Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

My Tips for Lighting a Scene indoors Tested in Unity

polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
Mogyie polycounter lvl 5
Hi everyone this is a scene ive been working on but before i progressed any further i wanted to try a light study on my scene. So without further ado

This was my final result

Before the juicy research

Prior to any lighting and atmospheric adjustments my scene looked blank and lifeless. 

I went through youtube looking and researching lighting and atmospheric effects, with the help of unity and a bit of research i was able to understand and recreate lighting with the following.

TIPS and Tricks 

1. Volumetric Lighting, creates rays of light that give the effect of light hitting fog and or casting through objects giving a weighted atmosphere felling, you gotta love the rays but the downside is its very expensive on frame rate, consider before use.

2. Unity Post processing, give me that adjustment of sharpening and camera process effect for example think of it like applying a filter over your camera like what you see in snapchat and then run it realtime, it gives you the ability to make adjustments to how you want the camera to portray the scene and project that, it just as addictive as hiding a pimple with makeup :D this is also very expensive on frame rate, consider before use.

3. 3 point lighting is a must have in any scene it can really emphasize a scenes depth and character, as a posed to 1 directional light which can cast horrid shadows with 3 point lighting not only are there more light sources but these light sources can involve, directional, ambiant, point, the basis of 3 point is have a key light, a fill light and a backlight, these 3 things can be applied in any form from character to scene but generates beautiful compsition, mood and showcase to the the scene of certian elements that you want to draw attention to.

4. Using blue as shadow, and yellow as highlight makes a massive difference as aposed to black and white lighting, true lighting is blue for shadow and yellow for sun, only in night can we see this less so, as shadow is effected by any light that is cast but having a scene outside at night will present you with black shadows and light blue highlights, indoors at night shadow is effected by lightsource if you have a yellow downlight your shadow is going to be a warm blue tone, druing the day you will find indoors shadow is effected by highlights but have that blue shadow its not applied just in 3d but also traditionally in color drawing using blue trust me it works.

5. Particals such as dust go a long way and give a lovely atmospheric feeling to any enclosed space, they also help emphasize mood, emotion amd in some cases movement with a sense of depth and feeling especially in a environment scene particals are the icing on the cake :)

6. Bake that damn Ambiant oclussion unless you want lighting running real time even so bake the AO, that small pocket of shadow helps fill in some small details is going to help you so much, AO is very important to a scene, it brings the crevases and cracks with more depth and acts like a normal for light, AO is going to tie the whole scene together and make it feel more and more realistic.

I hope you all learned something im really happy i learned so much about lighting and it has helped push everything up so much.

Replies

• TheGabmeister
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TheGabmeister interpolator
    Mogyie said:
    4. Using blue as shadow, and yellow as highlight makes a massive difference as aposed to black and white lighting, true lighting is blue for shadow and yellow for sun, only in night can we see this less so, as shadow is effected by any light that is cast but having a scene outside at night will present you with black shadows and light blue highlights, indoors at night shadow is effected by lightsource if you have a yellow downlight your shadow is going to be a warm blue tone, druing the day you will find indoors shadow is effected by highlights but have that blue shadow its not applied just in 3d but also traditionally in color drawing using blue trust me it works.
    Nice tip. I've been wondering why my shadows look kinda weird. I'll try your advice.
  • Mogyie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mogyie polycounter lvl 5
    @TheGabmeister
    Hi thanx definently try and test it takes a little bit of fidilling to find the right blue for shadow and yellow for highlight with yellow dont add to much yellow tone keep it close to white yellow dont saturate the color tone keep them relatively muted in saturation for the best outcome only apply more deeper tone if your indoors :) 

Also the color of your lights inside for example you have a green lamp light your shadows will follow that hue, same with highlight 
    Try using blue and yellow or blue vs red for start they are great for begining lighting blue vs red is a great way to show warm and cool tones clashing and can offer a lovely effect on any model as another tip. :) 

Thank you so much for reading ask anything anytime ill be happy to help :)