Home 2D Art Showcase & Critiques

[WIP] Fire Octopus Metal Witch Concept

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
MMKH polycounter lvl 11
Hello, I wanted to do something "fun" today to break the routine of 3D work to do some concept art. I found 3 random images from a random image generator and decided to come up with something that combines the main design elements, themes or feel from all of them, into a single creature or character design.

Here are the silhouettes so far (and the 3 reference images):

Should I add more reference images to get more visual information into the design? Or should I try to be more creative and try to add information which comes spontaneously through imagination? My motivation for starting this personal project was to be creative, but I am willing to make methodical iterations if it means that it will improve the design. Should I attempt to do some photo-bashing and paint-over to get a finished result faster, or continue to build this design from scratch? I am open to any comments and constructive critique along the way. Thanks. :)

Replies

• MMKH
    Offline / Send Message
    MMKH polycounter lvl 11
    joserigel said:
    Hey man, a lot of this looks good actually. 

However, the gesture on some of the pieces could be improved as it does not sell a story on what's really going on. Like no.13 looks great, 5 is Good, 6 Too. But some of the human ones, they don't really sell on what's going on. No. 15, 12 especially is not really clear upon what's going on. Is he bringing a staff? what is no.12 doing.

Anyways, that's what I think! Something to consider :)
    Hi joserigel, thanks for your comment! I may resume this project with your feedback in consideration after I complete a few more urgent projects :)