Home Technical Talk

Maya- Rigging robotic arm with wires/cables

Yogev
polycounter lvl 2
Offline / Send Message
Yogev polycounter lvl 2

So I have made this robot arm, and it works fine for the most part. I rigged the different parts it has, expect for the wires the need to follow it as move around. I wasn't sure what's the best way to approach such a thing would be, and I couldn't find anything like that in my google search, so I'm hoping one of you guys could help out. 

I thought about using 2-3 IK handles, manually position each joint, or possibly do something with the Wire Deformer. I also tried to use nHair to make it dynamic, but that got me confused, as I'm fairly new to both rigging and the dynamics system.

Replies

• Yerus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yerus polycounter lvl 4
    The wire joints have to be connected to the controllers as they need to be connected to the the rest of the rig, or they will never move along. 
    U should build a IK Spline Handle from the first to the penultimate joint of the wire's joint chain in order to obtain a better controll on the stretching/positioning of the wire. 
    Check out this tutorial on how to properly create a IK spline: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJrCGHTghhE , u don't need to follow every single step, but will help anyhow...