2019 Progress Book

polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
CallumBaws polycounter lvl 3

Replies

• CallumBaws
    Offline / Send Message
    Had a little play with the render settings in marmo and got some better renders to share!

• CallumBaws
    Offline / Send Message
    Been a hot minute since my last post.

Here's some work from december!

• CallumBaws
    Offline / Send Message

And here starts 2019

And my current project based on TrollFeetWalker's concept from Deviant art. https://www.deviantart.com/trollfeetwalker/art/Goblin-Babe-625933546

• CallumBaws
    Offline / Send Message
    Blocked in the hair over the week, gonna start refining the secondry shapes today and hopefully get this piece finished within the week!

Crit most welcome :smiley:
  • CallumBaws
    Offline / Send Message
  • CallumBaws
    Offline / Send Message
    So It's time to work on a new peice that I plan on making game ready. Based on the following concept of Dracula from Castlevania Lord of Shadows.

• CallumBaws
    Offline / Send Message
    Working on blocking in the shapes and volume.. any critique would be most welcome.
  • carvuliero
    Offline / Send Message
    carvuliero hero character
    Lets say he is on high heels of 1/2 head which should make him 9 heads tall and you could you Loomis heroic guy as proportional guide other wise you could you 9 1/2 fashion proportional chart

• CallumBaws
    Offline / Send Message
    Lets say he is on high heels of 1/2 head which should make him 9 heads tall and you could you Loomis heroic guy as proportional guide other wise you could you 9 1/2 fashion proportional chart
    Thanks for the feedback! I see what you're saying and I've just completely scrapped the first body and started from very basic shapes to get the silhoutte something I like then build up from there. Here's my current WIP!
    Still early days and arms confuse me but im much happier with this start
  • carvuliero
    Offline / Send Message
    I had some fun with one 3d scan and end up with this thing
    I will suggest to ignore muscles for a while big form and proportions are what you should concentrate on right now
    You could use evenly spaced dividers till you learn how to see proportions/relations , something like image on the right its 1:1 set up +
    if  you start with widest and narrowest section of the body you will have a bounding box for your sculpture to sit in
  • CallumBaws
    Offline / Send Message
    I had some fun with one 3d scan and end up with this thing
    I will suggest to ignore muscles for a while big form and proportions are what you should concentrate on right now
    You could use evenly spaced dividers till you learn how to see proportions/relations , something like image on the right its 1:1 set up +
    if  you start with widest and narrowest section of the body you will have a bounding box for your sculpture to sit in
    Thank you for the feedback!! That ref is really awesome it's helped me ALOT the last few days and hours I've had to play with my sculpt. Below is my current WIP. Still not satisfied with the arms and hands but I need to block in the clothing/armour cause looking at anatomy is driving me nuts!

• bkost
    Offline / Send Message
    bkost interpolator
    Hi @CallumBaws I'm running through an anatomy workshop right now and I feel your pain. It is a lot to understand and take in. Below I've done a quick paintover pointing out a few errors. I have provided a few reference pics of the arm and a turn around of a 3d scan that I have done a few planar strokes/outlined the muscles. 

First let's take a look at your arms, I'm currently studying the upper arm and forearms as well. It's the region I've been struggling with the most. So your wrist section needs some work. The forearm bones (Ulna and Radius) are not that small towards the distal end. Pay attention to the plane change from Ulna/Radius to the hand. Next is your Ridge muscles (Brachoradialis & ext. carpi radialis longus) flow, check out the outline of the scanned arm, the ridge muscles tuck in underneath the Tricep and Brachialis (small muscle next to bicep). Next check out the flatness of the back of the upper arm, this is the common tendon of the tricep muscle.

Now lets take a quick look at a couple mistakes on your torso. Pay attention to how the abs sit. Check out @carvuliero's 3d scan, you only really see 4 prominent masses below the rib cage. If this character were to have a six pack, the final two would sit ontop of the 5th rib. Finally we have the scapula issue on the back of the torso. This is an important bony landmark to indicate, right now the trapezius muscle is totally covering it. See ref pic below. I hope this clears things up a bit. I look forward to your cloth study. Cheers

• carvuliero
    Offline / Send Message
    @bkost wedge/ramp you have at the end of the forearm is not quite correct , that form should continue over carpal bones as whole form is created by bones + tendons + bursa [+ fat if there is any]

• bkost
    Offline / Send Message
    bkost interpolator
    @carvuliero ah yes, the extensor tendons would create a smoother transition and not so blocky or angled. I think it's important to note the angle change between the two styloid processes. The wrist connection has an interesting shape. I'm still learning as well! Thank you for the notice

• CallumBaws
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the feedback guys I see what you're saying about the wrist especially.. I've worked a little on it but its just more of a temporary fix before I do another pass on the arms and body. Done some basic blockouts of the belt not had much time recently to work on him but expect another update thursday/friday :)

• CallumBaws
    Offline / Send Message
    Tiny bit more work on the belt.. might zremesh with the zguide to ge some nicer shapes but not confident doing that. for now gonna play with marvelous for the skirts and figure out how to make tears and holes in clothes :pensive:
  • CallumBaws
    Offline / Send Message
    Playing with marvelous designer and its bloody powerful tool. Might need to have a few itterations on the skirt to get it right.. for now this place holder will do. I also played with proportions a bit more, on the wrist arms back and pecs. Still not happy with the arms and back but hey ho!

