Home Technical Talk

Dynamic Joint Chain advice

interpolator
Offline / Send Message
JohnnyH interpolator
Hello everyone -

I'm working through the final stages of this character and have realized I'm not going to be able to get away with just the unreal cloth tool to simulate the drape-y pieces of cloth attaching her wrist and back:

It seems like from the investigating I've done that the best thing to do would be use a dynamic joint chain to control the drape (maybe I'll add some small amount of cloth sim on top in unreal)

I've watched several tutorials, including this one - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQRAdsv3_OM 

My issue is I'm not sure how to go about how to incorporate this into my rig? I'm not confident what I should be doing to constrain the beginning of the chain to the back and the end of the chain to her wrist. I would appreciate it if anyone has any clever ideas!

Replies

• GlowingPotato
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GlowingPotato polycounter lvl 10
    I would definitely make this piece a separate skeletal mesh and attach it to the character in unreal. 
    There is a couple of Paragon characters (that you can download for free in unreal store) that have similar clothing accessories and all sorts of dangling pieces of armor. You can download it and check their physics assets to see how it was build.
  • JohnnyH
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JohnnyH interpolator
    Hey man, thanks for the reply!

I've downloaded Killari and Revenant as they have chain-like things, and it seems that in both cases they're actually using one skeletal mesh and that they are all rigged together in the physics asset - Unless I'm misunderstanding you?

Your suggestion is to create the drapes as an entirely different skeletal mesh (with it's own skeleton and physics asset) and then link them together?