Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[Finished] [UE4] Tokyo Alleyway Ramen

node
Offline / Send Message
Pixenal node
Been working on a small alleyway environment in UE4, added the majority of the medium to large sized props, also I left most of the textures only about 90% done in case I end up getting rid of any parts, so still gotta finish them off once I start polishing.

Replies

• Ashervisalis
    Offline / Send Message
    Ashervisalis grand marshal polycounter
    Looking cool. Maybe add a slight blue tint to the white lights?
  • Pixenal
    Offline / Send Message
    Pixenal node
    Blue light looks much nicer, thanks for the feedback.
    Also changed the position of some of the lights:

• TheGabmeister
    Offline / Send Message
    TheGabmeister interpolator
    Hmmm.... are you using primary reference for this scene? I checked the histogram of the screenshot above. It seems that a lot of the pixels are pure black. Or maybe you're making the scene intentionally dark?
  • Pixenal
    Offline / Send Message
    Pixenal node
    Now that you mention it, it is oddly dark considering the amount of lights in the scene, I'll work on lightening it up a bit, thanks for the feedback. Might try and aim for something closer to this, likely lighter (edited a wip in photoshop). 
    Also I've been using a mix of references.
  • Pixenal
    Offline / Send Message
    Pixenal node
    Made it a bit brighter (turns out I had the exposure set too high) and added some props:

• Zott
    Offline / Send Message
    Zott polycounter lvl 4
    This is coming along nicely! Nice job.

One thing that stands out to me is the bumps on the yellow non-slip sections on the sidewalk. The bumps look much larger and taller than similar ones I've seen IRL:

Nice job otherwise though, keep going :)
  • Pixenal
    Offline / Send Message
    Pixenal node
    Thanks for the feedback, I lowered the height and diameter of the bumps a bit (mostly the height), also added some gas meters (still gotta fix up the lightmap UVs):

• Pixenal
    Offline / Send Message
    Pixenal node
    Made the bumps smaller again and rearranged the tiles to make more sense (as to not direct people to walk into railings). Gonna join the parts where the striped tiles change direction, just mapping out their positions.

• Pixenal
    Offline / Send Message
    Pixenal node
    Added some more props and did some more work on the bits further into the alleyway, still got a few smaller models to make, and the lighting still needs work, there's some parts that are probably a bit too dark, also gunna try giving the street lights a more blueish tint, but other than that it seems to be getting fairly close to completion . Also gunna redo some props, the tarp above the ramen shop probably needs the most work.

• Pixenal
    Offline / Send Message
    Pixenal node
    Finished the environment: https://www.artstation.com/artwork/ybYLEJ

Ended up taking a bit longer than I thought it would as I had to take a break from working on it to work on a few other projects.

• NodrawNT
    Offline / Send Message
    NodrawNT polycounter lvl 6
    Hi, it looks good but it seems too clean ? Is tokyo that pristine ?
  • JosephIV
    Offline / Send Message
    JosephIV polycounter lvl 4
    =) He he, good job and "idem", some more atmosphere effect will look great too.
  • Pixenal
    Offline / Send Message
    Pixenal node
    NodrawNT said:
    I couldn't really find any examples of rubbish in the areas I was using as reference (mostly the Gotanda area), at least not stuff like packaging, is mostly just small specks and stuff, though as this is an alleyway I probably could have added some small rubbish around the garbage bags or under the air conditioners. Unless your referring to the materials, which I agree need more dirt and grunge looking back, at least more consistently, I think more variation in the color of the grunge would have helped as well.

JosephIV said:
    I definitely want to work on getting the atmosphere better in future projects, the fog kind of seems to exist in some spots but not much in others so I probably need to work on getting it more consistent (assuming you were referring to the fog)
  • NodrawNT
    Offline / Send Message
    NodrawNT polycounter lvl 6
    Pixenal said:
    NodrawNT said:
    I couldn't really find any examples of rubbish in the areas I was using as reference (mostly the Gotanda area), at least not stuff like packaging, is mostly just small specks and stuff, though as this is an alleyway I probably could have added some small rubbish around the garbage bags or under the air conditioners. Unless your referring to the materials, which I agree need more dirt and grunge looking back, at least more consistently, I think more variation in the color of the grunge would have helped as well.

JosephIV said:
    I definitely want to work on getting the atmosphere better in future projects, the fog kind of seems to exist in some spots but not much in others so I probably need to work on getting it more consistent (assuming you were referring to the fog)
    It's true the materials while looking good, look too clean for my taste but that's just my view on your scene. Despite this, it looks very good !