces of the environment with it. I have combined my trim texture with vertex blending to hide repetition and bring more variation to my scene.

I have the feeling that the scene is becoming quite visually noisy with the textures, I may rework the lisibility of the scene later.
    I also think that the floor is not in cohesion with the rest of this environment so il will probably rework that too.

I plan to add even more cabin and houses or little shop in the upper part of the metro.

• Dolgaror
    Offline / Send Message
    Since last time I kept adding some details to my houses. I also textured a few more objects and rearrange the upper fences. 
    I played a little with lights and volumetric fog. Still a lot of work though .

• Dolgaror
    Offline / Send Message
    A few improvements since last time, mainly on texturing side.
    I've begin to create an other trimsheet which is more based on metallic parts. I also created some material like a cinder block wall or a dirty ground. I've made a shader which allow me to blend by vertex color between two material and this create a depth feeling between them.

• JesseL
    Offline / Send Message
    JesseL polycounter lvl 5
    Its coming together nicely! one of the things you might notice with Metro games enviroments is they are heavily changed by the humans that live there. Emulating life isnt easy but I hope to see more of that implemented

Also you might want to brighten it up more, add more lights etc... just because its a metro doesnt mean it has to be pitch black. You can turn off lights where needed later
  • eika
    Yes add more light, here its a bit dark i find 
  • Dolgaror
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you ! Yes you're right I will implement more life into this environment. 
    And ok for the lights, I didn't notice that it was feeling too dark, thanks for pointing this out.  :)
  • Dolgaror
    Offline / Send Message
    I've not work much on lighting for now, just raise a little the luminosity of the scene.
    I reworked some elements and added new one, mainly some props and decoration objects. 
    I textured the draisine but i think it's laking some details so I will add various decals on it and some props to complete her.
    I will continue adding decoration object and decals on the walls, floor in order to understand that people live here.

• Brain_Slave
    Offline / Send Message
    Brain_Slave polycounter lvl 4
    Some decorations would certainly help (I'm thinking of some carpets in front of the building, maybe some smaller props around).

You also might want to increase the warmth temperature of barrel's fireplace, it feels a bit cold right now.

Everything else looks good, keep it up :)
  • Dolgaror
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you ! Yes definitely I will add decorations and the carpet seems an interesting idea !  :)
    I will improve the feel of the fireplace, thanks for that 

• Dolgaror
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello !
    Since last time i worked a little on lighting to brighten the scene and to have less black shadowed area.
    I added various props throughout the scene. I also started making a few decals such as papers on wall, newspaper. I will refine them later and add more decals
    I did not create the fire effect which come from a particle effect pack on Unreal store

• Dolgaror
    Offline / Send Message
    I finally made some adjustements regarding lighting and overall feels of the scene. I created a few more props and rework a little the floor. I will add a few more props and some decals, and refine again the final render and i think i will finish this environment.
    3 screenshots this time from different perspective. 

• skullsplitter
    Offline / Send Message
    skullsplitter polycounter lvl 18
  • Brain_Slave
    Offline / Send Message
    Brain_Slave polycounter lvl 4
  • jmguevara
    Offline / Send Message
    jmguevara polycounter lvl 2
    Really nice work :) 
  • snake85027
    Offline / Send Message
    snake85027 polycounter lvl 18
    this is why i love art. very nice
  • Dolgaror
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you to all !!  =)
    Here is my progress since last week. I added some sort of fences to better delimit the area where people have to get check their passeport to the guard post. I started creating some lantern and I will add lamp and lightbulb to have real light source and to avoid the lighting to come from nowhere. I changed a little some light color to see if I can get some interesting light color variation.
    I added a few props in some places. I also start building a dirt mask but i'm not sure if I will keep it in the end.

• RulazM
    This is awesome, thanks for sharing, any specifici tutorials you followed? (and can you share if there are some).
  • tynew
    Offline / Send Message
    tynew polycounter lvl 9
    It's really come along well good job! Huge fan of Stalker and Metro games, and it looks like it would fit right in. Since you're doing a dirt mask it might be worth adding some kind of dirt/rust blending in these areas to hide the obvious metal seams. 

Also, one thing that quickly drew my eye to rest was the clothesline up the top. I'm not sure if it's a good idea to make it busier, but because my eye rested there it made me compare that detail to the rest of the scene. 
  • Tejvir
    Offline / Send Message
    Tejvir polycounter lvl 5
    All looks superb, I don't know much but fire shadow look little weird shape.
  • Dolgaror
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you !!

@RulazM   Yes I Followed some tutorials about trim sheet worflow and lighting. I wanted to make use of trim sheet in my project so I followed the videos from Polygon academy , Game Texture and a paid tutorial called "Advanced Tiling Techniques for Environmental Design" By Alex Senechal. But even with this tutorials, I struggled with trim sheet.
    About lighting, I followed Lighting academy tutorials
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DipfrjCgYW8&list=PLBi3xvwvY3dk09fNSd7jrnEscXS_6_1p2 )  Polygon academy
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qODD-79i5_4 ) Game Texture
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=grN5Yd55UIM&list=PLqfZolvobgUDAm-c41cDR8NDA79UKuN4b ) Lighting Academy

@tynew You are right about the metal seams. I Tried to find a good way to hide this but haven't found it for now. I will search for solutions.  :)  About the clothing line I don't even know if I want to keep it. But I keep your feedback in mind.

@Tejvir I think this is because I add a light on top of the fire, I will rework this to have better shadow. Thanks to point this out

• Dolgaror
    Offline / Send Message
    This is the last time I post about this scene, I think I will add a few more decals, polish as much as I can the render and this will be finish. Do you see anything that really is not good or need to be changed ?

• Dolgaror
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello ! I've completed my project. I have not change many things since last time but you can check on my Artstation page for more screenshots and a video. Many thanks for your critics and feedbacks, and you've helped me to stay motivated and to finish this scene.  =)

https://www.artstation.com/artwork/RYoBeE