Any critique would be awesome and some marvelous designer tips and tricks would be great.
  • carvuliero
    Offline / Send Message
    Last time I had to do something like that I used underskirt to retain the shape , you can freeze that and build on top of it
    My suggestion is to read few sewing blogs and found out how is something like that is made in real world , probably steal few sewing pattern from the good ppl there , they usually post them  ,this way your chance for success will be much higher
  • CallumBaws
    Offline / Send Message
    Struggling to motivate myself to sculpt and work recently but I managed to find some neat looking patterns online but I've stuck with what I made in the previous post, currently in the middle of wear and tear its taking a little time as im expermienting with it. I thought about making the bandaging in marvelous but im not sure how to get that folded bandage look.. some of the tuts on pinterest and YT seem decent but I think it might be easier to just maskit out in zbrush and extract and poly group the reigons I want but we shall see.. baby steps. 

Promise to post a WIP over the weekend! Watch this space!

• CallumBaws
    Offline / Send Message
    As promised my latest WIPS! Moving onto hair cards and pushing the face further.

• CallumBaws
    Offline / Send Message
    DId a thing while I work on hair cards cause man they're frustrating. Here's teh thing.

• bkost
    Offline / Send Message
    bkost interpolator
    Hey Callum. If you have any hair card questions, feel free to ask! 

Good idea to take a break and sculpt for fun, you don't wanna get burnt out. His shoulder and back anatomy look a little whacky

• CallumBaws
    Offline / Send Message
    I certaintly will, Im still working out Maya and baking down the xgen stuff I've made onto planes so that'll come soon. Still wanna work and push the HP further on dracula but yea need take a step back for a little while. I roughly posed the model above probably why it looks so wacked out. GOnna try and suclpt IN pose tomorrow maybe that';ll help!
  • bkost
    Offline / Send Message
    bkost interpolator
    I think it's because you're missing critical anatomy for the lower back. The Latissimus dorsi sits superficially to some important muscles. There are two spinal erectors, the central and lateral column. And dont forget the iliac spine/sacral triangle where the tailbone and rear pelvis bones meet. 

• HectorLucas
    Offline / Send Message
    HectorLucas polycounter lvl 2
    Hey Callum I particularly liked the sculpting of the orc girl very much. But why to leave it there and don't try to texture and render it with some SSS? I think it can turn out to be an impressive piece. 
  • CallumBaws
    Offline / Send Message
    @bkost thanks for the refs and feedback, Im gonna do some more dedicated study to the back and other parts of the body as my knowledge just isnt up to scratch.

@HectorLucas Hey im glad you enjoyed it! I dont know why I didn't push it further, at the time I was just wanting to do a full character, so I think i'll probably go back to her at some point, polish her up cause her face is a bit wobbely and yea get some texturing done. WIll be good stylized texturing practice so look out for that!

So jumping back into dracula after some time away, started with chaning up the face a little I really didnt like where it was at so you can see the changes here:

Hair is going okay, just need to bake down the Xgen into planes so I can start playing with it, might be time to start the LP on the body too. HP is done for the most part I'm thinking of re-making the bandages I jus thing the folds and creases are just a tiny bit too strong but maybe I've been looking at them for too long lol, some fresh eyes would be nice. Wish me luck!

• CallumBaws
    Offline / Send Message
    So jumping back into Dracula.. Im really unhappy with the belt so I've decided its going to be re-done, but Im not really sure how I should go about with the construction of it. If anyone has some nice tutorials or work flows for this kind of.. armour? clothing, then I'd appreciate all the help I can get!
  • CallumBaws
    Offline / Send Message
    So now im REALLY jumping back into dracula :smiley: I had a nice retop done for the body but i fused the bicep to the rib cage.. so back to the sculpt I went and adjusted that, and pushed the face further.. but i have since done more practice and wanna push the face MORE AHHHHHH so Im just gonna finish this now I wanna practice textures and polish one and just move onto the next one.
  • CallumBaws
    Offline / Send Message
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r2ZCy6TQUS8 Quick Body bake, happy with how its turned out thus far. Onto the clothes

• CallumBaws
    Offline / Send Message
    Low poly finished for now! Sitting at around 14k Poly's. Im thinking of re-doing the bandages but first Im gonna unwrap and test bake these bad boys. Next will be Hair!!! *-*

• CallumBaws
    Offline / Send Message
    Bakes done! onto hair.

• CallumBaws
    Offline / Send Message
    Hair cards below, probably gonna adjust these and add more but here it is currently.

• CallumBaws
    Offline / Send Message
    Early days skin textures! painting pale skin is a new kind of challenge but a fun one to figure out. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated as texturing is one of my weaker areas!

• CallumBaws
    Offline / Send Message
    Tried to push myself by completing a character in a day, it was a long day but fun none the less! here's the fruits of my labour
  • CallumBaws
    Offline / Send Message
    So I've had to let this one die, im not gonna put any more work into it I need to do other projects, so here's the final renders!

• CallumBaws
    Offline / Send Message
    Starting fresh with some face studies, any feedback would be awesome and greatly appreciated
    Here's my ref: 

• CallumBaws
    Offline / Send Message
    Slowly getting onto the grind again this month, well october. Here's some of my wips.

• CallumBaws
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello! Another monthly update, heres the WIPS from Novemeber, not done a whole lot of sculpting recently but I have started a new project which Im excited to showcase.