Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Knight Character Sculpt - WIP

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
MMKH polycounter lvl 11
Been resuming work on my character model for the Artstation #TheLegendOfKingArthur challenge. Just making a thread here to hopefully get some more exposure and feedback on the work done so far. Constructive comments are appreciated :)

Replies

• PolyHertz
    Offline / Send Message
    PolyHertz polycount lvl 666
    The armor block in looks fine so far, but the head definitely needs more work, and the hands are a bit too big.
  • MMKH
    Offline / Send Message
    MMKH polycounter lvl 11
    PolyHertz said:
    The armor block in looks fine so far, but the head definitely needs more work, and the hands are a bit too big.
    Hi PolyHertz, thanks for the comment! I agree, I will improve those areas very soon. Today I managed to get pretty much all of the armour done, and I will work on the head/face next. Also budgeting my time since we only have about a week to submit this for the contest, and I still plan to do the retopo, UVs, textures and final beauty shots. :)

• MMKH
    Offline / Send Message
    MMKH polycounter lvl 11
    Update: Mon. Jul. 29, 2019: Updated the face and added hair strands using this brush: https://www.pinterest.ca/pin/360358407665937449/
    (Because I will create hair strand textures with alpha channel (transparent background). Also made a few minor detail adjustments to the sabatons. :)

• MMKH
    Offline / Send Message
    MMKH polycounter lvl 11
    Update: Wed. Jul. 31, 2019: Retopo-ing the model :)

• MMKH
    Offline / Send Message
    MMKH polycounter lvl 11
    Update: Fri. Aug. 2, 2019: UV-mapped, material colour IDs assigned, and ready to be textured :)

UV set 1 (Upper Body):

UV set 2 (Lower Body & Props):

• MMKH
    Offline / Send Message
    MMKH polycounter lvl 11
    Update: Fri. Aug. 2, 2019: Started texturing with Substance Painter, laying down some base bakes to assist with the hand-painted process :)

• MMKH
    Offline / Send Message
    MMKH polycounter lvl 11
    Update Mon. Aug. 5, 2019: Submitted my entry this morning. It has been a good learning process. There have been some challenges along the way but this is what I've managed to get done in time. For example, this was really the first time I did hair on a character model, and I had to come up with something at the last minute.

I am hopeful that future works will be much better. :)
  • rollin
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter
    I would say the first thing you should improve is texturing skin and hair.
    And a tip: make the background gradient on your beauty shot from dark to mid grey (from top down) instead of the bright value

But I like the armor and as flat shaded version it looks already quite nice
  • MMKH
    Offline / Send Message
    MMKH polycounter lvl 11
    rollin said:
    I would say the first thing you should improve is texturing skin and hair.
    And a tip: make the background gradient on your beauty shot from dark to mid grey (from top down) instead of the bright value

But I like the armor and as flat shaded version it looks already quite nice
    Thanks rollin for the feedback. I agree, this was the first "semi-realistic" character I attempted and there is a lot to learn". I have heard about XGen for creating hair and started watching some tutorial videos on that.

Yeah I had some experience hand-painting diffuse textures in the past but wanted to see how it would look under PBR settings.

Since there is still a bit of time left, I will consider your suggestion for the beauty shot and make the changes :)

Edit: Updated my beauty shot submission with a darker grey gradient background now. You're right, it does look nicer and captures a better, darker mood for the character.